Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,050 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey yall! The betta I got a few months ago and have been keeping in my 8 gallon planted tank is doing really great- and so are the plants. It looks really cool and hubbie is loving growing the plants. We just have a little problem... blue green algae is growing due to some over-fertilization issues. And actually that is not my problem. My problem is that we are doing a 3 day blackout of the tank to take care of the algae. What you do is totally black out the tank by covering it in black and putting it in a dark room so no light whatsoever gets to it for 3 days. The plants can handle three dark days but the blue green algae can not.

Obviously the betta needs to come out. Even if he could take the dark he still needs fed and the tank can't be uncovered at all for 3 days. I was thinking of just putting him in a ball jar for 3 days. You think that will be ok? My house stays a pretty consistent 80- that's what we keep the AC on- so he should be fine without the heater. People seem to keep them in ball jars all the time so I figure it is an ok temp solution. Should I change the water or will 3 days be ok? If I do need a water change how much should I do? Do you put anything in the ball jar or no?

Thanks guys!

·
Registered
275 Posts
He should be fine for three days. Honestly they are very hearty fish and would most likely be ok without food for three days as long as he had oxygen. Not sure is the three days without light would hurt him but as i said he will be just fine in a ball jar for three days. They keep them in those tiny containers at the pet store for weeks. It isn't particularly pleasant for them but not harmful either. Good luck!

·
Registered
6,172 Posts
Just make sure that you take out enough water from his tank, so that he isn't subjected to 'new' water. I bet you knew that though!

·
Registered
873 Posts
Yep, he should be fine. Definitely make sure the water is from his tank, and as long as he has access to the oxygen at the top of the jar he should be just fine in his temp tank. I would put a screen on top, though, so he doesn't try to jump out.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts