Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The Puppies are 4 weeks old now and are starting to walk around a bit. I put them in the pen with something accross the doorway so mom can get in and out but for now the puppies can't.
When should I start offereing them food and do I start with wet food? They are just starting to get their teeth in, so I know I have to wait until the teeth are in a bit more. They are starting to get their personalities, Bear is confident and explores everything, Teddy is more shy and cries when mom isn't with him. They are sooooo huge. I am hoping once they are weaned they may lose a bit because they are so fat, they can barely waddle.
Theadore

Bear

It's funny how the cold makes good friends out of two animals that usually ignore each other.

·
Registered
6,831 Posts
Aww very sweet pics! :)

·
Banned
6,940 Posts
Oh wow they have grown up fast!!!

Here's a great article on weaning: Puppy WEANING, How to wean puppies

You can start weaning them now, only soft foods (super soft kibble completely soaked and mushed up in water, chicken baby food (BE SURE IT HAS NO ONION!!), cottage cheese, etc. Your vet may have some other recommendations as well for foods to wean onto. You can also soften the kibble with a milk replacer at first.

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
they are gorgeous :), i am in love with Bear .
you can start weaning now , i have always started with water soaked puppy biscuits , mince and although i am not a fan of tin food i do use it during weaning as i have found some will not touch the biscuits .
i normally start weaning at 3 weeks for puppies and kittens that are hand raised and just a few days before 4weeks for ones that have come in with their mums :)

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thank you everyone, they are such sweet pups. I will start feeding them tomorrow.

they are gorgeous :), i am in love with Bear .
you can start weaning now , i have always started with water soaked puppy biscuits , mince and although i am not a fan of tin food i do use it during weaning as i have found some will not touch the biscuits .
i normally start weaning at 3 weeks for puppies and kittens that are hand raised and just a few days before 4weeks for ones that have come in with their mums :)
Um, I'm from the states, by biscuits, do you mean kibble? I now know mince means bits of meat, is it ground up? Sort of like baby food? They are just getting in their teeth.

·
Registered
7,637 Posts
Oh haha the White one looks like a little lab puppy they're huge

Yes start weaning now, makesure it's a good quality puppy food make it into a mush and put on a plate!! Start off once a day for a few days then increase. Mum will still top them up!!

When they start solids you need to give them a toilet area in their pen and start training as mum won't clean up after them (stools, urine etc) she should teach them to potty way from their bed!!

Give it a week and start introducing little toys etc and get noisy around te house!! If you have one who cries when mum is away I would take mum for a break after he's eaten you don't want him to en up withseparation anxiety t his new home (we all know these dogs are a pain in the bum!)

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
Thank you everyone, they are such sweet pups. I will start feeding them tomorrow.

Um, I'm from the states, by biscuits, do you mean kibble? I now know mince means bits of meat, is it ground up? Sort of like baby food? They are just getting in their teeth.
sorry , yep by biscuits i mean kibble :) and the mince is ground up meat

1 - 14 of 14 Posts