Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
621 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Nadia got herself a bath today!!!! and of course i took many pictures of the experience LOL. and just a quick question. i noticed after i blow dryed her, she has A lot of dandruff??? is this normal with chi's? i think its making her itch because when she wakes up in the morning she itches and like little dandruff comes off and she does it for like 5 minutes but doesnt do it any other time of the day. i dont know. but just a question.... also what kinda shampoo do you guys use on your chis?

3,132 Posts
She is toooo cute!!!!! :)

Bailey has some dander, but we have our heater on constantly now, its been so cold! We just bought a humidifier, so hopefully that will help all of us with our dry itchy skin and static shock! LOL

When he doesn't go to the groomer for his bath, I use baby shampoo on him. He smells sooo good after his bath! :D

·
Registered
621 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks:) ya i was thinking of using baby shampoo on her also. right now I'm using bed head for dogs LOL. but the baby shampoo may be a lot more gentle on her skin. the weather up here has been terrible. it was in the negative then up then down so that is probably why her dander is so bad....

·
Registered
2,024 Posts
I use a dog shampoo with oatmeal to sooth skin and then I have a leave in conditioner for dogs that I use to help with the dry skin this winter. I don't notice that Babs has dandruff/dry skin, but she's mostly white. Lovee I can really see her dandruff. So when she gets conditioned so does Babs.

·
Registered
16,946 Posts
my guy just started to get the dander if without washing him...it's from the cold...it dries up their skin and makes them itch like crazy. :( poor things. i even have the heater on at home and a portable one in my room when it gets really really cold but that doesnt seem to help much...waiting for the warmer weather to appear :) oh and very cute pics~!! hehe ^^

·
Registered
5,665 Posts
Awwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww.............She is very cute. The look on her face is priceless (LOL).

Dander and itching are signs of dry skin. Try giving her 1,000 mg. fish oil once a day mixed in with her dog food. Cut open a fish oil capsule and squeeze the oil directly into her dog food. Fish oil is rich in Omega 3 fatty acids and prevents and cures dry skin. Plus it will give her a glossy, soft fur coat. You will see positive results in about one month.

Both Bella and Lina get 1,000 mg. fish oil once a day, and they don't have dander or itchy dry skin.

·
Registered
184 Posts
I agree with a drop of fish oil daily but I don't bathe my chis...Every couple of months but I've always been told that you shouldn't because it does dry them out, brushing should help

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
Awww...

I use dog shampoo with oatmeal. It seems to do the trick, although Kali has seemed a bit itchy (from the evil weather, I'd assume.).

·
Registered
737 Posts
I LOVE Nadia, she is so precious! I absolutely adore her face and her expressions. She is just the cutest! :D

Oh, and I also use shampoo with oatmeal for their dry skin. I use Earthbath w/oatmeal. ;)

·
Registered
621 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
thanks everyone:) she makes the funniest faces with everything lol. im deffinetly gonna try the fish oil and try a oatmeal bath from now on... thanks for the advice:)

·
Registered
700 Posts
i use earth bath, carrera has dry skin too. we give her fish oil once a day, if you go ahead with doing that i heard it takes 12 weeks to take full effect.
i'm trying to find something else to go along with the fish oil to help her dry skin. I dont recommend blow drying though, that tends to dry their skin out more, inless its on the cool setting, we usually towel dry carrera really well, and wrap her in a blanket.

·
Registered
621 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
this is the second time ive givin her a bath. i have read that you should only bathe them about 2 a month?

·
Registered
174 Posts
We bath our Chis every fortnight and use a soap free everyday shampoo. We just towel dry them and they run round like crazy and rub themselves on a towel on the floor, then we just brush them.
They never get dry skin and with the soap free shampoo can be bathed as often as necessary.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts