Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I feel bad for Bijoux she is stubborn but unfortunately for her she has a mommy who is 2x as she will ever be.

She had a high value item today and went to take it away and she snapped at me! Well I could not have that so a quick no removal of her 'high value item' and since she didn't want to play nice she was put in her pen -also I needed to walk Lincoln- so anyways she's in her pen and she starts crying and crying and crying! She will not stop! she's going on 30 minutes so far!

All i can think is if I don't curb this behaviour she will have separation anxiety and grow up as a spoiled snapping brat all the things I'm so desperate to avoid.

I am 100% ignoring her, and waiting for her to stop so I can praise her for it this is correct yes? Also the snapping..she is so well socialized already she's met so many people and been just a dream, I can't have her become that horrible stereotype chihuahua I know she isn't like that!

arg...over whelmed...

update: 45 min later and she has stopped for about 10 min going to wait another 10 then go in to ensure she's realized I'm NOT going in just because she wants me to *big strong back mama* it's so hard to hear one of my babies crying : (

·
Registered
4,652 Posts
After a minute of quietness I'd have let her out. :) So she remembers what she's being praised for. I wouldn't wait another 20 minutes if I was you.

Next time you give her a treat, chew or toy. Put it on the floor & "guard" it. Don't let her have it until she sits & waits for it. It's really an easy thing to correct at such a young ages. She's just testing her boundaries is all. :)

·
Banned
51 Posts
She snapped at 9 weeks old?? She's a little young to be snappy (not that any dog should snap but) I would be concerned about the temperament of her parents did you see them both???

I agree with Heather to a certain degree you need to make her realise that you are the boss however I would tred carefully with her and you need yo start making her work for everything teach her to sit, laydown etc and make her do something for everything even before you pick her up!!!

Good luck

·
Registered
6,172 Posts
Lots of puppies snap when there is a item they have or want. She is just acting like you are her litter mate!! Remember that YOU are what she wants. Putting her away for a short time makes a big impression on her. You did good! I wouldn't have left her for an extra 20 minutes, she'll forget what she was 'put away' for! Remember they have an attention span of a gnat! Sue with the chi's

1 - 5 of 5 Posts