Chihuahua People Forum banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Administrator
11,989 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
HI guys, I wrote this for another group and thought I would share it here as well. It may not be the appropriate area but I am going to sticky it here as well as it will get more views ;-)

Here is a FYI on the benefits of crate training WHEN USED PROPERLY. Some may think it is cruel but just wanted to share some info ;-) Dogs are den animals just like their relatives, wolves. They need a safe, stress free place to go and have "their time". Crate's are also very beneficial for house training. They keep a dog from harming themselves and your home items, etc... when you are unable to supervise the puppy or a destructive adult (keep in mind though if we leave things out for a puppy it is our fault and not theirs) I have seen many, many obstruction surgeries and deaths from dogs eating and swallowing objects they shouldnt. It is great to train them early to a crate so there is less stress, this is very beneficial when you have to take them to the vet when they are sick and transport them when they are sick. A great quarantine from other pets when they are sick. It can be a great "time out" place for them if they have been bad. When they have to be kenneled or have a stay at the vet, they are used to crates and will not be as stressed out or stress out the other dogs at the Vet's due to barking and nervousness. I also like them as they can be used to keep your dogs safe and at home in catastrophes. I have a metal dog crate set up for each of my dogs downstairs in our basement and if there is a tornado warning, etc... they go down there into there cages. This prevents them from freaking out and running away in a storm, etc... and it also keeps them for the most part from harms way. If used correctly meaning...NOT keeping them in there all day or using it as a cop out for discipline or training (this can cause many issues, including your puppy becoming unsocial, not growing properly/deformed for being put up to long) then it is a wonderful tool for the dog owner =) I do suggest the wire crates over the plastic though, they are sturdier, you can cover it if they do not like it open or you can uncover it if they prefer not to feel trapped. I find that they are much more at ease in a wire crate. Thanks for listening and feel free to share and/or give your own experiences with crate training or add anything I may have missed ;-)

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.