Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bijoux weighs freaking 3.7 lbs that's right she';s huge I'll admit it i'm worried. I knew this may happen with a merle but now i'm just worried about potential complications of her growth.

Anyone have a big chi like this? I have to admit it's really getting to me...

Also any guesstimations on her weight? I'm guessing at least 10lbs

·
Read Only
1,949 Posts
How old is she? Maybe you can talk to your vet when she goes in for her shots? I don't really have an answer of what her weight might be, but the chihuahua weight charts stop at 6 lbs. I am guessing she will be between 10-12 lbs since she is double the weight for a 8-9 week old puppy that would mature at 6 pounds. Sorry if that sounds confusing...

·
Registered
4,652 Posts
? There should be absolutely no health reasons for you to be worried just because she's bit & a merle? Some Chi's are just big! :) When you buy a Chi & want it in the standard (under 6lbs) you won't want to get one that is under 2lbs at 8 weeks old. Milo is our biggest & we didn't get him until he was 18 weeks. We knew he was going to be a big boy...he was 7lbs then. He'll be 4 in December & is 8-8.5lbs so not only was he big when we brought him home but he was definitely over weight. haha But still...I love him non the less. I knew he was going to be a big boy when we got him. :)

Is Bijoux chunky at all? Some puppies have a lot of FAT. Some puppies are just big! If he's average sized while it's impossible to tell, I'm going to guess she'll be around 10lbs as well. Here is a fun chart you can follow. If your Chi is & stays in correct body condition it typically holds true within a pound either way. Chihuahua Growth Chart

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
Don't panic!

Godric weighed up to 9lbs at his heaviest while he was a baby but once he adjusted his body he trimmed right up and he's 1yr old and 7lb and he's skinny for his body.

I think all puppies go through the "fat" stage just like babies.

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you everyone, I would actually like her to be a bigger girl for Lincoln. I was just worried that she was getting too big too fast, with Goldens thats a huge concern for joints I guess I was translating that to her because I was always making sure Lincoln grew slowly.

MChis according to your chart she will be approx 10 lbs, lets see if it's right :p Thanks again everyone for keeping me grounded I guess it's just new mama jitters -.-

·
Banned
6,940 Posts
If she is 3.7 lbs at 9-10 weeks old, you are probably looking at more like a 12-15 lb girl...considering that she is merle, I would not expect her to stay as small as 10 lbs being that she's as large as she is as young. But it should not have any negative implications on her overall health or well being.

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
If I had to guess, I'd say about 12-13 pounds as an adult. That is still a small dog! :)

Like Heather said, an 8 week old puppy that should stay within the standard should be less than 2 pounds at 8 weeks. Brody was 2 pounds at 11 weeks and he's now right at 5 pounds so I go by that, although every dog grows differently.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Wow big girl! She must just be trying to catch up to Lincoln so they can play rough :).
I believe Aimee is the same age as Bijoux give or take a day, and she weighs 1.86 lbs. It's really fun to watch them grow and develop.

Some chi's are just bigger than the standard. However, Isabelle was tracking by the charts to be 7-8 lbs. The majority of people on this forum (when I posted a weight question when she was 4 months or so) predicted she would be around 7lbs or more. Now at 8 months she has barely just scraped the 5lb mark, so predictions and charts can also be incorrect. When I got her Isabelle's breeder said she would be around 5.5-6lbs fully grown, which is where about she will finish. My advice is providing she came from a good breeder who knows their lines, trust their opinion the most.

·
Banned
51 Posts
Why are you so concerned about her weight? Size shouldn't matte when it comes down to a pet. Merles are rarely below standard due to the crossing of daxis to get the colour. Unless you get a merle froma breeder who knows what they are doing and breed merles for generations to get the size down and the type it is unlikely you will get a chi within the breed standard (for the AKC they are banned inthe uk)

I wouldn't worry about health implications due to her size unless she's grossly overweight then I would worry about her patellas etc. As long as she's not from a merle x merle breeding there should *fingers crossed* not be any problems related to the merle gene.

If I was you I'd stop panicking and put all that energy into your pet.

·
Registered
469 Posts
Why are you so concerned about her weight? Size shouldn't matte when it comes down to a pet. Merles are rarely below standard due to the crossing of daxis to get the colour. Unless you get a merle froma breeder who knows what they are doing and breed merles for generations to get the size down and the type it is unlikely you will get a chi within the breed standard (for the AKC they are banned inthe uk)

I wouldn't worry about health implications due to her size unless she's grossly overweight then I would worry about her patellas etc. As long as she's not from a merle x merle breeding there should *fingers crossed* not be any problems related to the merle gene.

If I was you I'd stop panicking and put all that energy into your pet.
Do you mean banned as in can not kc reg over here,
as not banned in general as there is plenty, in fact they seem to very popular now, the lady who breeds them near to us has her litters spoken for before there born, seems to be a waiting list for them,

·
Banned
51 Posts
Do you mean banned as in can not kc reg over here,
as not banned in general as there is plenty, in fact they seem to very popular now, the lady who breeds them near to us has her litters spoken for before there born, seems to be a waiting list for them,
Yes as in can't be registered. Merles are not recognised by the british chihuahua club there was a huge debate over it, chairman wrote to the AKC etc with evidence that the merle gene did not exist in chihuahuas and was therefore bred in by cross breeding (if my memory serves me right dachshunds were crossed into them) to have the merle gene.

Problem is people think they look nice and don't research intothe history. You haveto be very careful when breeding merles (and obv when buying one) or you could end up with a whole bunch of health problems same as harlequins in Danes.. The info is out there!

·
Registered
4,172 Posts
Weight seems very unpredictable to me. Both of my girls have EXACTLY followed the chart. Time will be the final judge. They are 8.5 months and 9 months (today!) and weigh 3.5 lbs. and 3.6 lbs.
I will say that they are both MUCH smaller than their parents AND their litter mates. By pounds, not ounces. Both breeders are very surprised. With Hope there was not even a bit of difference in her size and litter mates. Ruby was older (14 weeks) when we got her and she was a couple of ounces smaller but that was barely a discernible difference from her pack.
It will not be until my girls are 18-24 months that I will know where they will really be in terms of weight and size. The same will be true of your baby.

·
Registered
3,889 Posts
If you're concerned about size and knowmerles are bigger chis why did you get a Merle? Size doesn't affect health I have a 9 lb chihuahua and a 3 lb they're both equally special 10 lbs isn't that big mine is over weight but she still fits into size small clothing just heavier on the arm when carrying her around other than that no difference

·
Registered
3,771 Posts
Both my boys are "big" according to most of the chis here on the forum. Frankie is 9 lbs. and by no means fat at all. Benny is yes, 13.4 lbs. and on a diet of sorts but vet says he should be around 11.5 to 12. He is just a big chi. He always has been big, plus he has lots of hair and fur that grows in the opposite direction on his neck so he looks like he weighs 20 lbs.!!!!!!!!!!

I love them just the way they are! :hello1:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts