Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,576 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, it's official. My girls are all grown up. Bella turned a year old in September and Libby just turned a year old last week.

Bella weighed in at 2 lbs when I last took her to the vet. She is definitely my "heart" dog. Sweet as pie and a cuddler.

Libby is a little pistol and often makes me angry..Haha. I think she may be bipolar? She is so sweet one second and then goes nuts!

Here is a video of them I took a few days ago. Do you think Libby's coat will change much more?

·
Registered
6,831 Posts
Aww it's so nice seeing your little ones again! Libby has really grown into a gorgeous girl, her coat is so lovely! I love her coloring. And Bella is as sweet and precious as ever, she was always one of my favorites on here, I just love her. Thanks for sharing the video. :)

Do you think Libby's coat will change much more?
I think it will likely fill out even more, yes. :)

·
Banned
6,940 Posts
Awww they are so cute! Omg I didn't realize that Bella is only 2 lbs. Libby's coat will probably continue to get thicker and longer until she is 3, and it will be better after she is spayed because she won't blow it after her seasons :)

·
Registered
1,576 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Aww it's so nice seeing your little ones again! Libby has really grown into a gorgeous girl, her coat is so lovely! I love her coloring. And Bella is as sweet and precious as ever, she was always one of my favorites on here, I just love her. Thanks for sharing the video. :)

I think it will likely fill out even more, yes. :)
Thanks:) Libby has grown into a pretty little girl..if only she was a little less crazy! Haha..and Bella is just Bella. I know it has been a while since I've been on here! I've had a crazy life these past several months!! Haha

Awww they are so cute! Omg I didn't realize that Bella is only 2 lbs. Libby's coat will probably continue to get thicker and longer until she is 3, and it will be better after she is spayed because she won't blow it after her seasons :)
I thought Bella weighed more..I usually weigh them with my scale where I stand on it, get my weight, then stand on it with them and subtract the two weights, but it most not be very accurate. When I have done it, I've always gotten Bella as 2.5 and Libby as 4, but when I went to the vet, they were each a half pound lighter. I am trying to get Bella to gain a little bit of weight because she is a tad skinny. She is a finnicky eater. Libby gets spayed in a couple weeks..I am super nervous, but it needs to happen. Do you think I should get Bella done also?

·
Registered
3,960 Posts
Such beautiful little girls.. So glad to see new pics of them!

·
Registered
1,576 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Such beautiful little girls.. So glad to see new pics of them!
thanks:) it is sad to see them already a year old! feels like i just picked them up and they were puppies! haha..hope everything has been great with you!!

omg your dogs are beautiful! that is my favorite coloring for chihuahuas :)
thank you! i love the chocolates! before i got libby, i actually had a little blue girl picked out, but she didn't make it. i either wanted a blue or chocolate. both seem hard to find in my area!!!

·
Registered
3,403 Posts
they are still very adorable both of them. It is nice that they have such strong persoanlities....

If it were up to me, I'd have Bella spayed only to protect her from pyrometria (sp ??) and males dog who may go after her if she is in season....I have heasrd that 2 pounds is a safe enough size for the procedure, someone here had a 'laser spay" done andit invovled less cutting and recovery. Maybe that is an option.

they look wonderful and happy in any case...good to see this post

·
Registered
1,576 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
they are still very adorable both of them. It is nice that they have such strong persoanlities....

If it were up to me, I'd have Bella spayed only to protect her from pyrometria (sp ??) and males dog who may go after her if she is in season....I have heasrd that 2 pounds is a safe enough size for the procedure, someone here had a 'laser spay" done andit invovled less cutting and recovery. Maybe that is an option.

they look wonderful and happy in any case...good to see this post
Thank you! I am really considering getting Bella done as well. I actually got a voucher from my local humane society and am getting it done for only $45 at a local vet. I am going to talk to the vet about Bella and see what he/she says. :)

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
Amber, just saw this post! So happy to see you back! Your girls have grown up beautifully. I loved the video. So sweet!

I'd just get your vets opinion on the spaying of little Bella. If he's comfortable doing it, then it's best for her. Our vet spays tiny animals like rats and guinea pigs on a regular basis and they are wayyyyyyyyyy smaller than 2 pounds, so it just depends on the vet and his expertise.

·
Registered
2,115 Posts
Oh Belle Luna, Quigley is so happy to get news of his one true love. He has missed her so!!! They are beautiful Thank you so much for sharing.

Just a thought...My vet refused to even consider putting Quigley under because of his size. He is 2.5 lbs still. It's my understanding chihuahua's metabolize the drugs they use to put them under so fast it's hard to keep them out. My vet referred me to UGA (if ya'll remember) for his surgeries. They were more confident but still really cautious. Just be sure who-ever does the procedure is experienced with the tiny ones.

So glad to see you post. We miss you!!!

·
Registered
1,576 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Amber, just saw this post! So happy to see you back! Your girls have grown up beautifully. I loved the video. So sweet!

