Chihuahua People Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So, I had surgery yesterday (laparoscopic). I was diagnosed with endometriosis (which my doctor and I already suspected), some endometrial tissue was removed as well as some adhesions that were binding my right ovary to my pelvic wall. Today I've been completely bed-ridden with a swollen abdomen. I can barely stand or walk and the pain is horrible, even with Percocet and Advil every four hours. :(

But what's been getting me through it all is this:

Teddy's been like this for most of the day! Last night I showed him the incision site on my belly in the hopes that he'd understand that I was injured and not to climb all over me. Usually he'd walk over my stomach to lay on my chest and cuddle, but all last night he practically avoided me. He sat and whined at me but wouldn't come close enough to me to even let me pet him, except when it was ready to go to sleep and he curled up between my knees.

Today he's been my little shadow. I got up to go to the bathroom and he clawed at the closed bathroom door and whined! Whenever I was in a lot of pain he'd whine and paw at my hand, or try to cuddle close to my side. He'd wake up from being completely asleep to follow me as I limped to the kitchen for a drink, and he almost refused to go out to pee when my boyfriend tried to take him out.

I really feel like he's worried about me. He's been the best bedside companion I could ask for. <3

·
Banned
10,704 Posts
Awww Kaila, feel better quick hun!!! :daisy:
You & Teddy are so adorable together!
Dogs really do know when we're not well.
I often have procedures, treatments, surgeries, etc, or am just not well and all three are in bed with me every time.
The interesting thing is that their bad boy attitudes change and they calm down a lot, they know that mama needs quiet time.
Benji is the most intuitive of the three, he will super gently put his head on my lower stomach every time, exactly where it hurts the most.
Dogs are just phenomenal. Gotta love our furkids, where would we be without them?!! :)

Also, please rest as much as possible, do not force yourself to walk unless it's absolutely necessary. Is your bf the one taking care of you?
Oh and I don't know if you ever took it before and in what dosage, but be VERY careful when coming off of Percocet,
it's a tough one to quit all at once, you must do it super slowly to avoid crazy withdrawal symptoms.

Take care & keep us posted on how you are doing! HUGS!

·
Registered
77 Posts
I firmly believe that dogs are Angels with furry coats, I honestly don't know what I'd do without mine. Bless that little one, and I hope you feel better very soon!

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Awww Kaila, feel better quick hun!!! :daisy:
You & Teddy are so adorable together!
Dogs really do know when we're not well.
I often have procedures, treatments, surgeries, etc, or am just not well and all three are in bed with me every time.
The interesting thing is that their bad boy attitudes change and they calm down a lot, they know that mama needs quiet time.
Benji is the most intuitive of the three, he will super gently put his head on my lower stomach every time, exactly where it hurts the most.
Dogs are just phenomenal. Gotta love our furkids, where would we be without them?!! :)

Also, please rest as much as possible, do not force yourself to walk unless it's absolutely necessary. Is your bf the one taking care of you?
Oh and I don't know if you ever took it before and in what dosage, but be VERY careful when coming off of Percocet,
it's a tough one to quit all at once, you must do it super slowly to avoid crazy withdrawal symptoms.

Take care & keep us posted on how you are doing! HUGS!
Yeah, I've been trying not to walk unless I really have to. My bf helps me get in and out of bed, but he's only staying here a few days. He's supposed to go back to his place tomorrow. He's currently in law school and super busy preparing for final exams. While he's been here, he's been working on his laptop whenever he's not at my beck and call. :( I feel so guilty but I really need him right now. I'm not even sure how I'll get along without him tomorrow.

I'm staying with my grandparents but they're not really able to physically help me get in and out of bed, so I'm not sure what I'll do. I'm just hoping this pain gets a LOT better by tomorrow. This is the worst thing I've ever felt.

·
Banned
10,704 Posts
Yeah, I've been trying not to walk unless I really have to. My bf helps me get in and out of bed, but he's only staying here a few days. He's supposed to go back to his place tomorrow. He's currently in law school and super busy preparing for final exams. While he's been here, he's been working on his laptop whenever he's not at my beck and call. :( I feel so guilty but I really need him right now. I'm not even sure how I'll get along without him tomorrow.

I'm staying with my grandparents but they're not really able to physically help me get in and out of bed, so I'm not sure what I'll do. I'm just hoping this pain gets a LOT better by tomorrow. This is the worst thing I've ever felt.
Don't feel guilty! This is what he's there for, to help you, support you, care for you and love you! I'm sure you'd do the same for him!
Can you ask your bf to stay another day? If he really can't, then try not to stress about it, it's the last thing you need right now.
The pain will probably be there a while so you need to try to either sleep, or if you can't then try to occupy your mind with something else.
I find that when I'm on Percocet my brain is mush, so I can't focus on puzzles, but drawing, or even coloring keeps me busy.
It sounds silly, but it's something to do. Because as great as the laptop is, it gets heavy and ouchy after a while, right? (I'm just assuming since your pains are around the same area as mine)
Are you eating and drinking? How is that going?

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah, even though my laptop is small (it's only a 10" netbook), it still feels pretty heavy resting on my stomach. I have to pull my knees up a little and rest it against my thighs instead, but it strains my abs which are really sore right now.

I've been trying to respond to a lot of posts here on the forums lately. I find that I can concentrate on writing a little bit at a time about a few different topics, but if I have to carry on one long conversation I start to struggle with concentration or get sleepy. My bf recommended playing a game on the Nintendo DS, but like you, I can't really focus on puzzles while taking Percocet. :(

Eating and drinking is okay. I had half of a waffle and some strawberries for breakfast, half of a chicken sandwich with mustard and a yogurt for lunch, and a granola bar and some tortilla chips for snacks. No real dinner though. Not to give TMI, but the bathroom has been a complicated situation since the surgery so I've been trying not to eat too much.

·
Banned
10,704 Posts
You can still eat, just try foods that are easier to digest. Definitely no chips, granola bars or waffles!
To make it easier just stay away from foods that are high in fibre, high in fat, spicy or sugery.
Mustard for example will likely cause digestion problems, making things worse for you.
Eat simple foods... soups, broth, boiled veggies, mashed potatoes, eggs, rice, a little fish, little bit of chicken, etc. :)

·
Registered
2,206 Posts
It's a very sweet photo of the two of you. I am continually amazed by how perceptive these little ones of ours are.....one of the many reasons I think why we bond to them as closely as we do.

I hope you recover quickly. :sad4:

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Thanks for the advice and best wishes. <3 I'm still feeling pretty down in the dumps. My bf agreed to stay until tomorrow which is really helpful since no one else is around to help me in the middle of the night when I need to get out of bed or grab more pain medication. I'm hoping to slowly transition off of the Percocet and onto Advil instead.

·
Banned
10,704 Posts
Hope you're feeling better today Kaila! How can you not with Teddy keeping you company, right?! :)

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
Aw hon! =( I just saw this post, must have missed it! I also just did teddy's siggy so I just thought it was extra cute looking at him and now seeing how much joy he is helping you during this time. Brought a smile to my face!!! I love Teddy! I bet seeing that face takes a ton of pain away! He's such a handsome little fella! lol I hope you feel better soon hon!!!

·
Registered
3,814 Posts
first i hope your feeling better soon
what a great little chi you have minding you
bianca does the same with me, if im not well
great little dogs

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
My boyfriend just left for the week to go back to his place. He has some work to do and then school until Thursday. He said I could come over to his place and he'd sleep on the floor (he has a small bed), but I didn't want to do that to him. Luckily he'll be back next weekend and I have Teddy to keep me company in the meantime..

I think I'm suffering from a bit of post-op blues because I've been pretty weepy today. :( It's so embarrassing! I hope this goes away soon!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts