Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
512 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
She is ADORABLE! A word of caution though, don't give her TOO many carrots as they have been linked to pancreatitis.
Thank You. Out of no disrespect, I am wondering where you read that carrots are linked to Pancreatitis. Everywhere I have read lead me to believe that as long as they are cut up(she eats baby carrots) that they are fine for her. I even read that in certain recipes carrots help reduce suffering in Pancreatitis. If you have that information I would like to read it. Again this is out of no disrespect for what you told me, I just want the true facts. Thanks!

·
Registered
2,115 Posts
Quigley eats carrots as well. His eyes light up when he sees me coming with one. He too has liver issues and is on low protein diet. I too would like to see the report.

·
Banned
6,940 Posts
Hey! Hehe no worries its always good to ask! It may not be the most trusted source as vets don't always know the most about nutrition, but two separate vets in separate offices cautioned me against too many carrot treats when they found out I fed raw to my dogs, because of pancreatitis. I just took it for what it was, which is unusual for me, and only give carrots every now and then. I will have to do some more research now to see what I can find!

·
Banned
6,940 Posts
I am reading online now and I too cannot find anything necessarily bad about carrots...how odd that both vets said that...? Either way, I will feel more comfortable giving them as treats now I think. . . but I wonder what those vets were thinking of, then?

·
Registered
2,115 Posts
I think that when you get baby carrots from the store they are moist in the package. If you reach into a 2 lb bag with your bare hands you can leave bacteria in the bag. The moisture in the bag coupled with added bacteria makes the enviroment ripe for bacterial issues. I think it's important to rinse the carrots before giving them out. I try not to reach into the bag with my bare hands. I pick the bag up and pour out the baby carrots. JMHO! When I get home from work I let Quigley out when we come in he runs as fast as he can straight to the fridge looking for his carrot treat. The dogs each get one and so do I. LOL. It's out daily routine.

·
Registered
4,436 Posts
I think that when you get baby carrots from the store they are moist in the package. If you reach into a 2 lb bag with your bare hands you can leave bacteria in the bag. The moisture in the bag coupled with added bacteria makes the enviroment ripe for bacterial issues. I think it's important to rinse the carrots before giving them out. I try not to reach into the bag with my bare hands. I pick the bag up and pour out the baby carrots. JMHO! When I get home from work I let Quigley out when we come in he runs as fast as he can straight to the fridge looking for his carrot treat. The dogs each get one and so do I. LOL. It's out daily routine.
This makes a lot of sense! About 1 1/2 ago, I gave Midgie a baby carrot (which she's always had carrots not & then). I had the carrots for a while & should have went with my instincts not to give it to her. She had a severe reaction, mouth bright red, trying to scratch her face off. Scare the **** out of me. I've given her baby carrots since then & everythings fine, but one thing I have changed is the way I handle them.
I take the baby carrots out of the pack and put them in a tupperware which is lined with a paper towel to absorb the moisture which grows bacteria. When I'm ready to use them, I take out what I need & I have a fruit and vegetable wash I spray them with:
1 Cup Water
1 Cup Distilled White Vinegar
1 Tablespoon Baking Soda
1/2 Lemon

Put in a spray bottle. Spray on Produce. Let sit for 5 minutes. Scrub & Rinse. This helps to get rid of any pesticides, bacteria or what ever.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts