Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello, new to the forum, I was trolling around the internet looking for a good place to get some resources on chihuahua training and facts. I have a male chihuahua I got from the animal shelter 2 years ago, when we got him he had just turned a year old and had zero training. We slacked very hard with his training and understandably hes a very bouncy and distracted little guy. He's got intense aggression towards other dogs and he will pee on everything if he's in a new environment, (petco, a strangers home ect) he's very alpha male. We've tried training him but he's extremely hyper and it seems difficult for him to understand basic instructions or even calm down long enough to follow basic commands, he's food oriented but gets so excited seeing the treat he spazzes out and doesn't listen. Like most chis he's EXTREMELY stubborn and very very very whiny, and he doesn't listen when you tell him to stop begging or stay out of a certain area, but I wouldn't trade him for the world, he's my baby. I want to start cracking down on some obedience training to make things less stressful for me, for him and to help me trust him better, I can't take him out in public due to the marking situation and his dog aggression and I don't trust him enough to mind me when we are out in the yard. Anyone out there with some tips on training chihuahuas?

·
Premium Member
15 Posts
This sounds an awful lot like my little guy and doesn't give me much hope lol. I have another post about his not having to be able to be neutered yet due to a medical difficulty and the vet now not being able to perform surgeries because of the virus. He's a year old and exhibits very much the same frustrating behavior; I was afraid it's too late now once he's neutered because of the behavior he's learned.

I know Petco has training classes there and Petsmart also offers even personalized training. Some can get to be pricey but I'm willing to do it if it will undo that behavior that's been learned. I really wanted to thank you for your post as it's helped me as well. Once everything is a little more settled and safe, I would look into these stores for training, if you can. I think I'm going to be doing the very same :).

1 - 3 of 3 Posts