Chihuahua People Forum banner
1 - 20 of 84 Posts

·
Registered
16,946 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so next year im plannin on getting a 2nd dog. dexter should be 4 yrs old by then. was thinking of the bull terrier. does anyone know or have this breed?

·
Registered
116 Posts
Bull terries are so unique. That was my dream dog. They rank up in the top 3 for protection, intelligence, and top for strength per mass

·
Banned
6,940 Posts
I know my chis do not like our Cane Corso. They tolerate her but they don't 'love' her. They don't share space and can't be trusted together alone. That said, she is a wonderful dog and has some of the same characteristics as a bull terrier. We adore her. If Dexter and your new dog will need to be able to share a space 100% of the time, I would try to ensure Dexter has ample time before you buy a bull terrier to tell you what he thinks of them.

Chihuahuas DO seem to be very discerning about liking other chihuahuas. We watched our friend's chi and doxie last weekend. The chis were sooo mean to the doxie and did not like him at all, but were completely fine w/ the chi, played w/ her, etc. The doxie was not any bigger than Laurel so it wasn't a size thing...ha ha I think chis might be 'doggist'.

·
Registered
3,889 Posts
They really are doggist!!!!!! Baby is so mean to dogs but not chihuahuas? Lol besides our mastiffs she was fine with them but also had no problem telling them off!

What the heck kristi I never knew u had a cane corso!

·
Banned
6,940 Posts
They really are doggist!!!!!! Baby is so mean to dogs but not chihuahuas? Lol besides our mastiffs she was fine with them but also had no problem telling them off!

What the heck kristi I never knew u had a cane corso!
LOL well this is a CHI forum! ;) ;)

She is only 5 months old too so we have only had her a few months, she is 50+ lbs so not as big as your mastiffs! But she will prob be 110ish full grown. She really is just about the sweetest dog. The chis are fine w/ her if she is just laying down hanging out but they keep a tight rein on her having any fun or play lmao. They latch onto her big jowls and won't let go til she is laying down and not bothering them!

But yeah, the chis are doggist. No doubt about it.

·
Banned
10,704 Posts
Mini bulls are the bomb! Such active, crazy little clowns! LOVE them!!!
Personally I think all breeds can coexist and even love each others company,
but it seems that Chis do prefer their own kind. Would you consider another Chi?
What are your reasons for getting another dog? Do you have any other breeds
in mind? I'm full of questions today, aren't I?! LOL Sorry, I got a really bad cold,
it's making me feel funny. ;)

·
Registered
16,946 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
lmao u guys for bein "doggist" LOL! thanks for the info :D i wonder if this pertains to dexter though as hes not like normal chis, he prefers a kitten to play with rather than a dog. this is just 1 breed im looking into for now, still got a while to go

Mini bulls are the bomb! Such active, crazy little clowns! LOVE them!!!
Personally I think all breeds can coexist and even love each others company,
but it seems that Chis do prefer their own kind. Would you consider another Chi?
What are your reasons for getting another dog? Do you have any other breeds
in mind? I'm full of questions today, aren't I?! LOL Sorry, I got a really bad cold,
it's making me feel funny. ;)
LOL!!! u are too funny LS. i been considering another chi but i wanna explore first and see if i can mix breeds into my family :) chis are adorable but i love havin a variety of things. i want another dog because a year or so ago i setup a webcam motion monitor in my room while my parents were out of the country and i was at work. what i found was dexter howling...it was so sad. hey ill share here :D
pardon my room, it was a mess back then

i have rat terrier in mind as well as the scottish terrier, westhighland terrier...u can see where im gettin at LOL. terriers are makin an interest to me hehe~

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
Aw Dexter is gonna get a new brother or sister! yay!!!! Shayley & Kizzie (Both Chis) get along with yorkies, boxers, beagles, mixes, german shepards, chesapeake bays lol I don't think there is a dog they didn't like!!! Good luck with your new baby how exciting!!! That video made me sad of Dexter =( Poor buddy!!

Ps: Oh ya Golden R. Labradoodles lol I'm thinking of all the stray dogs that have visited our house in the last 2 + years!! so many we brought in they get along with! Even a pitbull!!! I know there is more I can't think this late! LOL

·
Registered
16,946 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Aw Dexter is gonna get a new brother or sister! yay!!!! Shayley & Kizzie (Both Chis) get along with yorkies, boxers, beagles, mixes, german shepards, chesapeake bays lol I don't think there is a dog they didn't like!!! Good luck with your new baby how exciting!!! That video made me sad of Dexter =( Poor buddy!!

Ps: Oh ya Golden R. Labradoodles lol I'm thinking of all the stray dogs that have visited our house in the last 2 + years!! so many we brought in they get along with! Even a pitbull!!! I know there is more I can't think this late! LOL
hehe im goin for female this time so it will be his sis ;) males are just too territorial lol. 1 man of the house is enough for me :eek: awww ur babies get along with so many breeds! puppies are just too adorable....im gonna melt seein any breed puppy LOL~ i have to get the pup atleast 12 weeks old as i need to start small to introduce to dexter, he loves is furrybuddys tiny :daisy:

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
Awww a little girlie! So sweet! Dexter will be a great big brother!! At least he'll have some company! yaya!! I know, any breed as pups will melt your heart right away!!! :love2:

·
Banned
10,704 Posts
i have rat terrier in mind as well as the scottish terrier, westhighland terrier...u can see where im gettin at LOL. terriers are makin an interest to me hehe~

Ohhh I see, you are considering the terror dogs, huh?! No I do not mean
terrier, it really is terror! LOL No matter the breed all terriers are little butt
heads! TONS of personality, fearless, smarter than us,lol, very active, tougher
to train, just all around crazy little monsters! BUT once you win over their
heart(yes you must win them over, they don't just give it for free like other
dogs,lol) you will have the most loyal, loving, brave, intelligent, interesting
companion you ever had! You really must take into consideration just how
active you are, because they all live for fun and adventure. A bored terrier is
a true terror!!! Also if little Dexter has separation anxiety a second dog might
not help, you will just end up with two howlers. So I would work on Dexter's
anxiety first, so once the new pup arrives he follows a good example that Dex
will set. :)

·
Registered
10,017 Posts
i love all the breeds you mentioned. or how about a little yorkie girl :D , they are great little dogs. i've had Peyton now for one year and two months. she was almost 2 years old when i got her, the same age as Minnie and Tootsie. She was accepted as there new sister right away. it took alittle while for her to feel comforatable here but now she totally loves it here and all 3 of my girls play so nice and love each other

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
Not trying to get on a soapbox; but if you get a female please spay her lol. If I remember correctly Dexter is intact; and I've heard lots of stories of small male chi's impregnating much larger breeds... even the most diligent owners have oopses. And keep in mind also that intact males have a very strong sense for intact females and their presence can cause a lot of stress; if he's been a singleton for so long he may have a very dominant personality too.
So I would say regardless of what breed (and I do LOVE bull terriers) is just to make sure they are introduced properly. And a rule of thumb of most bully breeds is no matter how much you trust them to never leave them alone with other dogs. My friend had a bull terrier mix that was about 2 years old and the sweetest thing; was raised with smaller dogs; went to doggy daycare and never showed an ounce of aggression... they were left alone for 5 minutes when she ran to the store quick and she killed him for no rhyme or reason. I LOVE LOVE bully breeds but people just have to take into consideration what they were originally bred for. Early socialization can work WONDERS and many of them get along splendidly with other dogs with no issues; but they are still cautioned never to be trusted alone with other animals. If Dex is intact and has been a singleton for so long it is not unreasonable to assume he has a dominant personality; which may cause conflict if he tries challenging a larger breed. Also, sharing his territory with another dog may also cause him to start marking to claim his territory.
Ok that's all lol; it's been a while since I've owned a bully breed. Here is a really, really helpful thread that might help you decide on if a bully breed is right for you..
Bully breed owners, info please! (Especially APBT, SBT, AmStaffy)

Whichever breed you choose, good luck! I can't imagine just having 1 dog lol.

