Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bruno's about 17 weeks.. and I know you're supposed to socialize your puppy as much as possible before he/she turns 16 weeks. I did socialize Bruno with family friends, my friends, and people who came over to our house. I took him around almost everywhere I went. When he was a young puppy, he was very shy, but still let people pet him and hold him.

Now, he growls, barks, and even tries to bite. I do think it's because he's scared, but I don't understand how in just a matter of weeks he's uncomfortable of being around people.

He has the most adorable face and I'd like him to be nice to other people, because people want to pet him. He's the sweetest dog at home, but once we go out, he's totally different.

I'm considering putting him in a puppy training class, like with Petco, do you think that would help with his 'fear' of other dogs and people?

·
Administrator
11,989 Posts
socialization

Do you console him or baby him when he gets scared or bites? If so this is saying that the behavior is okay. Instead of coddling him discipline him and ignore him for being that way. Do not let him know that it stresses you out. Just some things I have learned, I hope it helps. :wave:

·
Registered
4,512 Posts
Well, If he is doing it at your house he might be figuring out the protectiveness in him..

But you might want to tell him no if he keeps doing this it might cause you more problems with aggressiveness in the future..

Good luck and God bless

·
Registered
4,425 Posts
Your pup may have just grown closer to you and is trying to get people to stay back. I'd continue taking him out and socializing him like you've been doing.

Puppy classes might help but I would suggest a dog training academy or somewhere like that over classes at Petsmart. I've heard good things about them, however I personally find them non-productive since they're held in the store and the dogs have to deal with the distractions inside the class as well as the shoppers and dogs outside the class. I took Cooper to a "manners" class, which was basic obedience + a little bit of behavioral training mixed in for his puppy training. It helped the other dogs a lot when it came to meeting other dogs and people - Cooper didn't need to be helped - he is a welcome wagon. :D

When he's meeting people, are you usually holding him? If so, you may want to try putting him down and making him meet folks on his own. I don't know if that would help or not. You may also try practicing by having someone that he knows greeting him in public; maybe that would make him more comfortable.

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
well my black lab is 6 months, and because we didn't have any other dogs in the house (this is at my moms i only have 1 dog there) we wanted him to be as social as other dogs as he could be so we put him in a puppy kindergarten class, they get a half hour of "off the leash socialazation" and they seperate the toy, and small breeds from the medium and large breeds so that dogs won't get hurt. Also he learns his commands like come sit and stay and it is all positve reinfrocement training with clickers so it works well.. i hope i could help you!!
kisses and licks
roie and scoot

·
Registered
2,061 Posts
Gizmo barks at people if he is ground level, but once you pick him up that person he was barking at he lets them pet him....LOL...I think maybe because he see's them as really big people from the ground...

Gizmo is pretty socialized, but I think it's in their nature to be protective....because Giz lets strangers pet him, but leave him on the ground at my house, or my mom's house and he won't have it....LOL....I mean he doesn't attack or anything, just barks and does a tiny growl....

silly lil thing :D

Does your boy let those same people pet him? I would continue to bring him around people. I make it a point to take Gizmo out to a store or to the beach 2 times a week.... :wave:

·
Registered
4,512 Posts
Gadget barks at people that he likes... It is funny because when he is on the ground he will bark at them and wag his tail.. like he is telling them "Here I am pay attention to me". It is cute.. but when I am holding him he won't bark at all... And if he doesn't wag his tail while bearking you better not touch him or me.. he is telling you he doesn't like you...

Which he doesn't do this much... There is a couple dogs he does it to and a few people...

I haven't taken Gadget to any classes.. I have watched a class at petsmart and I didn't like the way they were all smashed in this little circle of chairs and the little dogs were mixed with the big dogs...

We have trained him oursleves and it has worked for us.. but it is hard work.. You have to work with them all the time to get them to mind...

Gadget is now 7 1/2 months and he is doing great..

I would keep working with your pup.. he might need a puppy class... Gadget has always been around people and he loves people so I have never had to worry about that. but the thing I have to wory about is he is sometimes too friendly...

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
I was at Petsmart the other day and talked to the trainer. Zeus doesn't need much obedience classes, but I'm taking him there mainly to socialize him to other dogs. He's good with other people (usually unless someone comes in our house he doesn't know), but when it comes to other dogs, he's a bit iffy. We start class tonight. I'm looking forward to it. Since I just had a baby and the baby has taken a lot of my time recently, I look at this as "Zeus and Momma time".

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
good for you and zues i am sure it will be benificial and zues will get lots of love from his mommy and maybe make some new friends!!

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
I take mine to the chi meetups in my area once a month. I went to one today and there were two grouchy chi's They went after my sturgis I grabbed his lead and pulled him back the woman said no please let him go dont you see she put her tail between her legs and tucked. She needs to know she must get along with other dogs SO please allow Sturgis to stand up for himself. Well I honored her wish and I must say her dogs had a totally different attitude once Sturgis took a stand. I love the chi meet ups great socialization for the chis and we the ones they own have a great time

1 - 10 of 10 Posts