Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
710 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So there's this pup who's a Chi mix.
He lives in my neighborhood and so does a relatives of mine live a couple houses down.
I'd rather not go into detail why they don't make him officially their "pet"
They had their dog die about a year ago and they wanted no more dogs for a long time
But this little dog is starting to "win" their hearts
At the moment he's being fed and gave water by them.
And allowed inside the house (in a room where it's cool) when it's extremely hot outside.
But flea's and ticks are a huge problem.
I gave them puppy safe shampoo yesterday and ear wash. They have successfully taken of all fleas and ticks. But once they let him out again he hangs out with other dogs and goes to other yards and picks them up.
I know they can go naturally (I've done it before) with Apple Cider Vinegar and water.
Yesterday I gave them a flea and tick spray (store bought but it's sorta natural)
He's right under the 6 month mark but I do plan on giving them flea and tick shampoo once hes 6 months.
Also that's when he can use the little tube things. Maybe that would help more.
I personally believe nothing will stop it until they keep him long term inside.
Of course I can't tell them to officially keep him. Plus I am happy to help and give them stuff I use for my own dogs but I definitely don't have the room or time to take him in (not an option at all to take him in)
"Technically" he belongs to the neighbor
Neighbor could care less honestly
Any thoughts? To at least keep them down while still being an "outdoor" dog

·
Registered
488 Posts
I have had good success with Natural Chemistry products. Our Pet Supplies Plus carries them, and other local stores might too. They have a killing/prevention shampoo and a spray similar to the one Huly recommended. Similar products abound and may be like what you have now. Natural Chemistry's De Flea is safe for even tiny puppies and kittens and kills fleas on contact. It can be rinsed off if desired. It doesn't have a smell and doesn't repel bugs, but can be used like a waterless shampoo, which might be convenient. Good luck!

·
Registered
710 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks to the both of you
For now I think they'll stick to picking them off and bathing him.
At least till he's 6 months
They then could use flea and tick shampoo and some sort of other product.

·
Administrator
9,991 Posts
Thanks to the both of you
For now I think they'll stick to picking them off and bathing him.
At least till he's 6 months
They then could use flea and tick shampoo and some sort of other product.
The products we both mentioned are all natural holistic so honestly you don't have to wait until he is 6 months. The Vetri Science is made from lemongrass

·
Registered
710 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The products we both mentioned are all natural holistic so honestly you don't have to wait until he is 6 months. The Vetri Science is made from lemongrass
I understand that
But I will pass on what you recommend to them
I just really doubt they'll go for it to be honest
I asked the question to see what would "help" more what they already have available to them
Like I said he's officially not their pet
And I don't want to get too much involved (as I have no intention of making him mine)
At the moment their thinking of getting him a kennel for when he's inside but he's been doing good since he's only had one accident inside they house.
So they really don't need it technically

·
Registered
710 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Now you can wash the pup in Dawn to kill fleas but not too often as it will remove natural oils in fur.
That's what they have been doing
There able to take off all the fleas and ticks (when they 1st started his ears were the worst)
But once they let him out for the day or just a potty break he goes to hang out with other dogs (he's use to it) that are not that well taken care of. And that's how he gets fleas and ticks or even going to a yard he can easily pick up them
When he comes back he has fleas and ticks. They sit with him outside and pull them off again and put him in.
Now that they do it a couple times a day he has less overall but they don't enjoy it doing it daily. Which I don't blame them because it does suck.

Also thats why I gave them "Hypoallergenic" Shampoo
Since it's puppy safe and I think it should be gentle
Cause I know Dawn could be hard on their fur

·
Administrator
9,991 Posts
Yeah the thing to remember or to use as an example when mentioning dawn is that they use it on wildlife to remove oil from oil spills from fur and feathers. So it does dry out the fur as it is removing natural oils. :)

·
Registered
710 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I believe Frontline is considered safe to use on puppies that are 8 weeks or older. There are cheaper generic versions of it, too.
SENTRY FiproGuard MAX Dog Flea Tick SqueezeOn upto 22 lbs 3PACK | eBay

A flea comb could also help them pick them off easier. I bet there are a ton burrowed into his fur that they aren't getting, unless they are using a flea comb.
Thank you
I thought they all products need for them to be 6 months (I have bought the same brand for years)
I will look into other brands
They are not using a flea comb and I didn't think of that.
I will definitely pass on the message

·
Registered
710 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yeah the thing to remember or to use as an example when mentioning dawn is that they use it on wildlife to remove oil from oil spills from fur and feathers. So it does dry out the fur as it is removing natural oils.
I never thought about it that way
I knew it could dry out their skin but I never connected it to how it's used on wildlife to remove oil
That makes more sense and that's how I'll explain it to them

·
Premium Member
1,787 Posts
Dawn and dog shampoos will kill the fleas if left on for 7 minutes after lathering.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts