Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What age do they stop growing? i'm interested in a 6 month old bitch, the breeder has said she is around 3lbs right now...so i'm wondering how much bigger she may get....I don't want one too small...4-5lbs would be more ideal. I just lost a 3lb yorkie aged just 3 to a brain tumour and she was a very tiny 3lbs...she was beautiful and i'm totally devastated at her loss but i'm not sure i would want one that tiny again.
Any advice would be much appreciated.

Kindest regards, Kez x

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
My guess would be she'd top out at 4.5 pounds. They do quite a bit of growing even after 6 months and fill out up to about 14 months or so.

·
Premium Member
16,071 Posts
I agree with Tracy. About 4.5 lbs. At about 1 year old you can figure their height and length is complete. They'll fill out after that until about 18 months.

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
my girl was around 3lbs at 6 mths , she has now weighed 4.7lb for a long time now hasn't budged , so i would go with what everyone is saying :)

·
Registered
7,637 Posts
I'd also ask the breeder if they kept her till 6 months try were either keeping her for breeding or showing purposes they should know their lines well although nit every dog grows at that rate (it's frustrating when they don't I'm in that boat now lol)

Pictures please

·
Registered
2,206 Posts
Just to give you a frame of reference, I rescued Tango when he was around 7 months old. He was 2 lb 4 ounces at that time. At his mature weight, he's 3 lb 8 oz. So he gained a little over a pound between that 7 months mark and his adult weight.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'd also ask the breeder if they kept her till 6 months try were either keeping her for breeding or showing purposes they should know their lines well although nit every dog grows at that rate (it's frustrating when they don't I'm in that boat now lol)

Pictures please
I have been emailing her breeder and we are meeting at a Chihuahua show in a couple of weeks...I can't wait..I have never been to a Chi show before.
The breeder kept her till now (6 months of age) because she was booked at 10 weeks old by someone, but they mucked her around and kept putting off the date for collection...the day they were due to get her they texted her an hour before to say they didn't want her anymore!
Her breeder became very attached to her, so she decided to not advertise her and just put her as available on their website in the hope that the right home would come along eventually, and if not, she would stay with her.
So, i'll let you guys know what happens...hopefully she will think we are the right mummy & daddy for this little girl...she would certainly be spoilt!
I'll try to attach a picture of the Chi girl in question..taken when she was a very lil baby...have asked the breeder to email me more recent pics so i can see what she now looks like at 6 months.

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
Spaying before puberty prevents a bit of growing, and some people let their dogs have a season before fixing them so they can fully mature. (I didn't, I don't like the risks of not spaying.)

I second daisydoo too. A good, experienced breeder will have a great idea of their pups growth rates and adult weight better than outsiders can.

ETA: OMG that is the CUTEST little darling I've ever seen!

·
Banned
6,940 Posts
Spaying before puberty prevents a bit of growing, and some people let their dogs have a season before fixing them so they can fully mature. (I didn't, I don't like the risks of not spaying.)

I second daisydoo too. A good, experienced breeder will have a great idea of their pups growth rates and adult weight better than outsiders can.

ETA: OMG that is the CUTEST little darling I've ever seen!
Actually...dogs that are spayed/neutered often end up slightly taller/longer than their counterparts that are intact, but their bodies appear less mature/full. Their muscles just develop differently without the hormones. And often, dogs spayed/neutered will weigh a bit more than intact counter parts due to lowered metabolisms. Of course there is no "always" and it's not a one-size-fits-all, but spaying/neutering does NOT inhibit or slow growth, or result in a smaller sized adult at the end :) ALL pets should be spayed/neutered, though. If a dog is not show quality, it should NOT be bred, so therefore the easiest way to make sure of that is to spay/neuter.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Actually...I just found out her birth date is 2 june this year...so she is coming up to 5 months old and around 3lbs...guess that will make her around the 5lb mark when full grown? if so, that's a nice size...not too small or too 'big'! i'm waiting for the breeder to send me some more up to date pics...if she does, i'll post them to get your opinions.

·
Registered
5,665 Posts
We adopted Bella when she was 11 months old and weighed 4 pounds. Her first family fed her Beneful puppy dry food - Bella wasn't getting enough nutrients, was too skinny because her ribs and back bone were showing.

We immediately switched her dog food to Innova, gave her vitamins, and food enzymes. She filled out and kept growing in height and length until she was about 1.5 years old. Bella is now 4.5 years old and weighs 5 pounds. She is tall with a slender long body.

·
Premium Member
16,071 Posts
All of mine grew in height and length until they were 13 months old. They had growth spurts all on the same time lines. Grew consistently until 6 months, with a pretty good spurt at 3 and 5 months. Then one at 9 months, then their last small spurt, which completed their height and length at 13 months old. Then they just filled out until 18 months old.

I would say 5 lbs. grown would be close. :)

·
Registered
7,637 Posts
Heather kristi is right about spaying they tend to grow a little larger it takes longer for them to grow

Kezza shes lovely are you going to the BCC show in Slough then?? What's her breeders affix?? A few people here have pups from well known breeders!!

Honestly I would speak to the breeder about her weight tbh weight doesn't really tell that muh with their size they come in all different heights we have 3.5lb adult puppies who are taller than 5lb your best bet is looking at her parents and going from there!!

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Heather kristi is right about spaying they tend to grow a little larger it takes longer for them to grow

Kezza shes lovely are you going to the BCC show in Slough then?? What's her breeders affix?? A few people here have pups from well known breeders!!

Honestly I would speak to the breeder about her weight tbh weight doesn't really tell that muh with their size they come in all different heights we have 3.5lb adult puppies who are taller than 5lb your best bet is looking at her parents and going from there!!
yes!! i'm sooo looking forward to it! i have never been to a dog show ever! i'm really looking forward to admiring all the beautiful Chi's that will be on show!

Her kennel name is 'Narinchi'...we have emailed each other back & forth a few times and have arranged to meet her there...from her website her dogs are beauties! I know she is very attached to this girl, I hope she will deem us fit to own one of her babies!

·
Registered
7,637 Posts
Awww cool look out for the following dogs

Coltham music for dancing
Amarose lollipop
Samangie sunspark (Chloe did I get bs kc name right)
Copymear contradiction

They are all from here!!
We were gonna come NFC but I couldn't sort out childcare :)

You'll have a good day the dogs are lovely we went to the LCC last weekend :)

·
Premium Member
6,744 Posts

Amarose lollipop
Copymear contradiction

They are all from here!!

yes :)

and Maciendas Tuya at Samangie she may be in novice bitch with lollipop lol

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter #20

Amarose lollipop
Copymear contradiction

They are all from here!!

Hey thanks! i'll write those names down and look out for them!

attached a pic of the bitch i'm looking at...5 months old. (sorry if it's a bit on the small side!)

1 - 20 of 21 Posts