Chihuahua People Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, today i did my usual morning routine and went to let Bentley out of his room. I always have a look around his room to make sure theres nothing wrong however today i came across what looks like a long roundworm, so im pretty sure hes got them now. Hes at the vets next week, will he be ok till then or shall i get him in sooner?
Also i have read on here Info on Worms in Dogs, Roundworms, tapeworms, hookworms, whip worms, heartworms In young puppies untreated roundworms can cause the bowel to rupture. Puppies get roundworms from their mom, as the larval worms migrate into the womb, or into her teats.
so should i call up the breeder and let them know that the female needs treating for roundworms too?

·
Registered
3,852 Posts
Personally I would call the vet and get him seen today, My William had bad roundworms and it has set him back a lot - he was very sick & now has a sensitive tummy .. They can do real damage . Did you keep the worm if so take it to the vet with you they will be able to confirm that it is a 'roundworm'
Did the breeder worm him? If so how often and with what medication?

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Personally I would call the vet and get him seen today, My William had bad roundworms and it has set him back a lot - he was very sick & now has a sensitive tummy .. They can do real damage . Did you keep the worm if so take it to the vet with you they will be able to confirm that it is a 'roundworm'
Did the breeder worm him? If so how often and with what medication?
yes ive kept the worm, put it in a little plastic container so we could take it with us to show the vet. the breeder had apparently wormed him before we picked him up, im not sure what with though. Were taking him to the vets today to make sure thats what it is, bless him

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I think they wormed him at 6 weeks. Hes had a bit of runny poop now and again, sometimes it has like a mucus substance come out with it too which im going to tell the vet about. He seems fine in himself, the usual mad hour or so then nap time likes hes doing now sleepy head :) hopefully hell be ok, thank you.

·
Administrator
5,713 Posts
Roundworms are extremely common in puppies, they get them from their mum. Your breeder should have told you what wormer he was having and when he was due the next dose. A good breeder worms the pregnant bitch very carefully as well. I'm sure Bentley will be fine, now you are on top of it.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.