Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Banned
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
She has been in her crate all day except around 5, I sat with her on my lap and she loved it, but slept. Will drink water if I put my finger in the water and put it by her mouth. But she did eat a tiny bit of chicken and a tiny tiny piece of cheese. Lapped it up! I put her back in the crate. She's not pottied yet though. Of course no food or water since last night. Should I try to take her outside tonight to potty or just wait till morning? Thanks for advice.

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
Kizzie was the same way with water, didn't drink it unless it was on my finger. You don't want togive her too much water because she has a empty tummy right now she might be throwing up all up. So the finger licking will be good or just put tiny bit of water in her bowl.The vet told me not to feed Kizzie until 4 hours after being home and just a little bit because she might eat too much and get sick (If she's even interested in food) Kizzie ate two spoonful of food I handfed her and that was it. For potty (If it's not wet or raining) I would take her outside normally Unless she's pad trained, my girls go outside so I just took Kizzie out normally and she went. So hopefully your little girlie will do that too. You can try and take her out to see if she'll go she may not have too. But doesn't hurt to try. if it is wet outside just make sure she doesn't get in any water water (Puddles and such) Other wise she should be fine. It was snowy the night Kizzie came home so I had to take her in the garden to go potty because that was the place that wasn't very wet.

Good luck! Let me know how it goes!

·
Banned
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks

Dragonfly, I may be asking for more advice. It has been 5 yrs since I had Coco, my shihtzu spayed and I really cannot remember what all I did. I also have a 12 yr. pug and a 6 yr chi. They are like my children! Mine are all grown up and gone from home :( Hopefully, Bella will get a good nights sleep and be running around tomorrow!

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
That's definitely ok hon! Ask away, others here are great at helping too! It's all very fresh in my mind because my baby girl just had her spaying done on the 10th so I'm very refreshed! LOL I'm glad your doggies are like your babies, mine are too. They sure do mean a lot to us!

·
Registered
2,206 Posts
I wish they would have hydrated her before they released her to you. Often they won't want to drink, or just want to sleep instead because they're so groggy from the anesthesia, but there's always a concern of dehydration. If she's hardly drunk, it's understandable that she hasn't gone potty, but I'd be really trying to get her to drink enough that she has the urge to go so that her system is kept moving and kidneys are emptied.

Tango was very thoroughly hydrated before I picked him up, and had quite a bolus under his skin. He peed a LOT that first night. See if she might lick at an ice cube. Or do what Kerri suggested and have her lick water from your finger. It's good that she ate a little. Little and often is a very good idea right now, but I wouldn't advise giving her any more cheese. In her compromised state it could upset her tummy.

·
Registered
2,020 Posts
Mileys recovery was a little different because she had an emergency hernia repair at the same time, and it was about 6 months ago so I cant remember when we were able to feed her (Ill bet she ate though, Mileys not one to go off her food :)). Just wanted to chime in about the pottying, you do need to keep her quiet while she is healing, so if she likes to zoom around the yard and gets excited when she goes out take her on the leash. That way you can keep her calm while shes out pottying. I would definitely take her out pretty regularly, especially before bed, you dont want her having an accident in her crate and then sitting in a mess all night and possibly getting her incision wet in the process.
We had to keep Miley in her crate a LOT while she was healing b/c she is always bouncing around running, jumping and playing. She had to be in her crate most of the day, but we brought her out every few hours to stretch her legs and go outside to potty. If Bella just wants to hang out and cuddle with you though you should be able to keep her with you for a snuggle anytime youre able to just sit and relax with her. Ice cubes are a good idea to keep her hydrated if she likes ice.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts