Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
873 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Daisy has started being a barker. At the moment it is hot here, so we have the windows open, and whenever someone goes outside and makes a noise, or even if they just look through the window, she starts barking at them. If someone moves down the end of the garden (and we have a big garden so it's quite a way away) and she sees them, then she barks like crazy.
I've tried taking her to the window so she can see that it's only someone she knows, but she still barks.
I've tried saying 'Stop it!' too.
It doesn't seem to work.

I've heard about a fear period, so is she going through something like that? Because we blew up a balloon yesterday and she barked at it and hid from it, so maybe she is going through a fear phase?
Will she just grow out of this?

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
I would definitely try to discourage the behaviour, and you may have your work cut out for you.

I have two 'barkers'. They will bark at me when I go upstairs and come back down!

I've tried a couple of different methods with them...The first was placing a few pennies in a pop can, and covering it with duct tape. I kept it nearby at all times, and everytime they barked, I said "no bark" and shook the can at them. This worked great for awhile, and then they got over it. :(

Then, we got some of the corrector spray...Just a blast of air their way when they barked with the 'no bark' command. That worked for awhile, too.

Most of the time now, if I can catch them before they get started, I can stop them with a very low tone "no bark" command. This works inside and outside, but ONLY if I catch them before they start barking. If they start before I realize they are going to do it, I have to really, really scold them to get them to stop.

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
I use a squirt bottle of water. It helps if I catch them before they get into the barking. I have one or two that bark all the time. Delilah barks at my son and brother if they are in the kitchen which really irritates them. And me. lol She is slowly learning the no bark rule with the help of the spray bottle. The rest only bark hysterically if my son or brother walk by and I am not in the room or if the two of them are in the room and walk/wheel out. If I am out of the room for two long, Reggie, Isis and Smoke will start barking that quickly escalates until all the dogs are barking/howling. Then it's hard to get them to stop. Especially when Smoke and Isis run outside on the patio to howl. I would love to know how to get them to stop barking when I am not in the room.

·
Registered
3,235 Posts
Oh cute but not, Amberleah has not did one peep yet. well take that back I thought I heard a little bark the other day but not sure. with my pom's I used the can with penny's and sq bottle. worked pretty good.

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
hi i wouldnt like alot of barking my neighbor had a dog ive never seen him he was behind a wood fence but he bark as long as they allow it my buster will bark at something he feels is a threat to our household other than that hes very quiet hes a good boy

1 - 6 of 6 Posts