Chihuahua People Forum banner

41 - 59 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
591 Posts
I've been meaning to get some Benadryl to keep in the cupboard for ages now, just in case of an emergency, and I've been looking online to check the ingredients against what this post advises:

make sure that you are using PLAIN diphenhydramine (generic benadryl) and not the combination formulas that have other ingredients.
But I am really struggling to find Benadryl with diphenhydramine. The standard Benadryl tablets I found online have Cetirizine hydrochloride plus a list of other ingredients. I'm in the UK so not sure if it's different over here?

When I looked on the Boots website and searched for diphenhydramine the only things that came up are sleeping tablets. I ideally wanted to get the liquid form but the ingredients are still different.

Can anyone advise on what to use in the UK & where to get it from? Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks

Lianne

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
Great info thank you! I always have children's benadryl in the house. Also I do believe the liquid works faster than the tablets

·
Registered
2 Posts
Bad allergies

Our little deer head chihuahua is now 5 years old and has had allergies for the better part of his life. We tried several sifferent meds. For really bad allergies, I must say. the cortisone depot shot works pretty well and lasts for a pretty long time. However, some vets told us its not really good for him in the long-run. We started documenting our story in a blog: Louis The Itchy Chihuahua
We hope other dog owners with similar problems might find it helpful. Cheers

·
Administrator
9,991 Posts
Our little deer head chihuahua is now 5 years old and has had allergies for the better part of his life. We tried several sifferent meds. For really bad allergies, I must say. the cortisone depot shot works pretty well and lasts for a pretty long time. However, some vets told us its not really good for him in the long-run. We started documenting our story in a blog: Louis The Itchy Chihuahua
We hope other dog owners with similar problems might find it helpful. Cheers
I have to ask but has a Vet given him an allergy test? It is a simple blood test. Also what does he eat?

·
Premium Member
1,786 Posts
Brody is such a handsome guy. His coat is so gorgeous! Is he a show dog? When I started my 'chi hunt' I did not want a black one since I've had run ins with several 'junkyard' Chihuahuas and they were always black. But now I've seen so many well socialized black ones I would love to have one! LOL

·
Premium Member
1,786 Posts
PS I ended up with a brindle with a white chest and paws. My husband loves Mickey's coloring, which led him to bring him home to me. Originally, it was a true gift of love from DH, as he doesn't like dogs. However, we've all bonded and now my husband loves him as much as I do! Mickey and I are going away for a week and I don't know who he will miss most. LOL

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
Brody is such a handsome guy. His coat is so gorgeous! Is he a show dog? When I started my 'chi hunt' I did not want a black one since I've had run ins with several 'junkyard' Chihuahuas and they were always black. But now I've seen so many well socialized black ones I would love to have one! LOL
Thanks for the compliments! But no, Brody is not a show dog. In any way, shape, or form. :) But he is in the best health he can possibly be in. Your new baby sounds beautiful. You will have to post some pics! Start a new thread so we can all ooooh and aaaaah over him. :)

·
Registered
274 Posts
This is fantastic! So, for my Chis who are between 5-8 pounds, I can do 1/4 tab for a mild reaction, and 1/2 tab for a super bad reaction.

Any clue on Children's Aspirin tablets and Peptobismol tablets? I have 1/2 an aspirin up to 2 times a day MAX for a 5-8 pound Chi. And 1/8 to 1/4 tablet of Bismuth (peptobismol) for that size Chi. Is that right?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Very accurate info! Thanks for the post so everyone knows. My vet also said the dosage is 1mg per pound and I have successfully used this method with liquid children's Benadryl with my 2 Chi's even with my 15 pound Shiz-Tzu, although I give him less just in case. Works great for seasonal allergies and in our situation also with reverse sneeze caused by allergies.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Thanks Brodysmom! I could have looked this up on here instead of waking up my vet for the info. He gave me the same dosage for my newly adopted 6# Pixie. She began excessive digging late tonight and couldnt stop. I even flea bathed her at 1:30am. Finally I realized she needed benadryl and called emergency vet for instructions. Her 6# equaled 1/2 teaspoon liquid. She threw up but kept enough down so that she is resting now. She will go to the vet tomorrow for observation after her heart pill is administered. I think it was the new pork chew bone. I will sleep soon if she continues to be comfortable lol

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
We added a new member to the Chi family last Thursday. His name is Riley, the vet puts him at approx. 3 years old and he is adorable -- white and tan. He also has allergies which seem to have gone untreated heretofore. We gave him children's Benadryl (2.5 mls per his 5.4 lbs.) the other night for the first time and I'm pretty sure it was the first time ever. He acted like the devil and I was trying to give him holy water. :protest:

The second time we gave it to him, things didn't improve. So I looked at Wal Mart today and noticed the Benadryl Fastmelts (it melts quickly on the tongue). I need to cut each one into fifths based on dosage but I'm thinking it should work just fine. Anyone else tried this?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
3,235 Posts
I keep it on my kitchen counter with syringe ready because seems like Amberleah always needing it. Last wee we were out side and when we came in her head was all hived up. Plus she allergic to many things. If cats knock there food on floor she get it and ears break out all red.. use to give to my Pom when she had bad trachea attack.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Benedryl

Just wanted to mention that Benedryl in Australia is actually a cough linctus and not an antihistamine, just thought I ought to bring this to the attention of Aussie chi owners. Thanks

·
Registered
39 Posts
Oops!!!

Checked the labeling in my medicine cabinet and we have an a in the middle where you have an e, too close for comfort though I would hate to kill a little chi with a dose of cough linctus instead of an antihistamine! Could you just add this to your excellent article on Benedryl. Thanks!

·
Registered
58 Posts
Just my idea for a dose of anything for a chi. If its a human pill, and a 200 pound person can take it. Then a 5 pound dog that weights 40 times less, should have that pill divided up into 40 equal parts and only give one of those parts to the dog.
I guess a very sensitive scale would be the best way to go for that. Something that measures in milligrams.

·
Registered
6,172 Posts
some human medications should not be given to dogs. Period. Benedryl is an exception. If you are uncertain of the dosage call your vet. Usually its one milligram per pound.

41 - 59 of 59 Posts