Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I i was just wondering...how do you know when its safe to allow your pup to sleep in a normal bed at night? my pup sleeps in a cat carrier at night, as i know she wont toilet there. but how do i know when she will be ready to go through the night with out wanting to go to the toilet? by the way she is a week off 6 months old.

regards all

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
6 months should be old enough to hold it all night. Pepper starting holding it all night when he was 3 months old. I don't have a potty pad in hs pen anymore, each morning he is waiting to go outside with the other dogs.

·
Registered
483 Posts
hi is she house trained? if she is then you could try her but if she aint then you may want to wait till she is. th e1st night i left roxi out of the carrier she was crying to go back in lol.

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
Is she potty trained during the day? Does she potty outside or on a potty pad? Can you have her crate in your room? Would she sleep with you? I know, a lot of questions, but hard to give advice without knowing more. :)

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
I wouldn't let a 6 month old have the run of the house at night. You'll probably wake up to a couple of accidents and then it's even harder to train once they've learned to go on the carpet. (The smell draws them back, etc.) I'd confine her to a small space at first and see how she does and gradually increase her space.

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
I lock honey in her pen at night. with her bed water and a pee pad. She has never used the peepad. But I always make sure there is one for her just incase... Some times I have to go to the toilet in the middle of the night myself! I dont expect her to wait!

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hiya, thankyou all, she doesnt use pads, or paper, i just keep putting her outside every so often, i know when she needs the loo as she walks to the door and just looks at me, but if im not paying attention, she will then go on the floor, most of her accidents are my fault. she just never makes a noise when she wants to go so i have to second guess her all the time. She would probably sleep with me, but my partner wouldnt allow it, which i understand. so she sleeps out side my door. she goes to be for about 10.30, and i dont let her out till 8am, so she is good in that respect, she doesnt moan or whine. she just waits. would it be a good idea to put her box in the kitchen once she asleep, and then open the door of her box, so im not making a big deal of it? kegards all tammy xx

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
Is there a way to keep her in the kitchen? Put up a baby gate across the doorway? I think giving her the run of the house right off may be a bit too much freedom. You can try keeping her in the kitchen to see how she does since most kitchens have un carpeted floors so mishaps can be cleaned a bit easier. It may take a bit for her to get the idea of holding it till morning, so a few oops may happen at first. My dogs know the routine, so as soon as I let them out of my bedroom, they line up at the back door waiting for it to be opened. I never give my dogs the run of the house as the temptation to potty inappropriately is too much for some of them.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hiya, i can close the kitchen door, so thats not a problem, what makes a dog decide to wait till morning, thats what i cant get my head around. especially when if i dont watch her she goes on the floor any way. i dont mind her staying in her box, i just thought it would be nicer for her to have a bit more freedom, but at the same time she might not like being shut in the kitchen, because thats where i keep her when i have to go out with out her. its just one big dilema. but i spose the good thing is, i know she an hold it, and sometimes when she comes with me to places, she holds it in the day for about 4 hours. I will have to try it and il post how she got on. also im getting her speyed on the 11th nov, do you think it will be best to wait till after then, when shes fit and well again? cause i know il want her in the bedroom at night for that week anyway. regards all, tammy xx

·
Registered
105 Posts
Why not just leave her in the box at night after all shes only sleeping, she doesnt really need freedom.
My boy chichi is really good most nights but he sleeps with us so will hold it all night unless hes really desperate then he jump off the bed an go an find somewhere to pee.
I feel like im on guard all night as as soon as i feel him move im awake wondering if hes gonna jump off the bed to go for a pee.
I wished id used the crate for night times but im sure now he would kick up a fuss. If im honest i love having him in bed lol.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I would love her in bed with me, im sure she would love it to. she is happy to go in the box, when we are getting ready for bed, she will go upstairs and put herself to bed. I just feel like im cramping her up in a tiny space. In the morning, when i open the door, she takes for ever to come out. maybe shes got pins and needles. lol.

·
Registered
7,637 Posts
Why don't you get a bigger crate?? Both mine share a crate at night one is 4.5 months the other is nearly a year! Shedoesnt need to be uncrated I wouldn't uncrate mine daisy sleeps in my bed sometimes if lotus comes in I don't sleep coz I panic

Here's a pic of my girls crate

1 - 13 of 13 Posts