Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I gave my little chi his first bath the other day and the poor thing cried through the whole thing! Any tips to make it easier on both of us?

·
Registered
936 Posts
I remember somebody on here figured out that turning off the water helped calm her chi. This is assuming you have the water running. Before giving Seiah his first bath, I had him in the bathroom with me when I was taking a shower. I was hoping that he would see there was nothing wrong, and he doesnt mind his showers now, but he isn't excited about it. But that's all I know...hope that helps a little.

·
Registered
15,323 Posts
Yeah I think turning the water off might help. The noise really bothers them. It still bothers my boys and they are over 1 1/2 already. :wink: My boys also love to watch my daughter taking a bath, so I invite them in there so they can see how much fun she has.

·
Registered
5,807 Posts
Kari said:
My boys also love to watch my daughter taking a bath, so I invite them in there so they can see how much fun she has.
Look how pervy that sounds if someone didn't know your "boys" were chi's. :D

I know I posted one day about how much better bath time was for Lily without the water running. I used to use the kitchen sink sprayer to rinse her and once I stopped doing that, she started enjoying baths. I have the double sinks and I fill one to use as rinsing water into the other one. I also put an old dish towel in the bottom of the sink so it's not slippery.

Baths used to be such an ordeal and now we both enjoy it so much.

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
You could try smearing a bit of peanut butter along the edge or side of the sink you are bathing your Chi in and then give them their bath while they are distracted with licking up the peanut butter. :)

·
Registered
8,578 Posts
mine love the sink sprayer :D it's like a massage for them ....they get really calm of it .

they also like to go in bath with me :? once in a few months , i take the with me :lol:

kisses nat

·
Registered
40 Posts
when i first got beefy he was terrified of a bath too, but i tried letting him in the bathroom while i was in the shower/bath afew times, and at first he acted like he was scared to death that i was in there, but one day he decided he was comming in with me! now the only way for me to get him to take a bath without alot of hassle is to bring him in the shower with me. he sits in the back of the shower and watches me until its his turn.
with phoebe, she doesn't like a bath no matter what, but she's easiest to wash in the sink, without running water. i use a cup insead of the sprayer to rinse her off, and she insists on keeping her fron paws on the edge of the sink so she looks like she's ready to bolt on out at the first sign of trouble, lol, but she never does. one time i wasn't thinking right, and out of habit i pulled the stopper out while she was still in there, and the thought of the water going down the drain really seemed to upset her, so now i always take her out, dry her off and give her a treat, and then go back to let the water out.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Marcus comes in the shower with me. He used cry when I was in the shower so one day I opened the door and he climbed in.Now he loves it and I don't have to listen to him cry.

·
Registered
40 Posts
:lol: i'm glad to hear i'm not the only one who showers with their pup! my husband thinks i'm silly for doing it, but its sure better than having a smelly dog.

·
Registered
6,628 Posts
Lina doesn't mind running water at all. But, I used to bring her into the bathroom with me when she was tiny so that I could keep an eye on her and not leave her alone with the kids. Now, she jumps in by herself if no one is looking lol She looove bathtime. It might help to do it in the sink. When my son was a tiny baby, he was terrified of the tub, but he loved to have baths in the sink. It made it easier to do also. So, maybe give him a little bath in the sink?

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
Jazzy wasn't too thrilled about bath time at first either. She kept trying to climb out of the sink and tried to climb up my arms. lol After a couple of baths though, she did get used to it and now she doesn't seem to mind at all. In fact, she has jumped in the shower with me a few times. :lol: It's actually a very easy way to bathe your chi. I just sit down in the tub with her, lather her up, and then use the detachable shower nozzle to rinse her. When I finish, I dry her off, put her out of the tub and finish with my shower. One time she jumped back in with me - she was determined she was not getting out till mommy did. :lol:

I think he will get used to it after a few times. I found it helped if I talked to Jazzy in a low soothing tone the first few times. It seemed to calm her down somewhat.

·
Registered
663 Posts
Josie's first bath sounds exactly like yours. She cried through the whole thing and just kept jumping out of the sink. She's been completely cooperative through all the others. Baths aren't the most fun thing in the world to her, but she doesn't mind them. I also use the kitchen sink sprayer on her and that's helped out a ton. I leave the water running because, for some reason, she likes to nip at it when I put her in. :)

·
Registered
15,323 Posts
Rachael Polachek said:
Kari said:
My boys also love to watch my daughter taking a bath, so I invite them in there so they can see how much fun she has.
Look how pervy that sounds if someone didn't know your "boys" were chi's. :D
Rachael you are hilarious!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Yall thank you so much! All those tips, next time I give him a bath it should be alot easier!!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts