Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
700 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HELLO everyone!
Been a while, hope everyone is well.
I need some potty training help- Chicco and Carrera after 2 yrs of struggles aren't getting it. Carrera got it, then Chicco came (2 yrs ago) and went through puppy potty training, never really getting it then he started marking and things got worse for both him and Carrera. Now its like our house is the potty, especially my carpet! :foxes15: They go to the bathroom outside, but then will come right back inside and go to the bathroom there too. I need a refresher on how to get a handle on this again. Considering just crating them at night (where most of the issues are), but would rather not because both me and my husband work days so they are already away then. Oh and by the way- Chicco was just fixed this summer. I just don't know what to do, help!

·
Registered
32 Posts
Oh I have no advice, sorry. But I just wanted to say I am in the same place I have new pups and they don't seam to get it like our 2 older ones did it can be very frustrating and stressful. we have gated ours in the kitchen only for now because the carpet can't take anymore but they are not alone we spend all day and night with them and they have a doggie door to use to go outside from the kitchen but 1 of them had an accident again tonight my spirits drop everytime the have an accident because if they go with out accidents for like 2 days I think they are getting it. Good luck and hang in there.

·
Registered
447 Posts
I'm sorry you are dealing with this. My dogs are completely piddle pad trained so I can't help much. I do know that my 2 get confused when there is carpeting and will definitely potty on any piece of carpeting. We have ceramic tile throughout (except bedrooms which I block off from them) so it's not a huge issue for me. I would suggest gating them in the kitchen or a bathroom to make you feel a little better instead of crating them day and night. I can understand why you wouldn't want to do that. I use an xpen at night and when I have to leave the house for my 2. I hope others here can help. Do you use piddle pads at all? Maybe they would use those indoors? Hoping that things get better soon!

·
Registered
6,764 Posts
Hey girl, been a long time. I'm on and off myself, lots going on. I would go back to the basics. If you feel bad crating, than I would get an X-pen with enough room for a potty pad and their beds and toys. Take them out first thing, of course, and after meals. Limit their water before bedtime. It seems harsh but you want to get this handled for your sake and theirs. I've been at step one with my rescues and no matter the age, if they aren't trained, I literally start like they are puppies. Never out of my sight, always contained. Pee pads and lots of trips outside and treats for doing well. These dogs can be re-trained at any age but it takes tough love and diligence. Good luck and I'm sure they can get it but you'll have to be tough on em. Hope all is well with you and the babies.

·
Registered
809 Posts
I would go back to puppyhood and crate them at night and when you can't actively watch them. They are only out when you can really keep an eye on them. Ideally you would have them tethered to you when they are out in the house so they can't sneak off and potty in the house. The better they get the more freedom they earn. I would wait til you have a week of no pottying before any new freedoms are given. People tend to trust too much too early. If they have one day of no accidents they think it is okay to give the dog free run of the house and then are confused when accidents happen. Potty training takes time. Don't trust too much too soon.

I know you feel bad crating at night and during the day but if they get good exercise and together time when you are home I wouldn't worry. My chihuahua is crated during the day when I'm at school/work and again at night. Her crate is small, big enough for her to stand up, turn around and stretch out but that's it. No potty pads or anything here. Plus keep in mind that the crating isn't forever, just until the training is done. It's better to crate for a few months and get it done than be constantly dealing with an unhousetrained dog ruining the carpets and floors in my opinion.

·
Registered
3,403 Posts
I would reward the good behavior, and wow..those carpets are really tricky. Use enzyme cleaner to clean up after them.

Good to see you back...pictures ??

1 - 6 of 6 Posts