Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Zippy had his first taste of beef kidney today. Unlike some other new foods that we have tried, he gobbled this one right up!

I found that kidney isn't the easiest thing to find, though. Unlike beef liver, which I can get in any local supermarket, I had to travel to a neighboring town's farmers market to get my hands on some. Even there, with quite a few different meat vendors on hand, only one stand carried any kidney. It was kind of creepy stuff too; not at all what I was expecting. I thought that it would be slimy like the liver but instead it was almost dry to the touch. Zippy seemed to like it though, so I'm glad that I kept on the search until I found some.

My question is : I know I should be giving about 5% liver and about 5% kidney. Does this have to be in the same meal though? For example, can I give a breakfast consisting of 10% liver one time and then another with about 10% kidney for dinner? Or should I be mixing both at each mealtime? Once again, thanks for any insights that you might be able to give.

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
You look at the diet as a whole. Kidney and liver make up 10% of the diet. The other 80% is meat and 10% is bone. So kidney and liver are a very small part of the over all diet. 10 cents on the dollar. This is balance over time. Since our dogs are so small, I like to do kidney and liver as a meal on the weekend. That way I remember it. I do about an ounce of liver and an ounce of kidney. That meets his requirement. I do a bony meal before and after since organs can sometimes call loose stools.

If you got a regular sized beef kidney, it will last you FOREVER. You just need to feed approximately an ice cubed size piece once a week for an average 5 pound dog.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts