Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I do a lot of dog fostering, but they've all been bigger dogs, Pitties up to Great Danes. My own dog is 3/4 Newfoundland and 1/4 Lab.
So this 10 week olk Tea Cup Chi is quite a shock for me. She needed a place to go though.
She is purebred and was the only one of the litter that survived and the breeders didn't want to sell her for some reason or another. She was in a clothes hamper until she was 9 weeks old.
She's getting steadier on her legs and does her funny little run all over the house. Her personality is starting to show through and she is one fiesty little girl.
I named her Breena. Breena is a Fairy Queen. I thought that was appropriate.
I had been given some goats milk supplement by the rescuer, so I started with that and started adding dry food into it. I have Iams puppy for toy dogs for her. I've been feeding her 3 times a day, and leaving a bowl of plain dry food out for her to start eating. I supplement with chicken breast, sweet potatoes and a little cheese as a treat. Since she's so small I can't weigh her the normal way, but I did have to put a larger ribbon around her neck to hold her bell on. If she doesn't have the bell on I end up stepping on her! She small but DANG she is fast!! She knows her name and I'm working with her on basics a little at a time.
I don't think I've ever had a dog in the house that was less than 50 lbs. So this is interesting.
Don't ask if I am going to keep her because I honestly don't know. I'm a Big dog lover all the way back...
Any advice for this big dog lover when it comes to this wonder that weighs less than one pound???

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
Firstly, before anyone else gives you a lecture google 'teacup Chihuahua myth' and have a read. By the sounds of it she's from a breeder that's the exact reason why Chihuahua enthusiasts hate that term and want to end the 'teacup' trend once and for all.

Secondly I would get her on a better food than Iams (check out dogfoodanalysis.com for unbiased reviews but general concensus around here is that ZiwiPeak, Arcana and Fromm have been excellent choices). Skip the goats milk, cheese, chicken breast (I'm assuming it's cooked?) and sweet potatoes, none of these are a natural food source for a puppy (well the chicken would be if it we'ren't cooked) and could cause irritation whilst providing no nutritional value. You can give lactose free puppy milk if you think she really needs it but if she's eating well you shouldn't need it and it may fill her up and stop her from eating adequate portions of a nutritious food that she really does need.

Have some nutrical on hand in case she starts to look lethargic as she could have low blood sugar, you should be able to get it from a pet supply store. Up until they were over 2lb I gave mine nutrical before bed so their blood sugar didn't dip overnight and then a bit first thing in the morning just in case they didn't want to eat much breakfast.

Good luck and don't hesitate to ask any more questions.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Hi :) Welcome to CP and congrats on your new chi baby! Thankyou for rescuing her - you'll need to keep a close eye and certainly get her on better food I transitioned my pups onto Ziwipeak at the recommendation of a lot of people on here and it has been FANTASTIC its very economical too as you only have to feed the tiniest amount. Put CP in your bookmarks and really get as much info as you can and ask millions of quetions as theey will se you through everything! Where do you live ? :) hope to see you posting and getting involved would love to see pics :) x

·
Registered
4,436 Posts
Don't have to ask if you're going to keep her. Sounds like you've been bit by the chi bug & she's won you over all ready!! Congrats on your new chi baby!! Iams is the worst food you could give a dog, especially a pup that needs all the best nutrition she could get in the early stages of life. Can't wait to see pics. You could find a collar for ferrets for her to put a bell on that would be safer than a ribbon. If she gets the ribbon off, she could chew on it & swallow the bell.

·
Premium Member
9,990 Posts
I agree on the food. Check out Dog Food Reviews and Ratings | Dog Food Advisor

The nutrical is also great to keep on hand. Also get a lot of all natural made in the USA bones or chew toys as one thing I noticed from large breed to small breed dogs is their teeth are like razors when they start to teeth.

Good Luck and thank you for saving her!

·
Registered
1 Posts
hi i am new here, but i was also a big dog lover. i had never owned or fostered a dog less then 40 lbs. i have 3 big dogs, and just recently had gotten an 8 week old chi from a family member and then about a week later i took one on as a rescue/foster she was skin and bones. i have had her about a month now and shes gained almost a full pound. although it took me every bit of 3 weeks to gain her trust, her and the puppy chi neko are my babies! yes she is a failed foster. lol. shes here for the rest of her like.. to be honest little dogs are in a leauge of their own. i was never interested in having little dogs till these guys came along they really warm them selves right into your heart. Everyone gets along great but now the 10 week old chi runs the house.

·
Administrator
5,713 Posts
Same here, I always loved big breeds, my dream dog was always a blue Great Dane. Now I wouldn't have anything other than Chis, they do that to you!
Treat her just the same as any other puppy. The only difference is in the feeding, because they are so tiny and eat such small amounts, every bite counts. Chis need the best quality food possible and you need to ensure they are eating regularly to maintain their sugar levels and avoid hypoglycemia.
As for training, exercise etc don't treat her any differently just because she is small. Chihuahuas are very active clever dogs, and will definitely manipulate you into letting them have their own way given half a chance!
Good luck with her, and please post some pics she sounds adorable.

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
ROTFL...don't forget the pedialyte too...settles upset tummies...and watch out at that age they like to go under furniture too...be careful of any recliners, need to know where she is before sitting down. There's another be careful...very important...pay close attention...THEY'RE very addictive you can't seem to have just one...LOL ;)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts