Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been feeding the girls raw for about a month now, everything has been great. I've been giving them a half a scoop of ZP in the mornings and a chicken wing at night. My plan for now is to continue the ZP in the mornings because at least I know they're getting a variety, then to add in different meats at night. I like the wings because the ease (no cutting any meat / little to handle) and price.

Twice now I've thrown in a chunk of beef and both times Lily got very soft, mucousy stool in the morning. The beef was on sale, packaged as chunks to use in stew and it's been in the freezer. I set it out a few hours before feeding and gave it with a small wing tip.

Does this mean she'll have problems with beef? Even Olive's stool was rather big and smellier than normal. They do fine with bully sticks and beef tendon chews, so I've never noticed a beef problem.

I also have a frozen package of sliced pork meat I've been wanting to add, if that works out better, will they be alright not getting beef?

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
One loose stool doesn't concern me. If it was urgent diarrhea, that would be different. The beef is a new protein, Lily may need awhile to adjust to it. I'd keep her on beef and the chicken wing tip or maybe the center section of the wing plus the beef and see if it doesn't firm up. As long as it's not watery stool, a softer stool is really no big deal. We are so used to seeing consistent stools with dog food because the ingredients never vary. Feeding fresh foods may cause some loose stools occasionally. I don't worry over it at all.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the quick response.

The stool is actually not formed at all, it more of the constancy of pudding. She's gone at least 3 times this morning on her pad, all the same constancy...

As I was typing this she just went again and I took a pic... lol gross I know. So this would have been the 4th time shes done this this morning, she did this the last time she tried beef.

I know that just having meat and no bone can cause looser stool, but she had a small chunk of beef with a wing tip (small but had bone).

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
oh, that's pretty loose and mucousy. And 4 stools in a day would certainly concern me. In that case, I'd probably not want to do beef again. Since you are doing ZP half the time, they are getting great nutrition. The raw they are getting is just icing on the cake. There's no reason to keep feeding beef. Try something else. Pork or lamb. Feed just a bite with the familiar chicken. I would guess there's something with the beef that doesn't agree with her. There are several people here who raw feed that have touchy tummies with beef for some reason. Just go on to a different protein.

Also, double check on any new meats you try that they are NOT enhanced with a sodium solution. Sodium should be 100mg or less per 4 ounce serving. Anything higher than that means salt was injected into the meat. That can cause diarrhea, nausea, and itching. You definitely need to read labels as they like to sneak in sodium.

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
My Chloe can't tolerate beef, she either refuses to eat it or throws it up. She can do lamb, pork and kangaroo though so I would try a few different red meats (but give her a chance for her tummy to settle first) and see what she can handle. Don't worry too much, if she's on ZP she's getting good nutrition. Mine are on morning ZP and then a blend of raw chicken mince and kangaroo mince most nights, an egg one night a week and a bit of my salmon that I have once a week and they are thriving.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks both of you. I'll just not use beef and try other proteins. I know chicken works well for them at least, oh and zp

·
Registered
299 Posts
She may not be able to tolerate beef then. My girl Onyx can't tolerate beef and sometimes she gets poop like that after eating it. She usually does good on it though until I feed it to her 3-4 days in a row. Then one of her back paws turns bright red and she itches it ALL day. All is fine once I stop giving beef.

No biggy, beef isn't that special. Like others have said, she's getting what she needs from the ZP anyway. There's lots of other red meats that can replace beef too if you're trying to stick with red meats. So far, Onyx can handle goat, llama, venison, bison, pork, and lamb. Those are all of the red meats I've tried so far and she does fine with them. There's plenty of things that can replace beef :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts