Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6,831 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone ever given it to their Chi's? I had Roo into the vet briefly today to have sutures removed. Unrelated to that, she has come down with a case of hives on her head in the last couple of days so I had them look at it. She has allergies in general, but I'm wondering if it may be due to her dog food switch to Fromm, hope not as she loves it. I talked to my vet and they advised liquid Benadryl. I trust my vet, but I'm such a medicine phobe. Has anyone used liquid Benadryl for their chi?

·
Registered
3,012 Posts
Oh yes. It is a staple in our house. Benadryl is safe for your dog. I have had to use it many times for allergic reactions. :)
Dosage is 1ml per pound of dogs weight.

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
Yes, benadryl should be in every medicine cabinet. It is vitally important for reactions.

Dosage is 1MG per pound. (Oops Lisa!) :) So a 5 pound dog gets 5milligrams. You'll have to read the label of your benadryl for the concentration.

Here's a thread that talks about dosages and indications.

I recommend you write down your dog's weights and dosages and tape it to your benadryl bottle so that you have the exact measurement in case of an urgent situation.

http://www.chihuahua-people.com/showthread.php?t=41463

·
Registered
6,831 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you both. :) Thanks also for the helpful link, Tracy. Much as I love and trust my vet, giving meds always freaks me out. :/ Especially when I've never given it before. The vet tech told me 5 mg's and Roo is 5 pounds even so sounds good.

·
Registered
6,831 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I think too what concerned me was I googled it right when I got home (google freak, right here) and read somewhere someone saying don't give liquid benadryl to dogs, only tablets and they told me liquid so then I started to get worried. Yes, I'm a major worry wart.

·
Registered
3,012 Posts
Yes, benadryl should be in every medicine cabinet. It is vitally important for reactions.

Dosage is 1MG per pound. (Oops Lisa!) :) So a 5 pound dog gets 5milligrams. You'll have to read the label of your benadryl for the concentration.

Here's a thread that talks about dosages and indications.

I recommend you write down your dog's weights and dosages and tape it to your benadryl bottle so that you have the exact measurement in case of an urgent situation.

http://www.chihuahua-people.com/showthread.php?t=41463
Tracy, I thought it is ml since it's liquid and tablets are mg?? I give liquid Benadryl and the bottle is measured in ml's. Am I wrong? :(

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
Tracy, I thought it is ml since it's liquid and tablets are mg?? I give liquid Benadryl and the bottle is measured in ml's. Am I wrong? :(
The dosage is in milligrams but it is measured in milliliters. For example, childrens benadryl is 12.5milligrams per teaspoon which is 5 milliliters. The pills are usually 25mg per tablet. That's twice the strength of children's benadryl.

So if you gave 5ml of liquid benadryl, you would be giving 12.5mg. Which would be too much for a 5 pound dog. More than twice the recommended dosage.

Does that make sense? I know that mg and ml are confusing sometimes!

·
Registered
3,012 Posts
Thank you for explaining that Tracy. I have given the Benadryl to Lila and Lily measured in ml's. They were absolutely fine with it, but thank God they were. My vet told me to give Lila 5 ml's maybe it was because she was having such a bad reaction to the Nupro that she needed more??? I will definitely be putting a call in to the vet.

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
Lisa, you can safely give 2mg per pound in a reaction. Benadryl has a wide safety margin. Some vets will recommend 2mg per pound if the dog has hives, swelling, etc. In that case, 5ml would be just a little over the 10mg at 12.5.

·
Registered
10,596 Posts
I mentioned Benadryl the other day to the vet when Darla was doing a load of reverse snezing due to pollen we think.
But instead was told to give Piriton, a quarter of a tablet.
It helped her.
It is just the same though really as both are for allergies, so i would be fine with either of those.

·
Registered
6,831 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I just got back from the shop and see they only sell the liquid Bendryl in Children's cherry flavor. Was told they don't make the liquid in an adult formula, only children's cherry. Hmm. Is that what you all are using?

·
Registered
3,012 Posts
Lisa, you can safely give 2mg per pound in a reaction. Benadryl has a wide safety margin. Some vets will recommend 2mg per pound if the dog has hives, swelling, etc. In that case, 5ml would be just a little over the 10mg at 12.5.
I just called my vet and he said just what you said
above. It can be given in higher doses if need be.
Thanks Tracy. You are always such a big help. Hugs! :)

I just got back from the shop and see they only sell the liquid Bendryl in Children's cherry flavor. Was told they don't make the liquid in an adult formula, only children's cherry. Hmm. Is that what you all are using?
I use the childrens Benadryl.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts