Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i purchased a beautiful black and white short hair apple headed chihuahua a week ago for $200 with purebred ckc papers. the breeder's was a very nice old couple in there 70's that where getting out of the breeding game. they had 2 akc dame's 1 ckc dame and 1 akc stud. guess which dame i got a puppy from?all the chi's they had where free whelper's and i am hoping mine will be to. my pup weigh's right now 2-2.5lbs at 8 weeks so i'm expecting 6-7lbs at full grown.her parents where around 7-8lbs. i plan on breeding her with a 3-4lbs ckc male when she is 2yo. HOW SAFE WOULD IT BE TO BREED HER WITH THE ABOVE INFO? please don't jump down my thought about not using akc dog's. i have moral issue's with akc closing the gene pool which eventually lead's to inbreeding and health issues. if akc would open there registry and allow DNA proven purebred dogs to join i would have no issue's with them.

·
Administrator
5,713 Posts
Honestly, it is never safe to breed a Chihuahua. Even with a self-whelped larger bitch there is a risk.
Being experienced or having an experienced mentor on hand during the birth will minimize the risks as will having a vet who is knowledgeable about breeding.
There is no way you can assess a pup accurately at this age and ascertain that she will be suitable for breeding. Kennel club registration is no guarantee of quality.
I would strongly suggest keeping her as a beloved pet only.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i know you cant asses the pup right now. i plan on getting x rays of her hip's when she is 2yo to ascertain safe breeding. i was just wondering if the info i gave above would lessen her chance of birthing issue's. i cant understand how this breed survived in the wild when c sections required are at 34% they should have been wiped out long ago. to be honest i didn't want a chihuahua my mom talked me into getting her although i am becoming a little attached. what i wanted was another standard Manchester terrier mine passed away at almost 16yo last month. there a hard breed to find. but if i find a manchester down the road ill give dottie to my mom as she want's her.

·
Registered
6,172 Posts
I so agree with Stella. Trying to make money off of breeding dogs just doesn't work. The pups could die, the bitch could die (pre-eclampsia) or you could just have bad luck. It really isn't worth it. We are not trying to 'jump down your throat', just telling it like it is. There is a 'sticky' about breeding that may open your eyes on the forum here. Read it.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i know you wont make much or anything at all with chi's being that the market is flooded with them. it was a idea because my mom,cousin and aunt want one. i do have experience in breeding dog's. i used to breed miniature pinscher's when i was a kid and started breeding Manchester terrier's when i was 18 . i only ever needed one c section and that was on a min pin that had seven pup's. as for the not making money breeding is total bs for most breeds ,although i have now learned there are a few not worth the risk like chi's. i used to make $2.5k+ per litter after vet bill's on akc Manchester's at $800 a pup now they go for around 1k to 1.5k a pup. i retired and adopted out the two girls at 7yo and kept the male. min pin's if i remember right we only made about 1k per litter after vet bill's. so there is money in breeding if you choose the right breed anybody that tell's you otherwise is either a breeder or misinformed.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
as long as you treat the animal as a beloved pet and make sure there health comes first there's no issue with me. dog breeding should be seen as a side business never a occupation. meaning only ever a hand full of dogs . that's where puppy mill and kennels go wrong locking many dog's in cages with hardly any human contact for the sole purpose of breeding every heat cycle. i never did that our breeding pet's lived in our house slept with us in bed was bred every other heat heat cycle x ray before birth and given a custom mash for food after birth for a week along with a vet visit for puppy shots and mother check up. the mash if anybody want's to know was a vet's secret it had white chicken,fresh beef liver,cod fish,cream,milk and a multi vitamin powder heavy in calcium all ground up into a mash. this stuff stinks to high heaven but helps a mother bounce back more quickly and helps her to produce milk more easily.

·
Administrator
5,713 Posts
Sorry but I disagree.
You don't even want this dog, you just want to use her as a breeding machine to make some money.

What about the pups you create? You have a responsibility to them as well.
You should have a better reason to breed, eg producing puppies that are excellent examples of the breed, if they aren't as good as or ideally better than their parents, you are just adding to the over population problem in order to line your own pocket.
A dog is not a commodity to be exploited.

·
Registered
839 Posts
i cant understand how this breed survived in the wild
...these are Chihuahuas. They are a domestic, man-made breed that have never lived in the wild, so...they haven't?

So your mom talked you into getting a pup of a breed you didn't want, because you couldn't find what you wanted, but the minute you DO find what you want you will dump this puppy and give her to your mom?

I'd have to suggest that perhaps this site is not going to be the right fit for you or your intentions. I really have to hope you change direction and either don't take the pup, or at least commit to keeping her as a lifelong companion rather than a source of income :( I honestly feel very bad for this beautiful pup.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
wow people learn to read i never once said i wanted to breed her for money. i have 3 family members that want one if i did breed her. i also stated i am growing attached to her over time i may decide she's all i need I've only had her a week. i lost my manchester i had for 16 years last month and it's hard to fully open my heart to another but she is working her way in. yes i do have a background in breeding but i would not do it with chi's as there is no money in it and the dame is at risk. as for the adding to the over population in animal shelter i have never once seen a purebred in one all i have ever seen is mutts and ton's of bull dogs. why do you people jump to conclusions then ostracize me it sickens me to think how people love to attack other's. i have never bred sub par dog's all where top quality the dame's health was always first. i never treated them like livestock they where treated like pet's and the dame's all got new homes and spayed when i retired them. i kept the male's. so anything bad you say about my past breeding experience is not going to bother me because i know what i produced was top quality pet's with a few show and sport dog's in the mix.

·
Registered
488 Posts
I hear you with the AKC, and Manchesters sure are super rare, unfortunately. My guess is that, as your puppy grows, you will find that she is simply not breeding quality. Most pet-bred dogs do not have proper body structure, and you sound experienced enough to know not to perpetuate major faults like crooked/weak legs or a seriously bad top line, etc. Enjoy your little cutie for now, and revisit these thoughts in a year when you know more. You may feel differently then!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
6,617 Posts
I agree with all of the above. I also agree with the above poster in that you will find this chi is not breeding quality as she grows older. She is also not an apple head chi, she is a very beautiful pet quality deer head chi. It doesn't seem you've done much research on the breed, prior to getting her. She deserves to be in a loving environment with an owner who wants her and isn't thinking of trading her off for something else in the future. I would take the advice of everyone's posts on here, as we are all experienced and knowledgeable chi parents that are IN LOVE with the breed. You will not get anyone on here speaking negatively about chi's as a breed. Best of luck!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
it's true i don't know much about chi's that's why i came on here and done research. i just wanted to know if her past would lower her risk of breeding complication's to say 20% or below which is average for most breeds. i take breeding seriously and i have decided not to breed her for family if she was at a greater then 20% of risk to complication's or had breed fault's like luxating patella . her health is priority 1. maybe she's a pear head as her snout seem's to short to be a deer head.

·
Premium Member
6,617 Posts
it's true i don't know much about chi's that's why i came on here and done research. i just wanted to know if her past would lower her risk of breeding complication's to say 20% or below which is average for most breeds. i take breeding seriously and i have decided not to breed her for family if she was at a greater then 20% of risk to complication's or had breed fault's like luxating patella . her health is priority 1. maybe she's a pear head as her snout seem's to short to be a deer head.
Well it is great that you've come here to educate yourself on the breed. There are many knowledgeable chi owners on here who can help guide you, and give you all of the advice you need, even if their honest seems a bit harsh, intentions are always good.

Your chihuahua is a deer head. The breed standard recognizes the apple head chihuahua. However, a chihuahua is a chihuahua, they are one breed with a couple distinctions. Head shape deer vs Apple, and coat length long vs short. Pear shape is actually a term used to describe the head shape of a chi who has been bred with one deer head parent and one apple head parent, which is a no no! It has nothing to do with the muzzle. No two chis are exactly alike, as they are a vastly bred breed, meaning an apple head next to another Apple head may still be drastically different in features, muzzle shape, head shape structural build, etc. I have two deer and two Apple. Something else you should know is all new pups have short muzzles lol, your chis muzzle WILL grow longer as she gets older. Even an apple head chis head shape, muzzle and eyes change form, become more pronounced as they get older. Pups change as they grow just like a human child would.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
i know her muzzle will grow, along with her head and the rest of her body. i figured she was a apple head from online photo's her snout and the huge apple shaped skull. but photo's can be misleading and you have a few so ill take your word for it. does anybody know a safe chew toy or chew treat for chi puppies. every time i play with her she tries to chew on my fingers?

·
Registered
6,172 Posts
Kong has lots of stuff that puppies can chew on. Have one where you relax and pull it out when she is on your lap. Only give it to her, when you are being still, like watching TV.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts