Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,
I have never shared my space with a tiny dog before, and 4 months ago, I adopted a middle-aged stray long-haired Chihuahua who is now named Al. E. Gator, Gator for short. What an experience! I have been a professional dog trainer for 12 years, and not trained a Chihuahua before. I am enjoying the heck out of this little guy, but he has some behaviors that I have never seen in any other dog.

Granted, he wasn't neutered till a month before I got him, and he was so skinny I could feel every curve in his pelvis and chest; but is it normal that he turns around and eats his poop faster than I can catch him; and he takes all the pillows in my house, tosses them on the floor, stacks them up tall and humps them? I am treating him with some cayenne pills for the copraphagia; and I hide my bed pillows now when I'm not using them! I am attaching some pics (if it works). I also think he might have some Yorkie in him - his body is very long. He has deformed legs (probably rickets as a puppy) but they just make his gait a little choppy. My big dogs are rescues, and everyone gets along, thank heavens. This little dog was found loose in the alleys of Gary, Indiana (not a place anyone should be caught, dead or alive).. so I'm pleased he has acclimated so far. But any other insight particular to Chihuahuas regarding copraphagia or making love to decorative pillows would be welcomed!

Lauren

·
Administrator
6,452 Posts
Hello and Welcome to the forum.
So you have a poo eater, don't worry you are not the only one. Some people put a little pineapple juice over the food but I think if you sprinkle a little meat tenderizer it may work alittl better and faster. Good Luck. Would love to see photos.

·
Administrator
11,989 Posts
He is adorable! Welcome to the board! :)

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
Google coprophagia, you'll find a ton of info! I've heard that clicker training can be used to modify this behavior. Perhaps he was punished in his previous home for pooping in the house, so he is conditioned to remove the 'evidence'. There are many facets that factor into this behavior.

As for the mounting behavior, as a new dog in your home - he is probably trying to assert his dominance. If he is the only small dog, he is probably feeling frustrated and low man on the totem pole. It's possible he still has some testosterone circulating around his system if he was only neutered a few months ago. Time and re-directing his behavior should help. Confidence building exercises would be great. Again, clicker training may be a help in this situation.

·
Banned
7 Posts
Hello and Welcome to the forum.
So you have apoo eater, don't worry you are not the only one. Some people put a little pineapple juice over the food but I think if you sprinkle a little meat tenderizer it may work alittl better and faster. Good Luck. Would love to see photos.
:lol:

that made me laugh

1 - 10 of 10 Posts