Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,
last night we had a pretty terrible situation happen with the chi we've had for a little over 3 months now. He was a rehome and we don't know about his past.
Someone close to me was playing with him last night and had their face on his belly. They play like this often, however for some reason, last night he bit during play without warning. The wound was nasty.
He doesn't growl before snapping, so we never know when a bite is coming. He's snapped a few times before but never bitten like this, and I don't know what to do. Help and advice is very is appreciated.

·
Registered
560 Posts
It sounds like he doesn't like the way that person is playing with him. I would tell that person to not put his or her face so close to him. Lots of dogs are uncomfortable with that.

When some dogs are uncomfortable, they let it go for so long, until it gets to be too much. Biting is a last resort.

I wonder if he was punished for growling in his previous home. That could cause a dog to not give a growl warning before a bite.

There are some body language cues that dogs give if they are uncomfortable. These can be useful, since the dog doesn't growl before biting.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It sounds like he doesn't like the way that person is playing with him. I would tell that person to not put his or her face so close to him. Lots of dogs are uncomfortable with that.

When some dogs are uncomfortable, they let it go for so long, until it gets to be too much. Biting is a last resort.

I wonder if he was punished for growling in his previous home. That could cause a dog to not give a growl warning before a bite.

There are some body language cues that dogs give if they are uncomfortable. These can be useful, since the dog doesn't growl before biting.

I really appreciate your reply, thank you. I do agree that that type of play should stop, and I'll certainly give that article a read as it would be very useful to gage his reactions preceeding a bite whenever possible. I really hope it never happens again.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I really appreciate your reply, thank you. I do agree that that type of play should stop, and I'll certainly give that article a read as it would be very useful to gage his reactions preceeding a bite whenever possible. I really hope it never happens again.
Ollie hates this kind of play too, so I stopped it from happening, and he has never bit me since.

·
Registered
3 Posts
hello i just adopt an little chi couple weeks ago, she is very cute and Restless :) when she's playing with us, firstly kissing slowly and than she's going to bite (especially face), she's more aggressive with my mom than me because sometimes i get mad at her. so i don't know why is she doing this, but it's getting harmful 😊 if anybody know how make her not to bite us please help me🙏🙏, thank you!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Does she bite with all kinds of play or just a few kinds.

Some chihuahuas don´t like it when you get up in their face (I´m looking at you, Ollie) Some perceive direct eye contact as a threat, so try not to look her in the eye.

Is it like a hard bite or a play bite?

Does she give any warnings before lashing (ex. Growling, baring teeth)?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Does she bite with all kinds of play or just a few kinds.

Some chihuahuas don´t like it when you get up in their face (I´m looking at you, Ollie) Some perceive direct eye contact as a threat, so try not to look her in the eye.

Is it like a hard bite or a play bite?

Does she give any warnings before lashing (ex. Growling, baring teeth)?
She’s on to us! I think she’s playing with us becouse she enjoys it and asking for bite but she is getting harder😁 i think it’s kinda teeth growing thing. I don’t know but it’s getting hurt

1 - 7 of 7 Posts