Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
Just take off the sharp tip of the nail. Don't cut it too far back or you will hit the vein. I personally use a grinder to do nails as I think it's easier and faster. There are several posts about it if you search. ;)

·
Registered
1,576 Posts
Bella has some nails that are black, and some that are white..obviously, the white ones are super easy, but the black ones are a little harder to do..Like Tracy said, just do the tip part. It is very painful for them if you go back to far and hit the vein. On Bella's black nails, I can see where to stop because you can see a difference in the coloring..Is Leila's like that?! I do both my girls with cat clas trimmers because they are smaller and it works really well:)

Good luck!

·
Banned
6,940 Posts
(also, when clipping, Cherper, do just the tiniest bit at a time...you'll be able to tell when it becomes uncomfortable for her...since you just got her, the breeder should have clipped her nails before you brought her home and I'm guessing she's OK for now...?)

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
I was thinking that...but then, I'm scared I'm going to nick their little paws. Do you do it yourself or do you have help?
I can do it myself but if you are just starting out, have someone hold them securely and then hold the paw and touch it to the nail. Go to the next, etc. You want it to be a positive experience, so just go slow until they get used to it. :)

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
My dogs totally freak with the grinder. No matter how long I tried to get them used to it, they wanted no part of it. So I went back to the clipper. The only one I do not do is Bandit's, her's are black and she's 17 and not the easiest dog to work around. So I take her in. Speaking of which, she is due to go in right now. Being that your dog is so young, you should have no problem getting her used to it.

·
Registered
3,356 Posts
Good suggestions, we use human clippers or the dog clipper type.
We even do the cat every week and he lays on his back while we do it, we started when he was 6 weeks old :)

·
Registered
7,637 Posts
Let her sniff the clippers first.. don't just go in there.. her nails at that age will be v v v v thin too..

With bathing her dont be suprised if she freaks out.. she is new to your home still and bath time is hell for the first couple of times.. she will try to escape so hold onto her tight theyre small quick and slippery

1 - 12 of 12 Posts