I'd just get your vets opinion on the spaying of little Bella. If he's comfortable doing it, then it's best for her. Our vet spays tiny animals like rats and guinea pigs on a regular basis and they are wayyyyyyyyyy smaller than 2 pounds, so it just depends on the vet and his expertise.
Thanks! Missed you all! I am going to ask him, although I am very wary of doing it:( She is just so fragile compared to Libby..makes me scared! Libby is a tank, so I am not concerned as much about her having the procedure done. Question, perhaps you know why Bella is BALD on her head by her ears! Hahaha..It's a mystery to me! Could it be because her grandma is a blue and I have heard that color can be prone to hairloss? Haha.

Hope all is well with you and Brody:)
Oh Belle Luna, Quigley is so happy to get news of his one true love. He has missed her so!!! They are beautiful Thank you so much for sharing.

Just a thought...My vet refused to even consider putting Quigley under because of his size. He is 2.5 lbs still. It's my understanding chihuahua's metabolize the drugs they use to put them under so fast it's hard to keep them out. My vet referred me to UGA (if ya'll remember) for his surgeries. They were more confident but still really cautious. Just be sure who-ever does the procedure is experienced with the tiny ones.

So glad to see you post. We miss you!!!
QUIGLEY! MY LOVE! Bella is happy to see you as well:) It's been a LOOOOONG time! I almost think I would rather just not have it done to be safe. I would be a devastated wreck if something happened to her:( I hope Quigley is doing well with his handsome little self:)

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
I know many people with the super tinies don't spay them. (T comes to mind.) It is a personal choice and should be made in conjunction with your vet. Just be aware of pyometra and the signs and symptoms.

As for the hair loss on Bella - yes, it could be because of the blue gene, but it most likely is just simple alopecia which is the pattern baldness you see on the head in front of the ears, the neck, and the chest and the groin. Brody has it too as do a LOT of chi's here. Some people are finding good results from supplements. Zoeysmom (Heather) had some good success with Zoey's alopecia by using the prescription strength product Missing Link. I know some people here have bought it and are trying it out so stay tuned! :)

·
Registered
1,576 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I know many people with the super tinies don't spay them. (T comes to mind.) It is a personal choice and should be made in conjunction with your vet. Just be aware of pyometra and the signs and symptoms.

As for the hair loss on Bella - yes, it could be because of the blue gene, but it most likely is just simple alopecia which is the pattern baldness you see on the head in front of the ears, the neck, and the chest and the groin. Brody has it too as do a LOT of chi's here. Some people are finding good results from supplements. Zoeysmom (Heather) had some good success with Zoey's alopecia by using the prescription strength product Missing Link. I know some people here have bought it and are trying it out so stay tuned! :)
What is Pyometra and the signs of it? I have heard the name before, but I can't say I know what it is. My friend is going to school to be a vet and has mentioned it.

Haha, her little bald spots drive me MAD! My vet said it could be an allergy to chicken, so I switched to a food without chicken with no results:( Haha..I'll have to look into that supplement. Thanks!

they are so cute!!....I'm in love with Little Libby!!...:)..
Thank you! You can borrow her occasionally if you want too;) Drives me bonkers sometimes!

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
Amanda just had a scare with pyometra, her thread is here ....

http://www.chihuahua-people.com/chi-chat/58997-pyometra.html

Basically it is an infection of the uterus. Every 6 months an intact bitch goes into season and during that time her uterus prepares to carry puppies. If she isn't bred, she may go through a pseudo-pregnancy or a false pregnancy. This condition can last anywhere from a few weeks to a month or so and she will gain weight, her nipples enlarge and her body thinks it is pregnant. She may even start lactating and produce milk. Lots of emotional changes will occur during this time and it's very stressful and hard on her. Many will adopt a stuffed animal and carry it around as if it's a puppy.

Other than the emotionally hard part of she thinking she is pregnant, there are uterine changes that predispose her to the deadly infection, pyometra. Her uterus can fill with pus and if not spayed, she could die.

There are two kinds of pyo.... open and closed. An open pyo will drain from the vagina, usually a foul smelling discharge which can tip the owner off to the problem, which is an emergency. A closed pyo is much more dangerous as the dogs symptoms may be very vague.... lethargy, not wanting to eat, a low grade fever, maybe some abdominal distention. If not caught and treated - it can be fatal.

Here's a couple links on pyometra. Anyone with an intact bitch needs to read up and know the danger signs of this condition.

Pyometra - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

ACVS - Pyometra in Dogs & Cats

·
Banned
6,940 Posts
I think she can be safely spayed, and I think it is absolutely the best thing for her :) I would suggest you find a vet that ONLY will use reversible gas anesthesia for her, though, as that is much, much safer. They are out for only a total of 10-15 minutes with this method and are wide awake 5 minutes afterward. It's sooo much easier on them and way safer.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts