Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
510 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need help with Hershey in the smell department. When ever I give her a bath she gets stinky in about two days. My boyfriend can't stand the smell and I would to hate to bathe her to often. When I have she got itchey. So now I am trying to find a "Beauty Plan" that will make every one happy.

I have been brushing her once a week and she spends most of the day outside, with me and my son. Any suggestions would help. I usually don't mind it to much unless I have to carry her at the store. But then it is not that bad unless a week has passed.

With her submissive urinating, that gets messy also.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,796 Posts
I keep a carton of the "Baby wipes" around. They are wonderful for that in between bath. They have a nice clean smell too. I just get the ones at the "Dollar General Store" and they are great! :D
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
1,379 Posts
I need advice for this too. Lillie stinks so bad, and the smell refuses to come out. Her coat is so thick it takes ages to dampen it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,411 Posts
I also use baby wipes. Wal-mart also sells dog wipes, but baby wipes are so much cheaper and work just as well. I think the Wal-mart dog wipes are $6.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,578 Posts
mmm my babies never smell bad out of themselves ?? i wash them every 2-3 weeks

be sure it's not an infection from ears or skin or so........

kisses nat
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,415 Posts
I agree with Nat. I know of no reason why they should have such a bad odor if they are bathed regularly. Have you checked to try to determine where the odor comes from - like maybe the ears? Could it possibly have something to do with the food they are eating? I know some of the puppy foods have garlic in them.

I can understand why you might have an odor from the submissive urination, and the baby wipes would probably help in that instance. I mentioned in another thread about the Fresh 'n Clean shampoo and conditioner I use. It has a fresh, clean smell that normally lasts for several days. There are several good shampoos on the market that clean really well and leave a clean scent, but do not strip the natural oils. You might try one of those, along with the spray. I have seen the spray in the pet stores several times.

If you still have an odor problem, I would suggest having the vet check it out as I don't think this is normal for a chi.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
510 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It is definately not her ears. They don't have any odor. But the smell comes from her coat. She just started eating Royal Canine. But I think she has smelled like this for sometime.
I also found it hard to believe that she could get such a smell after just a few days. I gave her a wipie bath and sprayed her with a between bath spray. I did this this morning at around 9am not at 4:30pm she smells like coconut and calypso. Well see what tomorrow brings.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,716 Posts
does she roll int he grass or on the carpet? have you washed her bedding. i found out the hard way that if you wash a stinky chi and not their bedding they will just get stinky again lol.



too cherry chihuahua: if you take her to a groomer and ask them to hand strip her coat with a deshedder or you can deshed and thin the coat out yourself. i'd leave it to the pro's though since some of the tools that are used are sharp and you don't want to have an accident with one. plus you risk thinning the coat too much....

some of the tools i use at work (*sigh* i have the tedius taks of deshedding and hand stripping)

http://www.petedge.com/shopping/product/detailmain.jsp?itemID=157&itemType=PRODUCT&iMainCat=12&iSubCat=152&iSubSubCat=170&iProductID=157

http://www.petedge.com/shopping/product/detailmain.jsp?itemID=4256&itemType=PRODUCT&iMainCat=12&iSubCat=152&iSubSubCat=170&iProductID=4256
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
936 Posts
Seiah eats Royal Canin and he doesn't smell at all. I also thought the food was to blame for his bad breath but apparently Nate was right, his teeth were falling out and his mouth smelled horrible. But now it smells fine, but anyways back to the point I use this spray called Pro Pet Salon Freshening Sprays that smells really good. I only use it on him after a bath because the shampoo has no smell and I love the smell of the Crisp Apple one. But you could find it on petsmart website or in the actual store. Seiah skin is pretty sensitive and it hasn't irritated him at all.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,356 Posts
i really don't have that problem with chico, he gets a bath every 2-3 weeks. i do use dog wipes (which are just like baby wipes) and they make him smell really nice. i also use a "body spray" thats for dogs, its lavender and mint scented and it works really well.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,716 Posts
Chico's Mama said:
i really don't have that problem with chico, he gets a bath every 2-3 weeks. i do use dog wipes (which are just like baby wipes) and they make him smell really nice. i also use a "body spray" thats for dogs, its lavender and mint scented and it works really well.
oh man if you like the lavender mint you;'d love my fave at work it's honey lavender! smells divine!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,356 Posts
luv4mygirls said:
Chico's Mama said:
i really don't have that problem with chico, he gets a bath every 2-3 weeks. i do use dog wipes (which are just like baby wipes) and they make him smell really nice. i also use a "body spray" thats for dogs, its lavender and mint scented and it works really well.
oh man if you like the lavender mint you;'d love my fave at work it's honey lavender! smells divine!
What brand is it and where could i buy it? The kind I have now is called "Buddy Spray." The same company that makes chico's treats makes it...i also have lavender and mint scented shampoo and conditioner to go with it :)
 

·
Administrator
Joined
·
11,989 Posts
smell & bathing

I have a Yorkie and he has the same problem and the vet says he is perfectly healthy the problem is he gets sweaty from the long hair and this tends to give him oily skin and the oily skin makes his hair oily and that is what makes his smell. I just have to bathe him once a week with a shampoo that is not real harsh so not to give him dry skin and between bathing I usually use a puppy cologne or deoderant spray on him for a quick fix. :wave:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,716 Posts
Chico's Mama said:
luv4mygirls said:
Chico's Mama said:
i really don't have that problem with chico, he gets a bath every 2-3 weeks. i do use dog wipes (which are just like baby wipes) and they make him smell really nice. i also use a "body spray" thats for dogs, its lavender and mint scented and it works really well.
oh man if you like the lavender mint you;'d love my fave at work it's honey lavender! smells divine!
What brand is it and where could i buy it? The kind I have now is called "Buddy Spray." The same company that makes chico's treats makes it...i also have lavender and mint scented shampoo and conditioner to go with it :)

http://www.ez-groom.com/styling.htm

they also have one called pearl cologne and oh man it smells sooooo good! then there is one that is out of this world and i even spritzed myself with it one evening since i was meeting someone after worked lol and didn't want to smell like dog. and believe it or not my male friend was like damn girl you smell good. i am thinking of getting a bottle but it is real expensive, me and chiwi will ahve to share that one :lol: . i'll find the link for that one.
 
1 - 20 of 24 Posts
Top