·
Banned
10,704 Posts
Not trying to get on a soapbox; but if you get a female please spay her lol. If I remember correctly Dexter is intact; and I've heard lots of stories of small male chi's impregnating much larger breeds... even the most diligent owners have oopses. And keep in mind also that intact males have a very strong sense for intact females and their presence can cause a lot of stress; if he's been a singleton for so long he may have a very dominant personality too.
So I would say regardless of what breed (and I do LOVE bull terriers) is just to make sure they are introduced properly. And a rule of thumb of most bully breeds is no matter how much you trust them to never leave them alone with other dogs. My friend had a bull terrier mix that was about 2 years old and the sweetest thing; was raised with smaller dogs; went to doggy daycare and never showed an ounce of aggression... they were left alone for 5 minutes when she ran to the store quick and she killed him for no rhyme or reason. I LOVE LOVE bully breeds but people just have to take into consideration what they were originally bred for. Early socialization can work WONDERS and many of them get along splendidly with other dogs with no issues; but they are still cautioned never to be trusted alone with other animals. If Dex is intact and has been a singleton for so long it is not unreasonable to assume he has a dominant personality; which may cause conflict if he tries challenging a larger breed. Also, sharing his territory with another dog may also cause him to start marking to claim his territory.
Ok that's all lol; it's been a while since I've owned a bully breed. Here is a really, really helpful thread that might help you decide on if a bully breed is right for you..
Bully breed owners, info please! (Especially APBT, SBT, AmStaffy)

Whichever breed you choose, good luck! I can't imagine just having 1 dog lol.
100% Agree with you on spaying the female. Personally I'd neuter Dexter too.

And even though I love you, I strongly disagree with the part I put in bold.
Bully breeds are by far the most fun loving, kind, gentle dogs out there.
I rescued several Staffies, Amstaffs and American Pits, and NEVER have I had
any reason to worry about them being around other dogs in my house.
Even the dogs that were used to protect drugs or abused were never a threat.
ANY dog can bite, any dog can become aggressive thanks to us humans.
It is our job to raise our dogs with lots of love, structure, discipline, exercise
and socialization, if they grow up to attack then we should slap ourselves,
because WE failed, not them.

"Dogs, as a species, do not perform behaviors “just because”. There are
always reasons for behavior, and when aggression becomes a problem the
reasons can be such things as improper handling, lack of socialization or
training, a misreading of dog behavior by the owner, or, rarely, disease.
Aggression, when it presents in pet dogs, follows specific patterns. First occur
warning signs, then more warning signs, and finally, when those signs are
continually ignored or misinterpreted, the dog resorts to using its teeth. When
an owner is startled by a sudden, aggressive outburst, it is because they
have been unaware of problems that were brewing. This is true of all
dogs, not just Pit Bulls. Pit Bulls, indeed no dogs, “turn” on their owners."

Here is one of my many rescued bulls. His name is Sharky, he was used by his
owner for guarding money and drugs. He was abused, and even his own owner
could not handle him and was afraid. This picture is taken on the 4th day at
our home, after I've finished evaluating him and getting him vetted. Even
after all that he went through and endured he was not dog aggressive.
Sharky is next to Sparky the Chi. Not once did I have reason to worry, if
anything Sparky was the menace,lol.

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
I am not disagreeing; just cautioning because of my own experience. And after it happened to my friend she had a LOT of people criticize her about how she hadn't been a responsible bully breed owner because she made the mistake of leaving it unsupervised even after she had done everything else right for training. I don't believe bully breeds are all aggressive and certainly not to humans; people way too often misunderstand DOG aggression as human aggression. Even historically they were nothing but loyal to their owners. I this thinks web page pretty much sums up what I've heard.
Pit Bull Breed Profile

"What are these dogs surrendered for typically?
Owner turn-ins of pit bulls are usually due to dog aggression (which is often mistaken for human aggression by inexperienced owners)."

"Is this breed good with other dogs in general?
The short answer is no. Developed for the purpose of fighting other dogs, most pit bulls are dog aggressive, at least to some degree. Some pit bulls will simply not tolerate any other dogs, regardless of sex. A few pit bulls will remain dog friendly their entire lives, but they are a minority. The majority of pit bulls are at least same sex aggressive and as adults will not do well with other dogs of the same sex or those that are "pushy" with them, although as pups they may get along fine (this can be very misleading to a novice pit bull owner). Pit bulls will commonly start developing signs of dog aggression between the ages of 8 months and 2 years, although it can develop at any age and can come on either gradually or quite suddenly. It is important to note that many pit bulls do not display the "typical" signs of dog aggression before a fight. They may not growl, bark, or posture at all, but simply alert and raise up on their toes. Owners of dog aggressive pit bulls learn to "read" their dogs and recognize the subtle signs indicating impending dog aggression. Training will not eliminate dog aggression in the pit bull but, when combined with responsibility and vigilance, training can bring these natural tendencies under control in on-leash situations. Where housemates are concerned, if one is a pit bull, extra care should be taken to prevent tension over food, desirable treats (like bones), and favored toys. These items are often "triggers" for spats or fights between dogs sharing the same house and owners should be very aware of them. This is also the reason that an adult pit bull should NOT be left alone with housemates or other dogs. Due to their fighting heritage, many pit bulls do not recognize signs of submission given by a dog they are fighting and, if they are unsupervised, the results can be disastrous. It should be noted that many breeds have dog aggressive tendencies, and leaving any such breed unsupervised with another dog, especially a dog of the same sex, can lead to a tragedy."
And that was from a rescue site. Because many of the ones they get are surrendered for DA issues I think it only makes sense that they would rather err on the side of caution and avoid conflict. I actually believe that being intact is more of a precursor to being dog-aggressive than breed is.
No, not all pitties are DA. That's a horrible stereotype they've been given and people underestimate just how much THEY can do to make sure these tragedies do not happen. It is not difficult to have a bully breed exist peacefully with other dogs.. you just have to know what you're doing and not put in situations where they could be set up to fail.

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
I promise I'll stop hijacking this thread after this LOL but I wanted to post one more article that addresses pitties and other dogs from another rescue website.

Pit Bulls and Other Animals

Success in a multi-pet household depends on the individual animal, training and socialization, and constant supervision by the owner.

Many Pit Bulls interact well with many other dogs and sometimes other pets; so much depends on the individual dog's temperament, training and early and ongoing socialization. However, owners must be aware that the trait of aggression towards dogs and other animals (not towards humans) was bred in, and cannot be reliably trained away. Love cannot change the genetic make-up of your dog.

Many dogs were bred with a specific purpose; herding breeds tend to display nipping behaviors and scent-hounds follow their noses. Pit Bulls were originally bred for work that included bull-baiting and dog fighting. It is not the "hate" of other dogs that drives some to fight, but an "urge" that has been bred into them.

Your dog may not feel compelled to fight with other animals, but carelessness can possibly lead to a sudden, serious fight. Even two dogs who have been friends for years may fight if something triggers an instinct. With any breed, a calm pup could show animal aggression in the future; a dog may not mature and show his true temperament until age three.

In addition, most terriers have a strong prey drive, and often regard cats, rabbits and squirrels as targets. It definitely helps to socialize dogs from the start with many types of animals and find positive outlets for their energy drive. Early and ongoing obedience training is essential as well. A dog who has been raised properly, socialized and trained will be easier to handle.

Benevolent leadership typically results in a dog who respects and obeys you. At the same time, you must always supervise your dog, and keep the environment free of things such as rawhide toys that can trigger a fight between dogs.

It is also important to channel your dog's energy through exercise every day and to keep them mentally stimulated. "

·
Banned
10,704 Posts
We can quote all sorts of articles back and forth, since there is obviously a
difference of opinion. Which we are entitled to. But honestly I'm so sick I'm not
in the mood right now. I stick to my beliefs and just to clarify I am not confusing
dog aggression with aggression towards people, I was simply quoting the article
to demonstrate that dogs do not do things with "no rhyme or reason", as you
put it. There are always signs and warning, whether it is towards humans or
other dogs. Pitts used to be the #1 breed in America, most trusted, loving dog.
It saddens me to see how the media has corrupted the breed.

·
Banned
10,704 Posts
...the media and the irresponsible/ignorant owners.(I should of added that)

1 - 20 of 84 Posts