Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
9,210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
nothing is changed, no shots, she is as spunky as ever, but today I noticed a lump it's in between where her rib cage ends and her thigh bone, kinda where the "tuck" waistline is on the left side. Size of a sm grape but not as round, does not seem to be "hard". Gut is telling me like a pulled muscle, ya know how they swell out.

I guess I will keep an eye on it, can a hernia be in that spot?

She and Kemo do daily gymnastics so that is what I am thinking. Good grief I hope it's nothing more. :roll:

She gets spayed in two weeks.

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Tucker got a lump there after his knee surgery. Turned out that it was from the antibiotic injection they'd given him for the surgery.

It could be a lipoma, which is benign and usually doesn't cause problems. I'd watch it for a week-or-so to see if it enlarges. If fit does, I would have it checked. :)

·
Banned
9,271 Posts
Awww poor bindi - like you say it might just be a hernia - does it seem to hurt her ? it could just be fatty tissue - if your worried get the vet to check it out or give them a quick ring - keep us posted vic :wave:

·
Registered
9,210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
ozzysmom said:
Awww poor bindi - like you say it might just be a hernia - does it seem to hurt her ? it could just be fatty tissue - if your worried get the vet to check it out or give them a quick ring - keep us posted vic :wave:
No I was asking if one (hernia) could be in that spot? Does not hurt her at all, we have been poking it, pushing it etc--I noticed that is the exact spot Kemo uses hold her when he humps her :shock: , maybe he got a little "ruff" :lol:

Thanks everyone, I will see what happens. :)

·
Registered
7,716 Posts
hmmm. not sure. i'm paranoid with lumps and bumps. even on myself! i'm always going to my mom and saying "look feel this is it normal, i have a tumor." it's probably just nothing. the vet will check it out if you mention it when she gets spayed.

·
Registered
3,815 Posts
Hi there! She's quite young for any kind of neoplastic growth, a hernia is "sort of" possible but extremely rare, and that area around the last rib is liver/spleen so it would be very painful. If you can push it so it recedes, it's likely a hernia and I would get it resolved immediately through your vet. If it maintains shape when you squeeze it, and has a bit of firmness, and your chi doesn't exhibit pain when you squeeze, a growth is possible. Common things these little ones can get include sebaceous gland tumors, lipomas. Best idea is to let a vet check it out, do a fine needle aspirate it and and do a cytology to find out what cells the mass is composed of.

A few other things I might consider are some sort of soft tissue abcess, possible at the site of an injury, vaccine-mediated subcutaneous sarcoma (as extremely RARE as they are, they have been observed to begin growth weeks after a vaccination), or possibly an insect bite.

Let a vet sort it out, there's no such thing as being too careful, and a growth-type area on the skin is never great news.

Good luck!
-Nate

1 - 15 of 15 Posts