Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
4,652 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ack...just broke the bank but I just placed a big order which *should* get us through until mid January (after I pick up a few big family packages of bone in chicken). I'm so excited though...I got several tubs of some regular grinds (turkey & whole rabbit this time), then some pork & beef heart & a couple bags of 1wk old quail. But I thought it would be fun to get one of their sampler packs so I added the 10lb sampler pack which has a great variety. Heres what it comes with:

1- 1 lb ground chicken/bone/organ
1 -1 lb ground pheasant/bone/organ
1 -1 lb ground rabbit/bone/organ
1- 1 lb whole carcass ground rabbit
1- 1 lb ground turkey/bone/organs
1- 1 lb ground duck/bone/organs
1- 1 lb ground quail/bones/organs
1- 1 lb whole carcass ground quail
1- 1 lb ground white fish/bones
1- 1 lb ground salmon/bones

I love how they come in 1lb increments so I don't have to hack the 5lb tubs up. :D I'm excited to try the fish...hopefully the pups like these better than the whole fish they've eaten. LOL

Saying that I'm so bummed--I had the goat grind left over from last time we fed raw. That was what I fed Mari when the others had beef. The most recent time I ordered from H-T I got her rabbit but I was out of rabbit today so gave her the goat. It made her sick. :( She'd been able to tolerate the goat fine but the last 2 times she's eaten it she's immediately gotten sick & vomitted it up. To rehash quickly she was able to eat beef just fine in the beginnig. So I guess she's now developing an intolerence to the goat as well. Which stinks because it was quite comparible to the beef compared to most foods. I'm trying to figure out just what these prey she can't tolerate have in common.

She can tolerate:
chicken
turkey
rabbit
pork
eggs
fish

What makes her sick:
beef
bisson
goat

What is the relation?? I'm not going to wrack my brain to try to figure it out...she can tolerate what she can tolerate, but I'm just wondering if I'm missing something obvious that you guys can see? I'm guessing she'll tolerate the other poultry items just fine in the sampler pack & hopefully the fish (she's only had smelts, tuna, mackerel & sardines). Just makes me wonder if it's something particular about the ones she can't eat. Just very strange....

·
Registered
3,090 Posts
Wow, cool order! Maybe because those meats are 'richer' than the other meats? Have you ever tried just offering tiny amounts of those? Does she throw up tiny amounts?

·
Registered
4,652 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, we tried for months before to get her built up to eating beef. Different parts of beef, etc. It's one of the major reasons why I stopped feeding raw before. I was totally stressing myself (and her) out by trying to get a better red meat into her diet. It would make her sick & then she'd get a major aversion to it & than to other foods (she's SO not a picky eater otherwise). She was afraid anything was going to make her sick. She used to be able to tolerate green tripe but then even that started to make her ill. Every time we got more than .2oz at a time she'd hurl no matter how slow we went. :( If I tried to give her just that at each meal regularly even that began to make her ill so I can only add in an itty bitty bit every once in a great while.

I forgot to add she can tolerate venison & lamb but we've only tried that in dehydrated raw (ZiwiPeak). I want to try feeding her those in raw to see if she can tolerate them that way.

·
Registered
923 Posts
Maybe it's just the red meats? It's uncommon, but not impossible. I'd stick to what she can have, and keep trying every so often to add SMALL amounts of stuff in.

Or take down a deer. ;)

·
Registered
4,652 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ahh, I'm trying soo hard to find some unwanted deer meat! LOL My two younger brothers have been hunting & they know I'm on the lookout. They even said they may know somebody with some leftovers from last year. *crossing fingers* I hope she'd be able to tolerate the raw venison ok--hopefully we find out soon!

I initially thought it was just a red meat thing but isn't rabbit a red meat? Maybe its just lean enough it doesn't bother her. She's had enough of it that I'd expect a reaction from her if she was going to have one.

I'll just add in tiny quantities once in a while like I have been. I just don't want to do it so much that she starts to snub any food that she suspects will make her feel sick like she did before. She even started to snub the pork even though it had never made her sick! She's eating that just fine now so I won't push my luck. LOL She gets a decent variety I guess considering & I'll keep on adding in the occassion ZP as well. (Unless I get my hands on that deer! LOLy

Thanks for the thoughts...I appreciate it very much! :)

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
Heather, I thought rabbit was white meat? Even when its cooked it sorta looks like chicken! Good luck with the deer :)

·
Registered
4,652 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
LOL...it very well could be a white meat. I've never cooked rabbit before. Haha So that would make perfect sense if it is a red meat thing! :)

·
Registered
2,398 Posts
Ahh, I'm trying soo hard to find some unwanted deer meat! LOL My two younger brothers have been hunting & they know I'm on the lookout. They even said they may know somebody with some leftovers from last year. *crossing fingers* I hope she'd be able to tolerate the raw venison ok--hopefully we find out soon!

I initially thought it was just a red meat thing but isn't rabbit a red meat? Maybe its just lean enough it doesn't bother her. She's had enough of it that I'd expect a reaction from her if she was going to have one.

I'll just add in tiny quantities once in a while like I have been. I just don't want to do it so much that she starts to snub any food that she suspects will make her feel sick like she did before. She even started to snub the pork even though it had never made her sick! She's eating that just fine now so I won't push my luck. LOL She gets a decent variety I guess considering & I'll keep on adding in the occassion ZP as well. (Unless I get my hands on that deer! LOLy

Thanks for the thoughts...I appreciate it very much! :)
Heather....so many dead deers on the freeway here!!..hehe..

·
Registered
3,090 Posts
Heather;

Have you tried posting on Craigslist or Freecycle for Venison? My friend has a 'winter' supply of Venison because she posted on craigslist a few years back, and now the deer hunters call her each year with their meat (that's who I go my rack of deer ribs from that's in my freezer).

·
Registered
4,652 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
LOL Moni! Wish I came across one around here. ;)

I haven't posted on craigslist but I've thought about it. I guess being hunting season nows just a good time as any to put something on there. I'm sure there has got to be some people wanting to clear out their freezers to make room for their new meat... I'll have to do that this weekend. Thanks for the idea!

·
Registered
3,012 Posts
Heather didn't hare today have venison? When I talked to tracy from hare today she said it was sessional. I thought I saw it on there not to long ago. I'm going to go check now.

·
Registered
4,652 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
It does but the only thing I could find on there was a venison/beef mix. :( otherwise I would have ordered some this time around!

·
Registered
3,012 Posts
They have a pampered pet package for $50 that looks good.

·
Registered
3,012 Posts
Let me know what you think. Their prices aren't bad. I don't know how much shipping is. I've had this website bookmarked for awhile because I wanted raw venison for the dogs. I'll have to place a pretend order and see what shipping would be to California. ;)

·
Registered
4,652 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Yeah, I always worry about shipping. I've lucked out with hare-today...I never seem to spend more than $25 though this time it was closer to $27 but the shipping weight was like 62lbs. Its funny because if I add the 50lb sampler pack to my cart the shipping jumps to over $40. Haha

Every other place I've looked at having meat shipped its over $40. I tried to "check out" on the venison site & my phone won't allow me to so I'll have to check from my laptop tomorrow.

I looked on craigslist & someone beat me to the add the other day. LOL Still may put one on but I'm going to check w/my brother because he said he had a friend that had a load of left overs. Maybe I'll score there. :)

·
Registered
4,652 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Yeah, I always worry about shipping. I've lucked out with hare-today...I never seem to spend more than $25 though this time it was closer to $27 but the shipping weight was like 62lbs. Its funny because if I add the 50lb sampler pack to my cart the shipping jumps to over $40. Haha

Every other place I've looked at having meat shipped its over $40. I tried to "check out" on the venison site & my phone won't allow me to so I'll have to check from my laptop tomorrow.

I looked on craigslist & someone beat me to the add the other day. LOL Still may put one on but I'm going to check w/my brother because he said he had a friend that had a load of left overs. Maybe I'll score there. :)

1 - 20 of 21 Posts