Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
When i was considering switch and wasnt sure if i was going to do it and if it would really make a differance, that very link sealed the deal ;)

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
Some of the benefits I have noticed ...

1. For me, the most important, YOU are preparing the food. You know EXACTLY what you are feeding. You aren't counting on a billion dollar pet industry to do the right thing. After the 2007 pet food recalls that killed thousands of dogs (and now the chicken jerky fiasco), I wanted a natural diet that I would have control over.

2. Small compact stools that disintegrate after a rain. They turn white, turn to dust, blow away. No more picking up sloppy smelly stools. :) The stool volume and frequency is greatly decreased from kibble fed dogs as raw is processed so completely.

3. Shiny coat and clear skin. For many dogs, a raw diet clears up allergies and dandruff. They are healthy from the "inside out".

Here's a pic of a papillon who was fed high quality grain free kibble. A few months after switching to raw, the difference is clear -

4. Great teeth! Raw foods scrub teeth of tartar and keep teeth and gums healthy.

Check out these dogs teeth after just ONE WEEK on the raw diet -

RAW diet results!! | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

5. Lean muscular body, no kibble pudge. Of course raw fed dogs can be overfed and get chunky, but the bio-available raw meat helps to create that lean, healthy body instead of the roly poly soft dogs we are used to seeing.

6. Satisfaction. Dogs LOVE eating a raw diet. Instead of the same boring old cold cereal day after day, bowl after bowl.... they get variety! Beef, pork, bison, venison, chicken, duck... whatever is on the menu! Even rabbit or quail or fish. It's so satisfying to go meat shopping. The dogs get the satisfaction of using their jaws and teeth to figure out a complex meal and the joy of the crunch of the bones. You can TELL they enjoy their food.

I'm sure there are more benefits, those are the ones that come to mind right now. I'm sure others will chime in!! :) Great thread!

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
I cant even explain how happy i am that i switched to raw. Olivias eyes dont water as much and i already see a decrease in how much the poop and its only been two weeks since i switched and i am already seeing some immediate effects. The only thing i regret about raw is that i didnt switch sooner.

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
Oh they are endless! Wonderful string white teeth, Good skin without itchiness or flakes or dryness, cleaner ears, firm little poops and less poops, good hydrated (since raw has so much natural moisture), shiny healthy fur, less shedding, and they enjoy it like crazy. To watch a dog eat raw and love every bite, its so worth it. And the prices! If you can get ahold of a hunter or butcher for scraps, you'll feed your dogs for next to nothing. I probably spend the same money as someone would feeding awful pedigree or purina.

·
Registered
946 Posts
Agreed, we have a great sticky here...and lots of great threads too! There are also raw food forums and some really wonderful books and web sites out there! I would suggest read read read! Learn all you can, it is really rewarding for not only the dog but the owner!! :)

·
Registered
41 Posts
Hi I'm writing to Brody's Mom, I'm the lady on an island. Today I was preoccupied with my little yorkie who got onto chocolate while visiting a friend. She was in the vet hospital overnight because she got pancreatitis. She seemed to recover and we are back on our island with no vet. She seems fine except this morning she had a liitle bright red blood and mucous in her stool. She's eating drinking and playing but today is Sunday and I guess another trip to the vet on the other island tomorrow morning. Meanwhile I gave my little spirit ( chihuahua 4 1/2 lbs) a frozen small chicken thigh (The yorkie is on cooed boiled brown rice and boiled chicken breast for Pancreatitis) anyway before I realized it he ate the whole thigh, bone and all. He looks like a stuffed turkey. I took them both out for a short run and he seems ok but isn't that a lot of food all at once ,bone and all? He's sleeping now. Should I be worried?

·
Registered
889 Posts
Hi I'm writing to Brody's Mom, I'm the lady on an island. Today I was preoccupied with my little yorkie who got onto chocolate while visiting a friend. She was in the vet hospital overnight because she got pancreatitis. She seemed to recover and we are back on our island with no vet. She seems fine except this morning she had a liitle bright red blood and mucous in her stool. She's eating drinking and playing but today is Sunday and I guess another trip to the vet on the other island tomorrow morning. Meanwhile I gave my little spirit ( chihuahua 4 1/2 lbs) a frozen small chicken thigh (The yorkie is on cooed boiled brown rice and boiled chicken breast for Pancreatitis) anyway before I realized it he ate the whole thigh, bone and all. He looks like a stuffed turkey. I took them both out for a short run and he seems ok but isn't that a lot of food all at once ,bone and all? He's sleeping now. Should I be worried?
Your little Spirit will be fine. If they can get it down, and they can keep it down, then it's all good. Just means you can skip a meal, cuz he won't need it :coolwink:

I hope your little yorkie feels better soon. Is she normally raw fed too?

Here is an article I found on pancreatitis in dogs that you may find helpful.
Pancreatitis

·
Registered
41 Posts
Yes I fed both raw but since she got that chocolate poisoning that caused pancreatitis I have her on boiled brown rice and boiled skinless chicken breast. Today she had a little bloody mucus in her stool. She seems fine otherwise . She's eating drinking a little less active today but so is Spirit my Chihuahua. Do you think my Yorkie will go back to normal?
The vet says her kidney enzymes are a little elevated but the rest of her blood work went back to normal. She's drinking normally and eating normally u til that bright red mucus and blood this morning. I'm having such stress over it because it's Sunday no vet here and it's so far to go by boat tomorrow again, es
especially if it's nothing. God bless you so much for answering me. I am so alone here. I don't mind as long as my babies are ok. I wish I hadn't visited my friend then she wouldn't have eaten that chocolate.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I read the article and will put her back on raw. I read so many articles even from raw vets that said to do the boiled rice and chicken for a awhile. I'm concerned about the blood in the stool this morning but it's just a little. I don't know what to do any more. She was in the hospital over night when she ate the chocolate but that was over a week ago and she's been fine until this blood this morning.

·
Registered
889 Posts
I'm not really in position to give advice, as I've never dealt with pancreatitis personally. I just figured I could share what I'd found, and maybe it would ease your mind a bit. I too would be concerned if after a week she wasn't seeming to get better. Personally, I would switch back to raw, but that's me. I can't tell you what to do, just what I would do.

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
I"m late to the party. Sorry. But I agree with the advice given. Would just slowly introduce the regular raw diet again. And don't beat yourself up over the chocolate. Accidents happen. Fortunately our little guys are tougher than you'd think. ;)

Reactions: MMS

·
Registered
41 Posts
Thank you. She's all better this morning.everything back to normal. Am just giving them an egg today. I figure it's light and tomorrow back to raw. My vet said the reason he wanted her on boiled bland for awhile was because with pancreatitis it can't fight off bacteria as well
Until its recovered

1 - 15 of 15 Posts