Chihuahua People Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Never given a puppy a bath before...so, how should I bathe Miya? What temp? I know not to get her ears wet, anything else I should know?

·
Registered
116 Posts
I know chis are at a higher degree than we are, so I just bathe mine in warm water. They are common for dry skin problems as well. Bathing them often could lead to skin issues. Once a week I will bathe mine with just conditioner and ever few weeks I will actually clean clean him.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Definitely don't bathe her too much as I am guilty of this with my own chi. A good moisturizing shampoo will help.

I rub the outside of my chi's ears with slightly soapy water and wipe it dry with a towel after. I also bathe mine in the sink :eek:! Safer to go with a slightly cooler temperature that you are comfortable with, something lukewarm.

Miya may squirm a bit if she's never taken a bath but try to be calming an firm at the same time.

·
Registered
3,356 Posts
Same concept as bathing a baby really.
Warm water that is comfortable to the inside of your wrist.
make sure you don't get soap in the little eyes or water in the ears.

I don't use dog shampoo too many junky chemicals SLS (Sodium Lauryl Sulfate) & SLES (Sodium Laureth Sulfate) etc perfumes, brightners it's all in there! (If I won't put that garbage on my kids sure won't on my dogs!) We just use a natural shampoo from the health food store if you have a Whole foods nearby you would find something suitable there as well. Just read your ingredients.

Anyhow that's about it! or how we do it :D
You will find that it's the commercial products that dry the dogs skin out and cause irritation.. if you bathed your dog weekly or such in water or with a detergent free soap you would find that they don't get any skin ailments.

·
Registered
580 Posts
I bought an all natural sulfate-free organic puppy shampoo, it's expensive ($15 dollars for shampoo and $15 dollars for conditioner) but when I look at the ingredients in the back I can actually pronounce all of the ingredients. I haven't used it yet, but will when I get my pup, but i did smell it so far and it smells heavenly like citrus lavender! Mmmm!

Gentle Puppy Shampoo + Puppy Conditioner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts