Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
733 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My girl started barking for attention today. I have been ignoring her but I have googled other ways to stop it. I also want to teach her 'quiet' anyway .

One site said get like a plant water spray and say 'quiet' and spray them until they are quiet then praise them. But I am not sure.

How have you guys managed it?

·
Administrator
5,713 Posts
I am the same, I don't like using aversives to train dogs either. Unwanted barking is something I still struggle with. Usually I ask the dog who is barking to do something else, (sit, come, watch me, whatever) so partly distraction and partly so I can praise them for doing something right.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Without aversives, the dog never truly learns what the unwanted behavior is. They do need to be told NO. Redirecting stops the behavior temporarily, but doesn't teach them not to do it. For the barking, I clap my hands and say No firmly. If it didn't stop immediately they were put in the crate for a little bit to chill out. If they are barking for attention, I would say "quiet" once, wait a fee seconds, then put them in the crate until they can relax and quit barking. Never let them know you are frustrated or irritated, just remain calm about it. As for using a water bottle, they don't work well long term. You end up with a wet dog and they learn that the water bottle is your "weapon." If you don't have it, you're out of luck. Teaches no respect for you. Neither of mine bark for attention or bark at things outsides. They only bark if someone approaches the house or rings the doorbell. It is so nice to not have the stereotypical "yappy ankle biters".

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Administrator
5,713 Posts
I think you have to be absolutely certain why a dog is behaving a certain way before an aversive can be used successfully, otherwise they do more harm than good.
If the dog is just over excited and asking for attention, I think ignoring the barking is the correct approach.

·
Registered
5,614 Posts
I think it depends on why a dog is barking. I have animal trainer friends who used to live here and when I would visit them, their beagle would bark because he was excited and wanted attention. In this case, visitors were instructed to absolutely ignore him and not even look in his direction. He could be given attention once he calmed down, therefore enforcing the quiet, calm behaviour.

I have heard of people having success with the water bottle method and also citronella, but I don't know the safety of either.

·
Registered
945 Posts
I tried the water bottle, but didn't like it. Frodo's a bit of a barker, but never for attention. It's normally if he's in the house, and hears a noise from outside, or sees someone walking past the living room window. So I guess it's for territorial/defensive reasons. I don't want him to think that barking is always wrong, because he's doing it for valid reasons, but I do want him to stop when I want him to. After a few woods, I clap my hands to get his attention, then put my finger on my lips and tell him to 'hush'. Then he's praised for being quiet. It mostly works..... :D

1 - 6 of 6 Posts