Chihuahua People Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
And I just started tearing up when the vet's office said she has to stay over night. I will be so upset without her. Is this normal procedure?

Also, will there be a lot of care involved after she comes home?

I have also hear of potential changes in personality that can happen after a dog is fixed. Is there any truth to this?

This is my first pet and I am a nervous wreck, if you can't tell. Thanks in advance for any help.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Anytime an animal is spayed, an overnite stay is quite routine with most vets. It IS a very nerve-wracking time- any time a critter goes under anesthesia and surgery, there are risks and there are horror stories. But by far, most spays proceed with a normal recuperation time and your critter and you will be the happier for it. I know I will be nervous when Reba is old enough to spay- she is soooo tiny. And I have had several cats and dogs spayed during my lifetime- I know I will be nervous, too. Hang in there and I will be tuning in to see how she does. How big is she?

·
Registered
4,920 Posts
I'm sure she will be fine but I know that doesn't make you feel any better. I have a male so I'm not sure about recoup time after spaying Good Luck Little Girl :wave:

·
Registered
4,825 Posts
The vet can do a blood test to make sure there won't be any reaction to the anesthesia. It's an optional test, around here anyway, but I would recommend having it done, for your own peace of mind. They usually do it just before the operation.

She probably won't be as energetic for a few days afterwards, but she'll improve a little each day and be back to normal before you know it. Don't let her do any jumping for a few days.
The first meal, when she gets home, should not be a whole lot because the anesthesia can make their tummys upset.
Not a lot of extra care, she'll probably sleep more than normal until all the anesthesia is out of her system, and it's always a shock to the system to have any operation done. Just keep an eye on her and don't let her lick or chew on the stiches.

As far as personality change, I didn't see any with either of my girls. They are still the same little angels they were before.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you so much for all the information and comfort.
I rescheduled for Friday because of the weather yesterday morning. Just prolonging the inevitable.

The anesthesia test is a good idea, I will inquire about it.

·
Registered
6,015 Posts
My little Bella was just fine after her spaying.....a bit tired but otherwise ok. I am a nurse so my vet let her come home the same day, I just keep her very quiet and spent most of the time holding her LOL I think the whole situation was harder on me then her ! I will keep your Bella in my thoughts on friday.

·
Registered
7,716 Posts
spaying is very routine. but as with all surgeries problems can arise. we recommend a prescreening blood test to make sure the dog is perfectly healthy before we put them under. after, just make sure she doesn't jump around, keep her comfortable and make sure she doesn't lick her sutures. an e-collar will help for the times you can't monitor her every move. recovery doesn't take too long, before you know it she will be her lively self again. there might be some vomitting the first day or so. it's normal, however profuse vomitting isn't good, she may dehydrate and that is when you want to call the vet. as far as behavior changes, it happens in some dogs. we can't really say why or what makes it happen but the younger and sooner you have it done the less likely it is to happen.

you gals think you all were worried. i took the day off of work just so i can go into work and sit in the surgery room and watch! i'm not a surgery vet tech so i wouldn't have been in the room if i was working. i had the dr explain every single thing to me! he was very patient with me, and i still have my job so i wasn't too much of a pain lol!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts