Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know if there is such thing as "disposable" belly bands? TIA! :)

·
Banned
6,940 Posts
yes there are, not sure where you get them...

neutering by 6 months generally keeps them from being markers, though.

we use the washable ones with a sanitary pad inside of them. the belly band itself never actually gets wet and it keeps the urine off the dog's skin.

belly bands do not help potty train, they just help save furniture and stuff from dogs that like to MARK!

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have the washable ones and use sanitary pads with them... but Harley has been marking like crazy lately - and just started a few months ago. I rotate between three, but usually am washing at least one a day. He never did this for all six years I've had him.

I would LOVE to get him neutered but ever since Shiloh had horrible complications with her spay, I've been nervous and he's much smaller than her and seems so frail to me... I know neutering is a much simpler surgery... so that's one reassurance for me.

I've been trying to read up on old threads/internet articles if neutering at an older age helps, because if it significantly does then I'd get him neutered at the emergency vet's office - where there's 24 hr staff and they pretty much saved Shi's life. I'm on break from school, so I'd like to do it while I'm around the house. I just need to weigh everything out, our other dogs are all spayed.

·
Registered
477 Posts
My Bichon boy, Cosmo, wasn't neutered until he was a year old. He had learned to mark and I would have lost my sanity if not for belly bands. Cosmo came to live with me when he was a year old. He was neutered the day after he arrived at my house and the marking eventually got better. He wore belly bands for a couple of years. I confined him when I was gone and watched him when I was home. He hasn't worn belly bands for years now, but if I take him to someone's home, I put a belly band on him, just in case. I had five or six belly bands for him and I put half a sanitary napkin inside them. The belly band usually stayed dry, but would get wet sometimes. I still have all of them, neatly folded and put away, just in case!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts