Chihuahua People Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Sorry for making another thread but I had an urgent question. My 3 year old lil toy chi hasn't pooped in the house since we adopted him, he seems to understand he shouldn't pee on the carpet anymore but he did pee in his bed. I did not see him do it and I think I might have made a mistake with being as stern as I was, I raised my voice and took him to the backyard to finish (which he didn't). Now the poor little guy is scared of going outside. Actually he was more scared before, I'm not sure why, but I know I just made the situation worse :( What can I do so he doesn't think he's being punished when I put him outside?

On a side note, I don't feel like I have it in me to be stern with him again. He just looked so sad to me. The downside of having such a cute dog, when they give you the eyes it just destroys your heart. I really feel terrible :(

·
Registered
3,727 Posts
To try to regain his trust, take him out with a pocketful of treats, if he goes outside at all, give him a treat. If he goes potty, more treats. let him see that going outside is a good thing. As you found out, yelling can be conterprodutive especially if he is a sensitive dog. If you didn't catch him in the act, he has no idea why you are mad at him. They have a very short memory and can't put the accident with the yelling. If he has an accident, clean it up quietly, and let it go. Things happen. If you do catch him, pick him up QUIETLY and take him outside and say 'potty' or whatever yo chosen word is. If he finishes, treat. if not, maybe next time.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
He's still nervous about a lot of things so he doesn't really like treats yet - he seems to be eating at his own pace. I've bought a bunch of different kinds of treats and he isn't into anything. I am trying to reward him with praise but I'm not sure if it's as effective as a treat would have been. He pees lying down on his bed so he might pee right as im looking at him and I don't notice while it's happening, it's tough to even see that he did go.

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
hi i know how you feel any time i have to correc t my buster [which is almost never] he flips over so pitiful and looks at me like im so sorry it just tares me up that is one of their chacteristics i guess does evryones chih do this thanks

·
Registered
34 Posts
May I ask where you got this puppy from?? Did they tell you HOW he was trained? My puppy held her pee and poo for SEVENTEEN hours when I first brought her home! I thought she was trained to go outside but it turned out that she was trained to go in the litter box on pee pads! Well I bought some pee pads down in a litter box and wow!!! She HAD to go!!! I felt so bad!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
hi i know how you feel any time i have to correc t my buster [which is almost never] he flips over so pitiful and looks at me like im so sorry it just tares me up that is one of their chacteristics i guess does evryones chih do this thanks
Isn't it just heart-wrenching? I cuddle with him so much and give him lots of love, I hope he doesn't stay upset with me.

May I ask where you got this puppy from?? Did they tell you HOW he was trained? My puppy held her pee and poo for SEVENTEEN hours when I first brought her home! I thought she was trained to go outside but it turned out that she was trained to go in the litter box on pee pads! Well I bought some pee pads down in a litter box and wow!!! She HAD to go!!! I felt so bad!
Any suggestions in how to get him to start using pads? At least outside I could tough it out and he might eventually go but I'm not sure how to get the message across with pads.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I never raised my voice or said anything when I first started to pee pad train him, i just picked him up and put him in the right place. I figured if i scream he will be scared and just go when I'm not looking or around.

·
Registered
34 Posts
My puppy just came to me trained this way. Just put a pad down and set him on it every couple hours or 20 minutes or so after he eat and RIGHT after he drinks. If you have a play pen, put a pad in the pen with him. If he goes potty anywhere but on the pad use the pad to clean up the pee and poo and put him on the soiled pad for him to gain some understand of where to go. Hopefully this helps...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.