Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bella has been putting one ear up and the other down for a couple days.She normally has full ears to the sky at all times.So I was thinking maybe She is teething because She acts like Her normal self playing, running around, eating and poop is normal.I looked at Her ears and no redness or anything ! So Today both ears are down and She is acting normal except laying around more and She is begging Me to go to bed,She normally does this only at night time.Her nose is cold and wet. She is eating really well and playing with Her sisters? Should I be worried ? oh ,Playing and then laying around. Bella is She is 16 weeks old now. She has a appointment with the vet on the
23 :confused:

·
Registered
164 Posts
A good thing to do is maybe to check and see if she has a fever...haha, which means getting a thermometor and some lube and doing it the ol' fashioned way, if you know what I mean ;-) If no fever, appetite good, no signs of fleas or worms, and her ears don't look dirty or inflamed, then it certainly could be her teeth bothering her!

It is very typical for chihuahuas ears to go back in forth with being erect or floppy when they are going through the teething stages. Of course if you are ever concerned in any serious way you should definitely see your vet.

A normal dog temp, btw, will probably be around 101-102. :)

·
Registered
323 Posts
I would think she would be ok. Some of the chihuahua have cold wet noses mine do. They are just fine. How old is your little Bella? If teething her ears will go down and up for a few days to weeks. SOme time they can get little colds like us and need to rest more. I think as long as she is eatting and pottying and no runny poop she will be ok. But i would take her temp..the normal for the dogs are about 100 to 102 anything higher take her in. you can also give them baby ty for fever or pain...hope this can help good luck

·
Premium Member
16,071 Posts
Just from reading her symptoms, I would say it is just normal teething. If she is playing, not lethargic, no temp (normal dog temp is 100-102.5), no runny stools, pink and wet gums (they shouldn't be sticky), eating normally, & no signs of pain, then I would say she is fine. Maybe she is just having an off day. But if she shows any signs of illness, or something out of the ordinary for her, I'd take her to see a Vet. Try giving her a pea sized dab of honey and see if that pepps her up. :) Let us know how things are going.

Edited to change normal dog temp. I don't know why I typed 105! :lol:

·
Registered
3,090 Posts
It sounds like normal teething, sometimes they aren't as active, can have a fever and in dogs who normally have 'erect' ears, the tend to flop when they are teething as the body needs all the calcium it can get for the teeth. Zoey's ears flop even now when she doesn't feel good, but the majority of the time they are erect.

·
Premium Member
16,071 Posts
Just wanted to add, please don't give her baby Tylenol. You can use baby aspirin, but I wouldn't without your Vets knowledge and consent.

·
Premium Member
16,071 Posts
Always, always, consult your Vet before giving over the counter meds. The only time I would give OTC meds without Vet consult would be Benedryl for an allergic reaction.

(Copy and pasted info.)
Dog Pain Medication:

Aspirin (coated and/or buffered) – 5mg per pound orally every 12 hours. Works out to 1 adult tablet/60lbs with food,2-3 times/day. If it isn't helping, see your veterinarian. Most pet stores sell aspirin made for dogs.

Side Effects: Possible side effects include vomiting and diarrhea. If you see either side effect do not use and call your veterinarian.

Precautions: Do not use if your dog is allergic to aspirin or other NSAIDs. If symptoms last more than 3 days, stop use and call your veterinarian.

Acetaminophen (Tylenol) and Ibuprofen (Advil, Motrin) – NEVER give your dog Tylenol/acetaminophen since it is toxic to the liver.

Ibuprofen (Nuprin, Motrin, Advil): Ibuprofen is very toxic and fatal to dogs at low doses such as 1 human tablet. Only aspirin is safe for dogs, and buffered aspirin or ascriptin is preferred to minimize stomach upset. Ibuprofen and acetaminophen when prescribed under the direction of a veterinarian for dogs is in minuscule dosages (Acetaminophen at 15 mg/kg and Ibuprofen at 10 mg/kg to avoid liver and kidney damage. For more information follow this think to a study on dogs and ibuprofen.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Always, always, consult your Vet before giving over the counter meds. The only time I would give OTC meds without Vet consult would be Benedryl for an allergic reaction.

(Copy and pasted info.)
Dog Pain Medication:

Aspirin (coated and/or buffered) – 5mg per pound orally every 12 hours. Works out to 1 adult tablet/60lbs with food,2-3 times/day. If it isn't helping, see your veterinarian. Most pet stores sell aspirin made for dogs.

Side Effects: Possible side effects include vomiting and diarrhea. If you see either side effect do not use and call your veterinarian.

Precautions: Do not use if your dog is allergic to aspirin or other NSAIDs. If symptoms last more than 3 days, stop use and call your veterinarian.

Acetaminophen (Tylenol) and Ibuprofen (Advil, Motrin) – NEVER give your dog Tylenol/acetaminophen since it is toxic to the liver.

Ibuprofen (Nuprin, Motrin, Advil): Ibuprofen is very toxic and fatal to dogs at low doses such as 1 human tablet. Only aspirin is safe for dogs, and buffered aspirin or ascriptin is preferred to minimize stomach upset. Ibuprofen and acetaminophen when prescribed under the direction of a veterinarian for dogs is in minuscule dosages (Acetaminophen at 15 mg/kg and Ibuprofen at 10 mg/kg to avoid liver and kidney damage. For more information follow this think to a study on dogs and ibuprofen.

All good info!
Thanks for posting this!

·
Registered
4,436 Posts
Dogs like people get tired to sometimes & just want to go to bed. As long as she's eating, resting well & wanting to play--she sounds like she's o.k. If she's teething, you could give her a cold carrot or something to help the teeth break the gums. 101 is normal temp. It may be slightly higher when you take them to the vet because they get excited.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Sorry ---- I had a bad bad Headache yesterday! Bella is doing better only one ear down now.She has a vet appointment tomorrow.So I will have Her check Her all out.I think it is Her teeth,I opened Her jaws and I can see one back there that is just starting to poke out. Poor Girl !

·
Premium Member
16,071 Posts
I so sorry wittle Bella. Feel better soon sweetie. :)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts