Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

As long as he doesn't try to eat out of her food bowl! Or take her pig ear...

Gracie is mothering little Diesel - I'm sure it has alot to do with the fact that she just finished up her season - last time she had a false pregnancy. (She will be spayed right before the long Thanksgiving weekend, so we can be home with her.)

Pedro is the grumpy 'father' of the bunch. He tries to teach Diesel the ropes, and occasionally mistakes him for a squeaky toy, but he does allow Diesel to play with his favourite toy - his red rubber fish!

·
Registered
4,172 Posts
Oh my goodness these are such sweet pictures! She looks so patient with him. Mine sound like they'd fit in perfectly with your sweet ones. Everyone loves each other unless a cherished toy is in question and then all alliances are off!! haha!

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I really thought I might have made a mistake at first...Gracie was still in heat when I bought Diesel home, and she was a grouch about it. We had to really watch them closely together, because Diesel has NO FEAR, and all he really wanted to do was nurse, even though he was 10 weeks old.

The two of them kinda shut Pedro out a bit, or it may be Pedro's choice...He's got that Cairn terrier in him, and he isn't quite as snuggly and needy as the Chis. So it may just be the natural order of the pack.

Thanks, everyone, for the compliments. We love them all!

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
Oh I just love these pictures!! Diesel seems like the perfect name for him! And Gracie must be the best big sister ever! Pedro will get used to it, I'm sure, or maybe he's fine be on his own now! :)

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Pedro has always been a bit of a loner, and other than that he seems to be tolerating Diesel (and all his antics and high energy) very well. I just don't want him to feel left out, because these two are becoming very close.

Wish me luck...We're trying something different tonight. Gracie has ALWAYS slept in the bed with us, under the covers. Pedro sleeps in his comfy chair with his own afghan in the corner of the bedroom, even though he has a dog bed. Diesel has been sleeping in a small crate beside the bed, but he's been waking up whining numerous times during the night...It's like having a newborn, and I'm too old for that!

Soooooo...Tonight, he and Gracie will sleep together in the large crate downstairs that they share during the day while we're working. Hopefully, we'll get a bit more sleep, but it could go bad, since Gracie is used to sleeping in bed with us. I don't think Diesel will care either way, as long as he has his Gracie, and the crate is large enough for his puppy pad, just in case.

·
Registered
6,831 Posts
Aw they are so sweet! I'm glad Diesel is fitting in so nicely and that him and Gracie are such good buddies. :)

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks, everyone!

The sleeping arrangements are working out GREAT! My husband and I have our bed back! :D

Gracie and Diesel even go get in their crate when they don't have to...No more whining cause he has Gracie to cuddle with, and I've even gotten to sleep until daylight a couple of times!

She can still be bossy with him now and then, but it's always over chewies, so we make sure none go in the crate when they are enclosed.

Diesel is doing pretty well on the house training...As long as we stay on top of things and take him out every hour or so. He's doing so well that I'm hoping we'll be close to trained by the time the real cold weather hits.

He must not be as cold natured as Gracie...Every time we put a shirt on him and put him in the crate, he takes it off and poops right on it! I guess that's his way of saying "Dats what I finks of your shirts, Mom!"

TLI, right now he reminds me of your gang...He's so tiny, we really have to watch where we're stepping because he's always underfoot. I know he won't be as small as yours as an adult, but I don't think he will be anywhere close to Gracie's 5 lbs!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts