Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
She was getting flax oil for about 2 months (Vets instructions)But there was NO change.Someone on here mentioned salmon oil so me and my husband went to pet smart and seen the pump bottle of the wild alaskan salmon oil and got that.Shes been getting one pump a day for a week now.As far as food ,vets got her on Hills prescription diet DD.Shes been on that about 6 months.So much of her hair is gone!I WAS washing her twice a week (vets instructions)with selsun blue and infusion conditioner.Some of the ladies on here suggested oatmeal shampoo,so i got that and tried that yesterday.ANY HELP OR SUGGESTIONS ,WOULD BE APPRECIATED!!!!!

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
oh i forgot to mention, the DD is venison and potatoes.some of the ladies on hgere has suggested wilderness blue buffalo

·
Banned
10,704 Posts
I'm sticking by my suggestion of switching the food to a higher quality grain-free
one, washing less and adding good quality fish oil. If you follow through you will
see results, but bare in mind it takes some time.

·
Registered
719 Posts
You can also try giving her supplements like nupro or missing link. Tiny has dry skin and was losing hair on her throat and chest, i went to petsmart to buy missing link plus cuz it was on sale and i had a $3 off coupon. Tiny's been on it for a week and her hair is growing back already! Before that, tiny was on fish oil but it didn't help much, it just gave her some shine.

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
I agree the salmon oil and a grain free food. You can also give her virgin coconut oil but they need a very small amount. Try not to bathe her too often, that dries her skin more.

·
Registered
5,776 Posts
I'll echo what the others have said. Grain free food and fish oil. Also, bathing twice a week will irritate the skin more than help it, so I'd lay off the bathing. I bathe Toby once a month unless he gets into something. The natural oils in their skin help heal them.

·
Registered
4,436 Posts
Science diet is yukie food that causes many problems. I know from experience because it was prescribed for my chi years ago!! Definitely need a better no grain food. ZiwiPeak is one of the best. A good moisturizing dog shampoo like Hylite will work. I don't really see a problem with your dogs skin. It looks ok to me. If she's loosing hair; it's summer & she will shed.

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thank you to all of you!going to try to get to pet smart this week. I'm at my whits end!im so glad I joined this forum!!

·
Registered
5,776 Posts
You're so welcome! I know that if you get her on a higher quality kibble, her skin and fur will look SO much better. Good luck to you and Missy!!!

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
Cricket has dry skin on where her knees would be in the front. The bend at her front knees anyway. I rub lotion and only bathe her every 6 weeks.

·
Registered
3,771 Posts
I agree with everyone on here regarding the food. Why oh why do all our vet's recommend this Science Diet?
i have yet to go into a vets office and NOT see this crap for sale! :foxes15:

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I didnt realize hills prescription diet and science were the same thing,until i started looking on here.I'm glad i came across this site!

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
I agree with everyone on here regarding the food. Why oh why do all our vet's recommend this Science Diet?
i have yet to go into a vets office and NOT see this crap for sale! :foxes15:
Our vet doesn't recommend any food. He doesn't care what you feed your dog as long as its eating and gaining weight, and keeping weight ect. Now there are some dogs as they get older that can't eat certain foods or whatever, and then he will give something, even though he has signs for science diet he doesn't recommend it. lol

1 - 17 of 17 Posts