Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
I have had a look at the medical supplies posts and it looks like my wee Button needs Benadryl...I called our local pharmacy and they need to know which one as there may be some of their product line that cannot be used in dogs.
I need something to help with her breathing, she sounds asthmatic and "snores" even when awake.:(
I really need to get her something ASAP.
Can anyone steer me in the right direction?
Thanks in advance.

Cheers
Terry

·
Administrator
11,989 Posts
The best thing you can do is call your vet or an emergency vet that is open to get dosage information. My vet just told me the other day that I should give the Benadryl in capsule form as it gets in the system faster, but that was for a Great Dane. I have always heard Childrens Liquid Benadryl in the past so I am not sure in which way to point you. But definitely ask a vet on how much to give due to size/

·
Banned
6,940 Posts
I buy the children's liquid benedryl that is 12.5 mg of medicine per 5 ML of medicine. I get it at Wal*greens as they have a dye free version and I don't give my doggies dye!

·
Administrator
6,452 Posts
If she sounds asthmatic, I would take her to a vet. Please keep us posted.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the help all :)
Kay I am tempted to take her to our vet, despite the fact that she was given a "Clean bill of health" from her foster-moms vet prior to Button coming home. He did say that she has some allergies that could be treated with Cortisone should they get any worse.
It's hard to know what is the best thing to do as, currently, she is fast to sleep on my lap and not even snoring! Yet there are times when she sounds like she can barely breath. She seems worse when she gets excited, like when I got home from work today....they are just like children LOL, sick until you get them to the doctor and then they make a miraculous recovery!

·
Banned
6,940 Posts
I would get her checked out just for your own peace of mind...its always a good idea anyway for your vet to be familiar with an animal that you have, so that in the event of emergency they already have her stats. Only our older dog snores but she doesn't sound asthmatic otherwise...so I think its just she's old ha ha. And my dog with allergies doesn't display asthmatic symptoms either...so hope you can figure out what is going on asap!

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
I would give benadryl in an emergency situation (hives, a bug bite, a reaction) but I wouldn't want to give it chronically. Especially not without a vets recommendation.

The adult version comes in 25mg strength. The children's is 12.5mg. That's milligrams not milliliters, they are two different things. Easy to get them confused.

Be sure you don't buy any syrups with xlitol as that is toxic to dogs and it's now being found in more and more children's medications as a sweetener.

I'd have her raspy breathing and snoring checked out and treated by your vet.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Awesome advice Kristi and Tracy. I have made her an appointment with our vet and will be booking her spay at the same time.
Tracy, the info in the medical supplies sticky says she can have 2mg/pound of Benadryl. If childrens Benadryl is 12.5mg. and if mg is different to ml, how much do I give her as she is a little over 2 pounds ? I cannot ask my vet till she has had her appointment next week.
I know she must be spayed but I am terrified she will not wake up after surgery!!!! She is so tiny and you hear so many scare stories about little ones not making it through, it's giving me nightmares LOL
Thanks again for all the help :)

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
I would be hesitant to give a 2 pound puppy any over the counter medications at all! Even though benadryl is generally safe. 2 pounds is just really small. If she's making snoring sounds even when awake, it sounds like something could be wrong with her trachea (collapsing trachea) or kennel cough or something else. I think it would be uncommon for a dog to have asthma. I would have her checked out and find out what's going on. If her snorting sounds are worse when she is excited, that definitely sounds like a collapsing trachea to me and benadryl isn't going to help that. I'd see what your vet thinks!

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks so much Tracy. Thank goodness I have you guys to learn from!! She is just a wee scrap and I would hate to harm her while trying to help!
I will get my vet to give her a thorough exam and ask her to look for any problems with Buttons trachea as this may have been something the previous vet missed.
At the moment she is sleeping on my lap and just giving the occasional "snort" as dogs do...no major snoring sounds at the moment. I have been putting a drop of an essential oil blend on her throat twice a day, maybe it's helping?? Not 100% what is in the blend but it is called "Breath Easy" from K9Essentials. It is designed to use on dogs with congestion of any kind.
I have so much to learn! Thanks once again for all the help and advice!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts