Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've made a change for meal times and I can't believe I haven't always been doing it this way, but I guess up until recently it's been fine feeding them together. Maybe when Billa spent her time eating alone while Roxy was upstairs recovering she started to think she owned the dish or something lol.

Billa (she isn't fat or overweight looking) is a PIG. She doesn't even take her head out of the bowl long enough for Roxy to get what I think is enough food so I've started taking one of them out of the kitchen while the other eats, then switching. That's easier than training them to eat from their own bowls at this time. Roxy is naturally thin but I really think she could use some more meat on her. My darn little piggy!

·
Banned
6,940 Posts
It's really not that hard to teach them to eat out of their own bowls, hun. Put two bowls down on opposite sides of the room, let them eat, when (probably Billa is done first), put her in the other room until Roxy is done.

I agree that you could put another few oz on little Miss Roxy, but she is built thin and long too.

·
Registered
489 Posts
my two were just the same bonnie hardley got a look in the bowl so i had to start feeding them seperate is well....tryed to get them to eat out of their own bowls but it just didnt work....

·
Registered
3,090 Posts
Zoey used to eat so fast she'd choke. I had to put a tennis ball in her food to slow her down.

·
Registered
4,652 Posts
Definitely agree with Kristi. I have six trained to eat from their own bowls at the same time. Took some time as when feeding raw it on a towel & a bit confusing for them...but now we have a routine down they do great! Do what she said & when Billa finishes & tries to get Roxy's...just shoe her out of the room & let Roxy finish. After a while Billa will learn to just go out of the room when she's finished.

I do still stand close by to make sure everyone leaves in peace w/o disturbing the others who haven't finished their meal yet. They weren't so tempted when it was ZiwiPeak or Honest Kitchen...but with raw they're a little more tempted to see what everyone else is eating. LOL But here is my crew at meal time if you want to see . :)

YouTube - MChi Chihuahuas Raw Meal of a Cornish Hen

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
I had the same problem, Godric is an absolute cow and as Gretel was an only child for so long she didn't really want him near her food when she was trying to eat so I started out feeding him in his pen and then her where I usually feed. They can now eat side by side but he is so anxious I feed him first usually as it distracts him when i'm putting her kibble down. When he's finished he usually trods off and plays till she finishes.

·
Registered
4,448 Posts
Poppy is the same. She wolfs her's down and will happily push Billy and darcy out the way to eat there's. I did feed her in her crate but have taken the divider out now so pixie just has hers in it. I've been training her for only 3 days now not to touch the other bowls and already she is getting the message. I just gently push her away and say no. I do have to watch her like a hawk tho.

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Definitely agree with Kristi. I have six trained to eat from their own bowls at the same time. Took some time as when feeding raw it on a towel & a bit confusing for them...but now we have a routine down they do great! Do what she said & when Billa finishes & tries to get Roxy's...just shoe her out of the room & let Roxy finish. After a while Billa will learn to just go out of the room when she's finished.

I do still stand close by to make sure everyone leaves in peace w/o disturbing the others who haven't finished their meal yet. They weren't so tempted when it was ZiwiPeak or Honest Kitchen...but with raw they're a little more tempted to see what everyone else is eating. LOL But here is my crew at meal time if you want to see . :)

YouTube - MChi Chihuahuas Raw Meal of a Cornish Hen

I actually commented on that video when you posted it, I could not believe how well they do that!! :) That's awesome. That does sound way easier than I was thinking.. I don't really know what I was thinking but it definitely sounds great. I'll try it out next meal time. Thanks guys. (I'm not bothered with this new method though, for the record :) )

She is definitely very thin naturally! My darling little thing.

Amanda and rache I hope I have the same luck as you guys do. Billa is really good about training so I bet it will be quick!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts