Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3,090 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So am getting about 20# of beef heart (yah that's gonna last FOREVER) from a friend of mine on Saturday, and I know I have heard that beef heart is rich so it should be taken slow? Can you feed meals of just beef heart eventually? Also getting 'real' turkey necks instead of just the pieces I got at the grocery store. I forgot about this 'bulk' meat supplier that my friend here uses locally, and I'm psyched they really have a lot of different things....only problem is you have to buy it in 40# increments....so Christy usually shares with me. I could use more but we don't have the large freezer yet (hubby is dragging butt/feet BIG time on that one.) so have to just get what I have room for at any given time.

·
Registered
923 Posts
We get a lot of CHEAP beef heart (organic $2,50 each) so obviously that's a big part of our diet.

We found that at first, they got the runs if we fed too often.. as their tolerence grew, we could feed it more often. That said, their poop is a darker, softer poo than "regular" raw poop because of the rich meat.. so it's not light coloured/particularly hard. It still turns white and poofs in 24hrs though. :)

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
Yeah, what Kelly said. :)

We do beef heart a couple times a week since it's such a great food. Can't really find better red meat than beef heart! Just go slow on it until they are used to it. Then you may be to eventually feed it as a meal. I usually give it with a chicken wing tip.

·
Registered
4,652 Posts
We never had a problem starting beef heart & we started by feeding 1 whole meal (that was when I was feeding once a day). But we fed it maybe once a week so not a LOT but they never did get diarrhea or soft stools from it.

You're scoring big lately with all these finds...lucky you!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts