Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Our new little Carmella bites!! She bites our faces, she bites our feet, legs, arms, anywhere she can get ahold of a piece of meat and she doesn't let go! And her little puppy teeth are so sharp! If we play with her just a little she gets rough and starts attacking us. Of couse she's just a puppy but it does hurt! Is this common? My Bitsy is the complete opposite of her. Also, her nails are sharp and I'm not sure if we can clip them yet?

·
Registered
2 Posts
I know the way I broke my pups from that was as soon as their teeth touched my skin I would immediatly stand up say no bite and walk away with my arms folded and turn away from them, then in like 30 seconds I would come back nicely and play with them again and if they would bite I would do the same thing over and over till they would see that when they bite then they get no attention and eventually they will lick instead and then you praise them alot. I also have my kids do the same thing and it teaches them that they cant bite them either..hope that helps, april

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
My kids are afraid of her (in a silly kind of way) and my husband is considering changing her name to Jaws! lol :)

·
Registered
454 Posts
Puppies love to bite! It can be one of the most trying things about having a new puppy next to house training. Hopefully you can train her not to quickly because those little razor teeth are killers.

·
Registered
256 Posts
I have one like you and did a whole lot of reading up on nippers.

Firstly you dont want to teach them to NEVER bite to begin, because they need to learn bite inhibition, that is to not bite hard. If they are not allowed to ever bite they can't learn what's a hard bite and what's not. So a big loud OWWWW when they bite and it hurts follwed by a period of ignoring - like someone else said 30 seconds or so. Once they learn bite inhibition then you can move on to no biting because if they ever DO bite after that it wont be hard.

I also taught mine to 'let go' when he wouldn't let go. We taught let go and now if he grips on with the teeth and you ask him to he will let go (to begin with treat EVERY let go with a tiny piece of boiled chicken).

·
Registered
105 Posts
I was always told when they start biting you're suppose to yap or shriek like you are in a lot of pain to scare them and it stops the action. Could be wrong though lol

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
^Nope you're right. It basically teaches the dog in the same way that he/she would learn... when THEY get bit too hard when roughhousing with littermates, they do the same thing; they shriek and will basically ignore the other pup as a way to say 'that's too much!!' It's like teaching the dog in it's own language lol.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts