Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I hope you all don't mind me asking this here, but it is slightly chi related.

My daughter has a 6.1lb Pomeranian that has just gone into heat. My daughter has never dealt with something like this and is very worried about neighborhood males getting to her. Her next door neighbor breeds JRTs and he lets them run around the neighborhood all of the time.

Because of this I have offered to take her dog, also named Coco, in until she is through this heat cycle, after which I plan to pay to have her spayed, if she doesn't. My question is do I have to worry about behavioral changes in my 3 dogs? Kina and Coco are both spayed and Cabo is neutered.

Granted, I only live a block away from her, but I also never let any of my dogs go out unless fully supervised, on a leash, by me or my husband. My daughter, and her now EX, were both accustomed to just putting Coco out on a leash for a half an hour without watching her. I also figure, if need be, I will train her to use pads as well.

My biggest worry is fights breaking out or excessive dominance behaviors. Coco, the pom, is very submissive but my Coco, chi, took over the dominant role from Kina, which is funny to see (A 3lb chi dominating a 25 lb pom/eski mix) Cabo is also very submissive but I worry about if he'll start marking. I had him neutered at a young age just to avoid that behavior.

Anyways, I've been long-winded enough. Any information you could give me would be greatly appreciated!

·
Administrator
11,989 Posts
I would think if your guys are spayed and neutered then it shouldnt affect anything in that aspect but I am not sure how it would confuse pack order in your home? I know people dog sit all the time and it seems that they dont have issues with that? I hope someone else can answer your question better :)

·
Registered
477 Posts
Neutered males still recognize a female in heat and I would keep them separated carefully to avoid fights. Would be good if you could keep the little female in a separate part of the house and not let them get together at all. Getting the female spayed is an excellent idea.

Jeanette

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
Pedro is neutered, and when Gracie went through her first heat, he didn't react in any way. He was neutered at age 3, so I'm not sure if this makes a difference or not.

Gracie, on the other hand, was very sexually aggressive and moody towards him. He tolerated it, and it only lasted for a couple of weeks of her cycle, but I'm really surprised he didn't snap.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks everyone! So far my daughter is doing pretty good dealing with all of it. She doesn't let Coco go out without her being there and I have had a nice little talk with the neighbor about his dogs running free and a gentle reminder of the leash law our town has. If he's going to keep intact JRTs to breed he needs to learn to keep them confined to his own property. I don't really care to find out what a pom/JRT mix would look like.

I've already contacted the vet as well and all I have to do is call when she is through with her cycle and they'll fit her right in 2 weeks later.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts