Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

Well it all started new years eve just turned 11 oclock and bella lay on me sort of choking, coughing, gasping, weezing and honking i immedietly called a local vet who we arnt actually registered with. Luckily he took bella in and checked her over. He treated bella with 2 injections her said it was an upper respiratory infection. bella was still eating playing etc fine. This seemed 2 clear it up. Then 2day she started again...the symptoms semt the same and he just gave another dose and tablets for a week. again bella seems well and happy. how can you tell if this is just REVERSE SNEEZING?? i read the article and my partner thinks its probably that. Also the coughing/sneezing tends 2 happen when bella has been at her grandmas ( my mums) playing...my mum has carpet and we have laminated flooring...could it be the wooly carpet?? I just dont want 2 be treating her if its not needed. :confused:

·
Registered
734 Posts
allergies

your chi could be having a reaction to your mums carpet ! Carpets tend to be bad for some people and i would stear clear of taking her over to mums as much as u want , it would be better for her , if that is what is causing it !
PS do some research about it !

·
Registered
5,493 Posts
It probably is reverse sneezing since it's common in chis. How long do these episodes last? All 4 of my babies do it but different things set each of them off. Tyson-excitement, Chloe-food/drink, Leila-drinking, and Jack well he does it for no obvious reason and his lasts the longest for up to probably 60 seconds. If none of the treatments are working I would think it wouldn't be what they suspect. Have they talked about collapsing trachea? I hope it's nothing serious.

·
Registered
3,249 Posts
it does sound like reverse sneezing, upon next episode put your fingers over her nostrils and rub her throat gently, if you can get her to calm down and breath through the mouth it should help if not completly stop the episode.

id also keep her away from the carpeting for a while, lots of chis are allergic to wool, but it could also be brought on by dust caught deep in the pile that most vacumes dont get out properly

·
Registered
3,154 Posts
I agree, I'd say it is reverse sneezing, especially since she's fine, and then she suddenly has an episode that eventually stops. If she had an infection she'd be coughing all the time. Yoshi gets those reeeaaally badly sometimes, she won't be able to stop and her whole body starts getting into it. It's really scary if you don't know what it is. But like foxy said, just cover her nose so she'll breathe through her mouth, and it should stop. It's very common in chis.

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
I hope Bella feels all better soon & its just the carpet that's affecting her.

I never knew the thing about covering their noses! Stewie does it occassionally & I'll usually try to rub his throat & he'll usually stop. But I'll have to try the nose thing. If its just an occasional thing (like Stewie mainly does it when he gets excited or sometimes when we're outside) is it probably just reverse sneezing vs. collapsing trachea? I swear, I'm so paranoid sometimes! ;)

·
Registered
803 Posts
yes i think its reverse sneezing, wen mylo did it the first time i thought oh god wats going on i wasnt sure if he was tryin to b sick or wat i was really worried, until i asked on here and you all helped and sent me a link to sum great info. Mylo hardly ever does it but wen he does i just smooth his throat and it stops, its only ever like 15secs, but it isnt nice to see your chi doing it

·
Registered
249 Posts
We had a shag carpet when we got Chica & she did the reverse sneezing. We eventually got rid of it due to the early housetraining mishaps & she no longer does it.

·
Registered
877 Posts
I think it's reverse sneezing too. It happens to jinxy sometimes. The first time it happent I was also worried and took her to the vets. He told me it was nothing to worry about. I know it happens when she's excited. Just like Katie said about Tyson.

·
Registered
3,249 Posts
the point you shoudl start worrying is if she does it when asleep! if she suddenly starts reverse sneezing when in a deep sleep theres usually treachea issues going on, but excited, just drank, or sometimes randomy during the day, dust, pollen, all tend to be triggers and nothing to worry about! :)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts