Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When is it ok to give a puppy their first bath ever. My mom has been telling me that I can't bathe them until they are 3 months. They will be 4 weeks on the 27th. TIA.

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
I don't know when you are allowed to bathe them, but I gave Chloe a bath not long after we brought her home at 9.5 weeks because she got something on her. She did fine with it. So, I think 3 months isn't necessary.

·
Registered
6,172 Posts
If you watch the Animal Pllanet, on the Humane Society one, they bathe puppies that get into something. Today some puppies got into a drainage ditch and were filthy with mud. They bathed them right away. So if it is something nasty, yes bathe them, but make sure that the puppy is dried completely. Sue

·
Registered
786 Posts
Ote had a bath when we brought her home at 7 weeks, but with Dawn dish soap which was vet suggested due to her having a horrible case of fleas thanks to her "birth" owners.

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
I would say anywhere between 6 to 9 weeks, unless they are filthy or have a lot of fleas. Dawn is really good for that. Aly, we had that problem with Cricket. She had them so bad she didn't have hair on her head, and she is 5 yrs.

·
Registered
3,403 Posts
I know that Rico was bathed and had his nails trimmed before he was collected at the breeder's--that was 8 weeks. then after he was here I bathed him when ever he needed it. I just keep it quick...wet down scrub up and rinse. Towel dry in a warm room and keep warm until dry..
I wouldn't have a puppy soaking in a bath or anything though

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Thanks ladies. I wasn't planning on a long soak or anything. I planned on doing pretty much the same as I do with the older ones which is a quick in and out and snuggling until they are dry. We will be baking my little sisters birthday day cake so I might wait for that since it always warms the house up more than normal.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts