Chihuahua People Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have a problem, that I'm pretty sure we can't fix. Bijoux will not stop eating cat food! She loves it and now rarely eats her own kibble. It's driving me up the wall!

I know what your thinking Feed the cat and dog in separate rooms then lift up the bowls. I would just love to do that except for one itty bitty problem. My grandmother. She is convinced that if I were to just feed Kuzo -the cat- twice a day and not free feed it will be the end of the world.But in all honesty I think it would be good for him. Since living with her he has put on a LOT of unhealthy weight. Which of course she doesn't see, all she sees is her rescue kitty whom she simply adores.

Since living with her I've had to give up raw and I've had to deal with her feeding kitchen scraps but Bijoux eating cat food is simply the last straw she has LP she has to get the best nutrition possible and she sure as heck isn't getting it from cat food!!

I am at my wits end, I cannot move Kuzo's dishes because that is 'abuse' I can't monitor her 24/7 I work and I can't prevent my gma from letting her eat it when I'm away. I just don't know what to do any longer. I'm currently feeding puppy wellness, but when the bag is empty I will switch her to Royal Cannin, when she was a puppy she loved that food. And even tho I know it is not the best I would much much rather her eat that then whiskas cat food...at least until I graduate and move out next April.
Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated, thanks for letting me vent.

·
Registered
311 Posts
We build a storage box and just elevated the bowls out of dogs reach. It also doubles as critter storage supply (I have a few hooks in it as well as various sized storage boxes for treats,cat-food holder/storage/ dog-food storage, medical, sweaters, flea preventative, grooming, etc~ it's slick). The cats actually like it better as they prefer to be elevated for a better view. Until my Dad build the "official box", we used a cardboard one, but anything would have worked ~ those Tupperware Keepers would work fine too. My Mom was always very strict about dogs not getting cat-food as she said it totally fouled their internals. Maybe grandma would agree to it if you keep the food bowls in the same place, just elevated enough to Bijoux couldn't help herself tot he buffet :).

Hopefully you will find something that works.

·
Registered
3,287 Posts
I also feed my cat from a bench. Of course, my bench is low, but I also don't put her food out if Angel is around. It's too bad when people can't seem to understand about weight issues with pets. Try elevating the cats food and see if that works!

·
Registered
3,206 Posts
I know exactly how frustrated you're feeling. I had the same problem at my dad's with his cats and my Chihuahua. If no one was home to hell her "NO!" after the cats were fed, my Chihuahua would go straight to the cat plates and inhale whatever they left behind. She lives with him now since I left the country, and I think the situation has gotten worse because he leaves the house in the morning for work right after he feeds the cats... So my Chihuahua is unsupervised and free to eat the cat food if they leave any behind while he's not home. :foxes15:

Is there a room you could possibly set up for Bijoux to be in when you are at work and can't supervise her? Or where does your grandma feed her cat? You could gate that room off so that Bijoux can't get in it, but so the cat will be able to hop the gate. I also used to just put the cat's plates on the table bench which was too high for my Chihuahua to jump up on, and make them eat up there when I wasn't going to be able to watch her. Maybe your grandma will allow you one of these three suggestions. Just tell her it's really bad for Bijoux to eat cat food since it's so high in fat and calories. Even if it was a really high quality cat food, it would still be bad for her to be consuming so much of it.

·
Banned
6,940 Posts
Well if you want a big huge whopping bill for pancreatitis or liver/kidney problems, just keep letting her at the cat food. It is BAD for them and NOT designed for their systems. It is way too high in fat and can cause serious problems for dogs.

·
Registered
410 Posts
Bandit would love to eat the cat food. My first attempts were to elevate the food in the same room. That worked okay until Bandit got smart enough to get to the food anyway. It is now elevated in another room, and blocked off by a baby gate. Any time I moved the food I picked up the cats and showed them where is was. They are very flexible.

Another advantage of the baby gate is that it gives the cats someplace to go to get away from the puppy. Bandit is very hyper, and they need an escape.

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
What about aversive conditioning? Can you TRAIN Bijoux to leave the cat food alone? Yes, it takes time and effort but it might work. We leave our cats food (and their litter boxes) in our downstairs storage room with the door open 24/7. Brody ate cat poop ONCE and got in their cat food ONCE. Only once because we trained him NOT to do it.

Does Bijoux know the leave it command? You can start there. It depends on how sensitive she is and if she wants to please you. It won't work with every dog. Some dogs couldn't give a flip.

Brody is trained to NEVER sniff or go near the cat boxes. He avoids them like the plague. He has decided that if there are any cat kibbles on the floor, they are fair game, and he will eat them. But he will NOT eat out of their bowl. He's been trained to be pretty much bomb proof. It can be done.

·
Registered
3,889 Posts
We have the same problem here but we put the car food bowl up high no idea what to suggest since ur grandma won't allow it maybe a vibration collar to train bijoux to stay away from the bowl I have one u press a button on a remote and it makes the collar vibrate like a cell phone I use it at night sometimes when I let the dogs out I don't even have to push the button anymore as soon as I put the collar on they zip it lol

·
Read Only
1,949 Posts
My roommate has a cat, and Penny loves to inhale the cat's food if it is left within her reach. We put up a gate, so the dogs can't get to it but the cat can jump over the gate. Maybe try putting up a gate in front of it?

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Nope I'm not to elevate this dishes that is 'abuse' to Kuzo...I have yet to figure out how but apparently it is :(

Aversive training Tracey you are a genius why didn't I think of that?! She knows I don't want her to eat it she waits until I leave to go to work then goes at it or if my grandma's home she just does it. But since she knows that much I bet you I can catch her eventually...

Thanks for the suggestions I'm going to try it she also goes for cat litter again, when I'm not home, but apparently a baby gate is also abuse...ironic she is loving her cat to death..

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
Kelsey, training CAN work, but it will take time and persistence and consistency. Brody learned really quick that if he even LOOKED at the cat food he got a 'bad boy' from us and he is so sensitive and wants to please so he learned really fast not to go close to that bowl. We also did "leave it" using his treats and cat food. Would show him his treat and say "take it" and then show him cat food and say "leave it." It progressed to where we could leave pieces of cat kibble on the floor and train him to 'leave it' while walking by, making sure to correct if he even looked at it. After a few times, he was bomb proof. :)

Did the same thing with the litter boxes. Came home one day and he'd gotten into it and brought a turd upstairs. He was pretty proud of it. Until we saw it. Then he got in trouble and we told him that was a LEAVE IT and that's all it took.

With a sensitive, easy dog like Brody that wants to please - you can train them pretty quickly and easily. This doesn't work with some dogs that don't have that personality. So mileage may vary. :) But it is certainly worth trying.

·
Registered
573 Posts
The ferrets are fed a mix of 2 high-quality kitty foods, and Lacey would gladly eat their food over anything else. However, having even a couple pieces of it in her system makes her throw up. As the furboys can't be trained to stop tossing their kibble bits out of their cage, Lacey had to be taught to ignore the tasty morsels her brothers cast aside to torment her with. SOMEHOW I managed to teach her the "leave it" command after only 1 time of using it.
She wandered up to the kibble, and I said, "Lacey. NO! Leave it!" and it startled her away from the food, so I gave her lots of praise and love.
Each time after that when she would go up to a piece, I'd just say "Leave it." in a stern warning tone and she would walk away from the kibble. It took several times of doing this, but now she knows better than to even look at the pieces.
Tracy's right. Bijoux can be taught, too! You just need to have the patience (and I know you do). :)

·
Registered
2,050 Posts
The ferrets are fed a mix of 2 high-quality kitty foods, and Lacey would gladly eat their food over anything else. However, having even a couple pieces of it in her system makes her throw up. As the furboys can't be trained to stop tossing their kibble bits out of their cage, Lacey had to be taught to ignore the tasty morsels her brothers cast aside to torment her with. SOMEHOW I managed to teach her the "leave it" command after only 1 time of using it.
She wandered up to the kibble, and I said, "Lacey. NO! Leave it!" and it startled her away from the food, so I gave her lots of praise and love.
Each time after that when she would go up to a piece, I'd just say "Leave it." in a stern warning tone and she would walk away from the kibble. It took several times of doing this, but now she knows better than to even look at the pieces.
Tracy's right. Bijoux can be taught, too! You just need to have the patience (and I know you do). :)
We have this same problem with the rat food. They chew the block down to a little chunk and then toss the rest out. My chi has been trained exactly like brodysmom described and she would sooner die than eat a piece of rat food now. But our bigger dog still "forgets" a lot. I am around whenever they have access to that room so we are still working on it, but with my chi it was easy easy.
If I could just stop the rats from wasting food I would be all set!

·
Banned
5,610 Posts
Will she let you move the dishes even a foot and a half higher than they already are? Our cat's dishes are on an ottoman type storage block. We don't free feed them, but it works well. We sometimes pet sit other dogs, and it's nice for the cats to have a place to go to eat in peace.

·
Registered
475 Posts
At every chance, our dogs dive into the dry cat food and eat as much as they can before we can grab them up. It's weird how dogs love cat food. Maybe it's just because they want revenge on our cat lol.

Elevate the food or train your dog not to eat it (which we simply just can't do, lol) or something. Cat food is bad for them and it's best to figure something out ASAP.

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
My cat bowls are down and I have trained the dogs to leave it alone. It took some time but now I have the opposite problem one of my cats is wanting to eat the dogs food lol the cat is not as easy to train lol.

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
We have this same problem with the rat food. They chew the block down to a little chunk and then toss the rest out. My chi has been trained exactly like brodysmom described and she would sooner die than eat a piece of rat food now. But our bigger dog still "forgets" a lot. I am around whenever they have access to that room so we are still working on it, but with my chi it was easy easy.
If I could just stop the rats from wasting food I would be all set!
DITTO!! All the dogs scavenge under that cage daily. I finally moved the food dish to bottom level and then started making little barriers around the bottom of the cage. It kind of worked, with the aspen mostly. They still sometimes move things to a different level and throw it over, though.

I'm not sure what to say though Kelsey.. I had that issue when living with my mom for a while after my boyfriend and I broke up. :mad: I took two of our dogs and my parents just don't get the nutrition thing at all. *sniffle* it was back in the day when I wanted Evo... and they wanted Purina.. I just started having to crate them when I was gone and couldn't watch them. I got a huge XXL crate; and just filled it with beds and pillows. No potty pad, since I was never gone longer than they could hold it. But I felt safe; they were still crated BUT had a ton of room. And, it fit in my bedroom. I wish I had a pic but I don't think I do!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.