Registered
820 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i know i've said this before but...

bobo's a chihuahua/toy manchester terrier
and he has really thin hair on the bottom
half of his back (i dont mean his belly). his back
has about 2 inches wide of "enough hair" but i can
see his skin the rest of the way down to his belly.

and i know those little dark spots on his belly/chest
are normal but, ive noticed there are BIG dark spots
on the skin on his back, what is that? something like
freckles but way bigger? decoration? what?! im worried.
(its not apart of his coat)

·
Registered
746 Posts
I love the loin cloth :lol:

I do think it is normal coloring. Mo has dark spots like that (freckles and larger dark areas) on his belly. I think you just see it more on bobo because of his white fur. Mo probably has them on his back too, but he has red fur, so they blend in.

·
Registered
1,796 Posts
If you are that concerned I would have a Vet look at him. He is really cute! I agree, Your illustration is hilarious! :wink:

·
Registered
820 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
LOL....thanks...bobo was shy about showing his goods.
he wanted to keep it PG13

chimom: no, i dont know why its so thin...

anyone know if its supposed to be thin or not? maybe because its summer?

i dont know! he barely scratches or sheds.

·
Registered
820 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
i dont think my vet likes me...LOL
he's kinda snappy when he talks.

but i can take him on any day!

·
Registered
4,059 Posts
I also think its normal looking...does it feel like normal skin?

Ginger is starting to get black spots on her body now...especially her tail...vet said it was normal.

I agree if this is worrying you then see the vet...they will be able to tell you for sure if its something to be worried about, but I think as long as it feels like normal skin and isnt bumpy, leathery, or odd feeling you are fine

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
Okay people, before you get alarmed, this is a completely normal thing. :wink: Most dogs with white or white/spotty coat have pigmentation like that. You wouldn't see it on dogs with rich coats, but it is visible on dogs with very thin or short coats. A perfect example would be Dogo Argentino (sometimes if you look well you can see little dark spots through his coat). Another perfect example is Chinese Crested hairless dog, who has visible pigmentation marks on his body.
http://www.dogbreedinfo.com/chinesecrested.htm

My Billy is a long coat and has many dark spots on his belly. His coat is thinning now (he's only 4 months old) as at this time all his coat changes with the new stronger one......so now he looks really ugly :shock: :wink: .

·
Registered
820 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Ory&C said:
Okay people, before you get alarmed, this is a completely normal thing. :wink: Most dogs with white or white/spotty coat have pigmentation like that. You wouldn't see it on dogs with rich coats, but it is visible on dogs with very thin or short coats. A perfect example would be Dogo Argentino (sometimes if you look well you can see little dark spots through his coat). Another perfect example is Chinese Crested hairless dog, who has visible pigmentation marks on his body.
http://www.dogbreedinfo.com/chinesecrested.htm

My Billy is a long coat and has many dark spots on his belly. His coat is thinning now (he's only 4 months old) as at this time all his coat changes with the new stronger one......so now he looks really ugly :shock: :wink: .

ew that chinese crested has white spots =)

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
Check out this one http://images.search.yahoo.com/sear...se+crested&type=jpeg&no=19&tt=11,308&ei=UTF-8

Not that it matters though..... light base and dark patches or dark base with light patches is the same thing. It's just a matter of how pigmentation is spread around. The point is that it's normal and it's really just a color of skin. Some of you guys have freckles too and you won't visit doctor because of it :wink: .....

·
Registered
897 Posts
OMG the photo of Mo looks just like my Angel. She had the exact same pigmentation. Amazingly enough though, I was looking at her last night and it has faded dramatically. She is 7.5 months old. I can't believe I never noticed the spots were gone. LOL!

·
Registered
746 Posts
I noticed Mo and Angel do look quite a bit alike! I hope his spots don't fade too much...I like them! He certainly isn't shy, like Bobo, about showing his privates! In fact, this is his preferred sleeping position, with one of his humans under him, of course. :D

1 - 16 of 16 Posts